Hello from ChargePoint!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
DuncanCunningham said:
Glad they are watching us. Lets be nice to them. they are not making a killing on us selling stations.

I agree. It's good they are here. And EV drivers know best where charging stations are needed. I think having us send requests for businesses is a clever way to intelligently deploy a network. I just hope that it's not their only method (and I doubt it is).

I disagree. I am not the one to tell chargepoint the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of where I want a charger. What would I get from giving a long list of businesses to chargepoint? Then they would cold call the business, just like all the solar companies, and home repair calls that I hang up on the telephone.

What I think is better, is...

If I, an EV owner, had information (in my hand) about how businesses would install chargepoint charging stations in the community, I would be more informed on how to recommend chargepoint. Personally, I want to know how chargepoint works, and will not recommend the company unless I know how they work. Also, I, as a customer, would be more convincing to a business if I ASK them to look into a charging station. In that way, the businesses would see that they would get more business ($$$) from electric car drivers.

powersurge said:
GetOffYourGas said:
DuncanCunningham said:
Glad they are watching us. Lets be nice to them. they are not making a killing on us selling stations.

I agree. It's good they are here. And EV drivers know best where charging stations are needed. I think having us send requests for businesses is a clever way to intelligently deploy a network. I just hope that it's not their only method (and I doubt it is).

I disagree. I am not the one to tell chargepoint the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of where I want a charger. What would I get from giving a long list of businesses to chargepoint? Then they would cold call the business, just like all the solar companies, and home repair calls that I hang up on the telephone.

What I think is better, is...

If I, an EV owner, had information (in my hand) about how businesses would install chargepoint charging stations in the community, I would be more informed on how to recommend chargepoint. Personally, I want to know how chargepoint works, and will not recommend the company unless I know how they work. Also, I, as a customer, would be more convincing to a business if I ASK them to look into a charging station. In that way, the businesses would see that they would get more business ($$$) from electric car drivers.

So let's assume that your method is more convincing to the business owner. What do you have against using both methods? Note that I did say that I hope this isn't their only method of deploying their network. You seem to be framing it as an either/or while I view it as a both/and.

We wanted to update this thread to let you all know that we've recently introduced tap to charge for iPhone, Android, and Apple Watch!

To use this new feature, all you need to do is hold your phone (with the ChargePoint app installed) against any ChargePoint station to start charging. See how it works in the video below.

https://youtu.be/10jozoPlSgk

You can read more about the new feature on this LA Times article: http://lat.ms/2hDJJn4
Or on the ChargePoint blog: http://bit.ly/2xH5rNo

Personally, I think many of us in AZ would like to see your Fast Charge Chademo stations. I will not use L2 charge stations when I am out and about unless I absolutely have to. With a 3.3 onboard charger the L2 stations are just too slow. I mean, I understand it for apartment dwellers or work destination but not for normal progress of trying to get from point A to B to C etc. We need many more Fast Chargers.

I like the idea of using the cellphone to activate charge!

GetOffYourGas said:
DuncanCunningham said:

You're right, it's not the only way! You can read more about how, when and where we expand, on our website: http://bit.ly/chargepointNews

TeamChargePoint said:
That's a great drive! Have you recently requested stations for any of the locations that you would find helpful along the route?
Here is our station request form http://bit.ly/stationrequest

If you'd like to share a few spots with our team using our form, we'll try to get in touch with the right people!
Thus far, it seems that ChargePoint's business model has primarily been to respond to specific requests for charging stations at businesses. There's nothing wrong with this, but if ChargePoint desires to play a key role in enabling long distance travel along major corridors, then a more top down approach should be followed. Such an approach would involve first identifying important, under-served corridors (such as LA to Vegas), then actively scouting out sites along those corridors that might be suitable for DCFC stations. Obviously, Tesla has already done extensive work of this nature, but solutions are needed for non-Tesla EVs.

As for I-15 from LA to Vegas, Tesla already has a great list of current and planned locations for Superchargers in basically all of the freeway-close towns frequented by ICE travelers:

1. Rancho Cucumonga, CA (active)
2. Hesperia, CA (planned)
3. Barstow, CA (active)
4. Yermo, CA (under construction)
5. Baker, CA (under construction)
6. Primm, NV (active)
7. Las Vegas, NV (two active sites)

Simply shadowing the Supercharger network would provide a lot of benefits. Another under-served corridor is US-395 from the LA area up to Mammoth Lakes, CA and Reno, NV. Again, look to the Supercharger locations as a rough template.

They make money selling the data they collect on charging use, their goal is not to fill gaps in infrastructure but to get data to sell to companies and other entities where it makes sense or supports the business model.

EVDRIVER said:
They make money selling the data they collect on charging use, their goal is not to fill gaps in infrastructure but to get data to sell to companies and other entities where it makes sense or supports the business model.

Hi! We work with businesses to install new stations every day.
Our goal at ChargePoint is to make EV charging work for businesses who have parking spots, and for EV drivers who need charging. Take a look at this video about why Adobe invested in ChargePoint chargers (http://bit.ly/2kU3isi)! I thought you might also enjoy a blog post about Oyster Development Corporation and why they put in ChargePoint chargers, too! (http://bit.ly/2zfiQcF)

Evoforce said:
Hi! My post above was not addressed. When is ChargePoint going to install more Quick Charge/Fast Charge Stations in Arizona?
Easy answer.

When they can do so at a profit.

SageBrush said:
Evoforce said:
Hi! My post above was not addressed. When is ChargePoint going to install more Quick Charge/Fast Charge Stations in Arizona?
Easy answer.

When they can do so at a profit.

Correct, it's about the data collection and sale to larger entities not filling charging gaps, that model can't be supported without property owners subsidies in some manner.

EVDRIVER said:
Correct, it's about the data collection and sale to larger entities not filling charging gaps, that model can't be supported without property owners subsidies in some manner.
Incorrect I suspect.

More about volume and ancillary profit streams.

SageBrush said:
EVDRIVER said:
Incorrect I suspect.

I would still like to hear their response.

Evoforce said:
SageBrush said:
EVDRIVER said:
Incorrect I suspect.

I would still like to hear their response.

Good luck, they are not going to reveal the breakdown of their revenue stream, If they we so concerned about providing coverage for EV drivers it's likely it would not have taken them almost 7 years to post here.

Chargepoint seems to be responding with BS warm fuzzy responses. I agree that they are looking for us to do their legwork. I have heard seen no chargepoint posts to sound like a thoughtful person. I see these people as testing the waters to see where they can start making money. remember, nothing for nothing............

There is little profit in selling hardware or power, the model is to collect and sell data as an ongoing fee to large entities that may need or have value there. On the other hand the more consumers CP has on their network the more data they have to market and sell.

powersurge said:
Chargepoint seems to be responding with BS warm fuzzy responses. I agree that they are looking for us to do their legwork. I have heard seen no chargepoint posts to sound like a thoughtful person. I see these people as testing the waters to see where they can start making money. remember, nothing for nothing............

I'm here to help answer questions about ChargePoint, and to join-in & contribute other topics, too! I also share the feedback we've been getting about what you'd like to see ChargePoint achieve in the future. Although there may not always be new info or recent news, I try to do my best to answer your questions with the information that we're able to share with the community publicly.

I'm thinking I must have missed something specific in one of my responses, but I'd love to help answer your Q's. Can you help me better understand how I can help you?

TeamChargePoint said:
EVDRIVER said:

Hi! We work with businesses to install new stations every day.
Our goal at ChargePoint is to make EV charging work for businesses who have parking spots, and for EV drivers who need charging. Take a look at this video about why Adobe invested in ChargePoint chargers (http://bit.ly/2kU3isi)! I thought you might also enjoy a blog post about Oyster Development Corporation and why they put in ChargePoint chargers, too! (http://bit.ly/2zfiQcF)

OK, here is the issue that limits you: you only install in collaboration with a host entity. You don’t seek out strategic locations and install independently. Especially with higher powered QC which is what we’ll need going forward. Soon, every OEM’s offering will be 60 kWh and up and there’ll be demand that will translate into revenue without your current host model. So, ChargePoint, why not branch out? You have the equipment and knowledge base to make it work. If Tesla can put up multiple units per site, you can cozy up right next to them, or across the road, whatever. As it is, you’re ceding the Non-Tesla QC market to EVgo. Do you really want to be that far behind?

Back