Automatic headlights - Stalk & sensor transplant into an S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk1971

Stalk pn: 25560-3KA8E combination switch

Optical sensor pn: 28576-1HH0A

I'm going to try installing the combination switch and sensor to see if I can get auto headlights in my '15 S.

I have an independent mechanic who says his Nissan Consult works on a 2014. Anyone know if that will work on a 2015? I think the BCM needs to be programmed to turn on the auto headlights.

Don't even know it the wiring for the sensor is there. If not I'll wire it up to the BCM.

Let's have some fun.

Here are my notes on how to make the connections.

Unfortunately, there are no wires on the M24 BCM harness for the Optical Sensor input (#14) and the Sensor Power Supply output (#17). There is however a wire for Sensor Ground (#18).

I wired everything up and cut the hole out for the Optical Sensor next to the AC sensor.

Here are some pictures:

Combo switch (stalk) - no need to remove the steering wheel. Just remove the top/bottom covers (2 screws) and there are 4 screws holding it together, 2 each on the left/right sides.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Here's the Leaf with the Glove box along with the inner glove box panels removed,

The BCM on the far upper left (mounted vertically).

Connector M24. The paperclip is on Optical Sensor Input # 14.

Cutting the trim that holds the Optical Sensor. There's a pattern of the sensor hole on the bottom of it, which make it easy to cut.

My notes on the connections:

auto lights 1 by tk_1971, on Flickr

Here's what needs to be done in Consult 3+ in order to turn on the Auto Headlight feature:

consult function BCM head lamp by tk_1971, on Flickr

I now need to find someone with a Consult 3+ to make this work.

So I contacted Jim (aka WattsLeft of LeafSpy) and asked if LeafSpy Pro is able to turn on the Auto Headlight function.

Turns out the newest version is capable of doing just that.

I have an older version on an Android phone that I bought just for LeafSpyPro when I wanted to change the settings on the door locks. I haven't looked at it since.

I'm going to check it out when I get home.

Here is an image I got off the web of the appropriate service screen:

leafspypro by tk_1971, on Flickr

Either this will work, or I did something wrong with the wiring. We'll see...

Got the Beta version of LeafSpy Pro and although I can change the settings, the auto light function still doesn't work.

I've done some more homework on the Auto Light feature. I even went so far as to track down the different versions of the BCM which I found out should not be program-specific but instead build-date specific (ie. 284B13NF0B for 10/2014-8/2015, and 284B13NF0A for 12/2012-10/2014).

After looking at the combo switch inputs/outputs thinking that maybe certain wires could be missing, I've concluded that it can't be because other common functions are associated with Output 4 / Input 3.

I found a manual setting for this feature in the BCS manual. Apparently, I need to manually set the "Auto Light" under the BCM configuration to a setting of "With".

The next step is that I need to get this setting manually set and try again.

autolight by tk_1971, on Flickr

Hi, have you made any progress on this? I'm curious if the stalk you are putting on has the "tap to lane change" feature?
I have a '13 SV and I have the auto headlights feature, but I'm wondering if I transplant a newer stalk, if the tap feature will work. Does anyone know if that's built into the stalk, or would it require programming?

thebard said:
Hi, have you made any progress on this? I'm curious if the stalk you are putting on has the "tap to lane change" feature?
I have a '13 SV and I have the auto headlights feature, but I'm wondering if I transplant a newer stalk, if the tap feature will work. Does anyone know if that's built into the stalk, or would it require programming?

Sorry, I don't even know what that feature is...

My stalk was from a 2012-2014 Nissan Pathfinder (Nissan Part #: 25560-3ka8e). The owner added factory foglights which required the stalk to be upgraded to one with the fog controls on it.

But I did get the Auto Headlights feature to work with the help of Jim the "LeafSpy" guy. He helped me "activate" the option in my car with a little program and the ODBII bluetooth connector that I use with LeafSpy Pro.

I'll post more pictures in a separate thread.

Here are some final pictures of the install. Please note that on the back of the sensor there is a "3" molded on it which I mistakenly took for a label to pin #3. This is incorrect, as that is actually pin #1, which connects to the +5V from the BCM. Pin #2 connects to the Optical Sensor input on the BCM and the real pin #3 connects to sensor Ground. I initially had #1 & 3 reversed, so the in Auto mode, the headlights were always on (no voltage going into the sensor, which would then get attenuated by the light sensor and routed to the sensor input). So, it acted like it was always dark. Here's a picture of the back of the sensor and the "3" which is really a "1":

For the connector to the sensor, I took a 4 pin JST style connector, removed one of the wires and took it to my bench grinder until it fits:

Description
Brand New
Male & Female 4Pin Connector With Wire for 5050/3528 RGB LED Strips
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282118967273?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=581080134377&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here it is all ground down and test fitted:

I zip tied the wire to the sensor so that the connector won't fall off since it doesn't have the proper mating locking stuff.

Making use of more connectors and used cloth tape to prevent stray noise:

I'd like to take some time to thank Jim from "LeafSpy Pro" who made this possible. Even with all the hardware installed, without activating the "AutoHeadlight" feature and having LeafSpy Pro set the options/settings for this function, the upgrade would not be possible.

Thanks Jim!!!

Thanks for the pictures, that's awesome!

The "tap" feature let's you depress the stalk momentarily (without activating the constant turm signal) and will blink the flasher 3 times & then automatically turn off (for a lane change). Looking at the Leaf manuals, it looks like they included it in the '14 & '15 model years and then stopped.

Maybe they test marketed here in California, & realized nobody actually signals for lane changes here...
:lol:

Wow great work!

After your mod, do you now have auto dimming of the cluster/touchscreen as well? I believe auto headlights also enables auto brightness of the dash as ambient lighting changes.

One of my peeves is having to manually adjust the instrument lights when driving at sunset or on a wet day with the headlights on. On the LEAF it means pressing the instrument lighting button many times to cycle through the levels.

gshepherd said:
Wow great work!

After your mod, do you now have auto dimming of the cluster/touchscreen as well? I believe auto headlights also enables auto brightness of the dash as ambient lighting changes.

One of my peeves is having to manually adjust the instrument lights when driving at sunset or on a wet day with the headlights on. On the LEAF it means pressing the instrument lighting button many times to cycle through the levels.y

I don't know. The wife drives the car mostly, so I'll ask her and report back.

Ok, she says the instrument lights dim like it normally does when the headlights are turned on. Whatever setting it's set to. Doesn't appear to have "active" / varying dimming like with some other cars.

I was working on this in parallel with you and have had my glove box removed for over 3 months while I struggle getting this working! I also tried the Leaf Spy option, but I still am unable to get auto to function. I did purchase a rogue stalk and bought a maxima sensor (which may be an issue for me, not sure yet) and everything seems to function normally except the auto-on functionality. Carefully reading your posts it seems to indicate there was something else in addition to the LeafSpy pro enablement that you needed to do. Can you share your detailed steps beyond the hardware and Leafspy pro steps?

Your comment - But I did get the Auto Headlights feature to work with the help of Jim the "LeafSpy" guy. He helped me "activate" the option in my car with a little program and the ODBII bluetooth connector that I use with LeafSpy Pro.

What is this little program?

tk1971 said:
gshepherd said:
Wow great work!

One of my peeves is having to manually adjust the instrument lights when driving at sunset or on a wet day with the headlights on. On the LEAF it means pressing the instrument lighting button many times to cycle through the levels.y

I don't know. The wife drives the car mostly, so I'll ask her and report back.

Ok, she says the instrument lights dim like it normally does when the headlights are turned on. Whatever setting it's set to. Doesn't appear to have "active" / varying dimming like with some other cars.

Thanks for updating... just saw your message. Looks like a tempting upgrade anyway... but then I'd start wanting auto wipers, too. ;-)

akkord64 said:
I was working on this in parallel with you and have had my glove box removed for over 3 months while I struggle getting this working! I also tried the Leaf Spy option, but I still am unable to get auto to function. I did purchase a rogue stalk and bought a maxima sensor (which may be an issue for me, not sure yet) and everything seems to function normally except the auto-on functionality. Carefully reading your posts it seems to indicate there was something else in addition to the LeafSpy pro enablement that you needed to do. Can you share your detailed steps beyond the hardware and Leafspy pro steps?

Your comment - But I did get the Auto Headlights feature to work with the help of Jim the "LeafSpy" guy. He helped me "activate" the option in my car with a little program and the ODBII bluetooth connector that I use with LeafSpy Pro.

If you have LeafSpy Pro already, go to the support links and contact the creator of the app. He said he would incorporate the final Auto switch function in the next rev of the program. He may work it out with you to beta test the program with this feature.

akkord64 said:

In one of the posts on page 1, I stated that I found another software switch. The description of this is under page BCS-59 of the service manual.

Jim, who wrote LeafSpy Pro helped me by having him test various subroutines in an attempt to activate auto lights.

So, even with all the hardware installed correctly, there are 2 different software settings to activate auto lights. Only one of them is covered in LeafSpy Pro beta with the screen that has all the settings (on/off with wipers, sensitivity settings, etc). That second software switch is not accessible yet in LeafSpy Pro. Jim did a one-off for me to get it working. You'll have to contact him.

Thanks for sharing these instructions tk1971. I was able to upgrade my 2017 Leaf SV to have auto lights based on these instructions. There were some differences in my case. Here are the steps, calling out any differences for my car.

Parts used:
28576-1HH0A: light sensor (no difference here)
25560-3KA1B: combination switch stalk used in the 2017 Leaf SL

1) Light sensor installation: Fortunately my 2017 Leaf SV already had the light sensor wiring in place. The wiring for the AC sensor had the wire harness for the light sensor tucked away in its cloth. So I just needed to cut out a similar space to mount the light sensor in the plastic piece holding the AC sensor then connect the light sensor to the existing wire harness.

2) Combination switch stalk installation: No difference here except I used the part 25560-3KA1B. It has both auto light selector and fog light selector.

3) Enable auto light feature: No difference but I also want thank turbo3 author of Leaf Spy for his personal help to enable the feature in the BCM.

Since the 25560-3KA1B stalk has the fog light selector I might add fog lights one day.

Re the "tap for lane change" feature: I have this on two of my cars and I HATE HATE HATE it! When I want to signal, I will engage the signal, either by holding it part-way manually, or by clicking it fully into position. And when I realize there's a car next to me AFTER I've started signalling, I don't want to look like an idiot by continuing to signal. But with this feature, I have no choice other than to wait for lots of blinks, or signal the other direction. Like an idiot.

Hate it.

Did I mention I hate it? Currently my Leaf is the only car I own which doesn't have this feature, and that makes me happy.

tk1971 said:
akkord64 said:

If you have LeafSpy Pro already, go to the support links and contact the creator of the app. He said he would incorporate the final Auto switch function in the next rev of the program. He may work it out with you to beta test the program with this feature.
Test version 0.40.105 now includes the ability to detect if Auto Headlights is not enabled and give you the option to enable. Of course you must have the necessary hardware installed for this to actually do anything. Don't know what happens if you enable but did not install the hardware. Maybe nothing or maybe you get a DTC.

gary65536 said:
Thanks for sharing these instructions tk1971. I was able to upgrade my 2017 Leaf SV to have auto lights based on these instructions. There were some differences in my case. Here are the steps, calling out any differences for my car.

Parts used:
28576-1HH0A: light sensor (no difference here)
25560-3KA1B: combination switch stalk used in the 2017 Leaf SL

1) Light sensor installation: Fortunately my 2017 Leaf SV already had the light sensor wiring in place. The wiring for the AC sensor had the wire harness for the light sensor tucked away in its cloth. So I just needed to cut out a similar space to mount the light sensor in the plastic piece holding the AC sensor then connect the light sensor to the existing wire harness.

2) Combination switch stalk installation: No difference here except I used the part 25560-3KA1B. It has both auto light selector and fog light selector.

3) Enable auto light feature: No difference but I also want thank turbo3 author of Leaf Spy for his personal help to enable the feature in the BCM.

Since the 25560-3KA1B stalk has the fog light selector I might add fog lights one day.

Thanks,
Just wanted to confirm another success on a 2017 Leaf. Easily installed the above parts and enabled auto headlights with LeafSpy Pro.

Another report of success.

I recently bought a '15 Leaf SV, which did not come with the auto-headlight option, which was a disappointment. However, after reading through this thread, I moved the combination switch and ambient light sensor from my '09 Cube (which had auto headlights and fog lamps), changed the appropriate settings in Leaf Spy, and the headlights now come on when the light dims. Very happy.

For those who come next... Having tried combination switches from 3 different vehicles, I'm fairly comfortable saying that if the style of stalk matches, the switch will fit and be recognized. I swapped the switches in both directions between the '09 Cube and the '15 Leaf. I also tried the switch from an older (07? 08?) Sentra or Altima that was at a local wrecker -- It fit and was recognized in the Leaf as well.

Which brings up my other discovery to report. While the fit of the switch, and it's pinout appear to be standard, the internals are not. The junkyard switch does function, but the vehicle it came off does not have a rear window wiper, so that function is of course missing on the stalk. When I disassembled the original Leaf switch and the junked switched, with hopes of swapping the wiper stalk, I found less standardization than I hoped for. The circuit boards were different, and the junk switch (which supported auto headlights) did not have unused contacts for the rear wiper. Disassembly and reassembly were straightforward, though.

The final word being that if you're looking for the right switch, don't worry too much about the specific part number. Just make sure it has the functions needed. From what I can tell, it will work. Extra functions that don't exist on the target Leaf will be ignored. Functions on the target Leaf that are unsupported by the combo switch will be unavailable. And building a frankenswitch won't work.

So for now I'm living without the rear wiper function, and will troll the local junkyards for the unicorn switch with auto lights, no fog lamps and a rear wiper. :)

grnbrg.

Just wanted to add another thank you to those who did all the original work tracking this down, including getting the necessary settings added to LeafSpy. Just did this on our 2015 Leaf SV - checked the wiring in the top of the dash next to the other sensor, and was also lucky that it had the headlight sensor connector folded back into some tape like another previous poster. Becomes a very simple procedure. Hardest part was locating the right parts for a reasonable price. The combination switch with auto headlights but without fog isn't very common.

Back