End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
color me shocked!

I had someone who needed advice cause they were looking at a used 2013 S with charge for $9800 and I thought that was too much and checked the local listing and used LEAF prices are skyrocketing here! They are at least $2,000 higher than last Spring. Of 58 options, not counting the $9995 cars, only 4 are below $10,000!

Before there were always at least a dozen in the $7,000 to 9000 range. I know one guy who bought a 2013 SL this Summer for $7,500. His car is now worth $11000!

This is CRAZY!!

Yep. I really like my car, but it’s going back. With state/fed/local power co incentives, I can get a new one for nearly the same cost.

I will take a hit on tax and tag, but why not.

AlanSqB said:
Yep. I really like my car, but it’s going back. With state/fed/local power co incentives, I can get a new one for nearly the same cost.

I will take a hit on tax and tag, but why not.

hit on the tag? They charge you EV tab fee on new car?

Oh yes. Here in the great state of CO, our tag fees are huge. My first two years were $733 each. That is tax/tag and $50 annual “EV fee”. All new cars under 3 years old pay really huge “own tax” each year.

On the flip side, they then give you a nice $5k refundable income tax credit. Our roads suck, so I have no idea where the money goes.

I was figuring a Model S would be around $1500/year to start.

AlanSqB said:
Oh yes. Here in the great state of CO, our tag fees are huge. My first two years were $733 each. That is tax/tag and $50 annual “EV fee”. All new cars under 3 years old pay really huge “own tax” each year.

On the flip side, they then give you a nice $5k refundable income tax credit. Our roads suck, so I have no idea where the money goes.

I was figuring a Model S would be around $1500/year to start.

My tab renewal was Nov 10th and it was $247 for the year which includes an annual $150 EV tab fee. $100 goes to road fund, $50 to EV public infrastructure expansion but the EV tab fee is not billed on purchase. So if I lease every two years, I pay an effective $75 a year!

My fees are actually considerably smaller than King County (Seattle) where they have light rail expansion bills to pay. There is one Telsa owner who paid over $1500 for his renewal!

Yes, I’ve been looking at moving out there and saw that being discussed on some of the boards. I guess it would sting less if I knew where it was going. I’ve frequently used Link and other public transportation options there so I can see the benefit. I even have my own ORCA card. However, I was surprised that those expensive fees apply through the life of the vehicle. That’s harsh. At least here, beginning on year 3, you start to get a break.

AlanSqB said:
Yes, I’ve been looking at moving out there and saw that being discussed on some of the boards. I guess it would sting less if I knew where it was going. I’ve frequently used Link and other public transportation options there so I can see the benefit. I even have my own ORCA card. However, I was surprised that those expensive fees apply through the life of the vehicle. That’s harsh. At least here, beginning on year 3, you start to get a break.

Well the growing trend is moving away from the city and commuting. Just saw news 2 days ago that We experienced 4% increase in commute time which was almost 3X more than the average increase in big City commutes. We are now #4 in the country but then again, the study did not cover my area. Yesterday, left downtown Seattle at 2:22 PM, drove 62.1 miles home and arrived in Oly at 4:31 PM with only a 10 min pitstop to take a pee in there. This is not unusual. Its actually quite normal. People wonder why I don't think range is as important as comfort? Wonder no more...

Just had my inspection done. Bill came to a total of $0 owed for wear and tear. Thought I was going to have to pay for new tires, but they only measured the tread in the middle, not the edges that wore down before I started putting more air in there mfg recommended.

Stupid Question Time: Do I have to pay my annual vehicle registration fee? Renewal is due on 12/22, lease ends on 01/05, and I'm fine with returning the car a few weeks early as the CA renewal fee is almost equal to a month lease payment.

I finally got in touch with a great salesperson who actually drives a Leaf himself. Am planning to complete my purchase on Monday. Will let the group know how it goes. Seems to me, the key is still finding a good salesperson.

DesertSprings said:
Just had my inspection done. Bill came to a total of $0 owed for wear and tear. Thought I was going to have to pay for new tires, but they only measured the tread in the middle, not the edges that wore down before I started putting more air in there mfg recommended.

Stupid Question Time: Do I have to pay my annual vehicle registration fee? Renewal is due on 12/22, lease ends on 01/05, and I'm fine with returning the car a few weeks early as the CA renewal fee is almost equal to a month lease payment.

I would return it early. Thats what I do

So just purchased my Leaf. Was a 2015 S w/QC. Did the extension after my lease was up in September. Paid one month post the 3 free months and had $10,900 for payoff. Contacted local dealer and got $2,000 off my residual for an $8,900 buyout price. Pretty quick and painless. Nice to see some rebate still.

mykalt45 said:
So just purchased my Leaf. Was a 2015 S w/QC. Did the extension after my lease was up in September. Paid one month post the 3 free months and had $10,900 for payoff. Contacted local dealer and got $2,000 off my residual for an $8,900 buyout price. Pretty quick and painless. Nice to see some rebate still.

That's a good price for the best pack Nissan has made to date.

mykalt45 said:

I have a 2015 S without QC. 40 months old. 35000 miles. I wonder if I can get a price around that 8000-9000 mark. I would do the buyout in a heartbeat. Can we deal with dealers out of state if we are based in Atlanta?

Jon Detter is the name of the sales guy I worked with. He's at AutoNation Nissan in Lewisville. He drive a Leaf himself. His contact number: 972-762-0861. Tell him Michael T sent you!

mantar said:
mykalt45 said:

I have a 2015 S without QC. 40 months old. 35000 miles. I wonder if I can get a price around that 8000-9000 mark. I would do the buyout in a heartbeat. Can we deal with dealers out of state if we are based in Atlanta?

Try Gwinnett Place Nissan in Duluth, GA and ask for the lease manager (forgot his name) not a sales person. I bought out my 36-month leased 2015 S (w/QC) for $7500 (Minimum Selling Price) + $689 (dealer fee) + TTL in August this year. YMMV

Adam

mykalt45 said:
Jon Detter is the name of the sales guy I worked with. He's at AutoNation Nissan in Lewisville. He drive a Leaf himself. His contact number: 972-762-0861. Tell him Michael T sent you!

I contacted him.....AN seems to have more fees than the other dealers I am speaking to....

I didnt realize that the dealers treat this like another sale and the terms are different between dealers

AdamFist said:
mantar said:
mykalt45 said:

Try Gwinnett Place Nissan in Duluth, GA and ask for the lease manager (forgot his name) not a sales person. I bought out my 36-month leased 2015 S (w/QC) for $7500 (Minimum Selling Price) + $689 (dealer fee) + TTL in August this year. YMMV

Adam

can you work with an out of state dealer??

Back