Post Your Battery Degradation Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonyt said:
cmwade77 said:
Ok, here is mine:
SOH 101.97%
Hx 100.05%
AHr 66.69
49,090 miles
2013 LEAF SL? (We bought the car used and it has some features that are only in the SL and up models and missing some that are normally in the SL model)
265 QCs
1155 L1/L2's

Admittedly, the battery was replaced about a week ago under the capacity warranty.

Was your early or late 2013 production? Sorry if you posted the info before.

We bought it used in March of this year for about $6,000, so I am not positive, but looking at the sticker on the door, it appears to have been made in February, so we were just in the nick of time for the warranty.

Is there a difference between early or late? I haven't seen anything about that.

cmwade77 said:
Tonyt said:
cmwade77 said:
Ok, here is mine:
SOH 101.97%
Hx 100.05%
AHr 66.69
49,090 miles
2013 LEAF SL? (We bought the car used and it has some features that are only in the SL and up models and missing some that are normally in the SL model)
265 QCs
1155 L1/L2's

Admittedly, the battery was replaced about a week ago under the capacity warranty.

Was your early or late 2013 production? Sorry if you posted the info before.

We bought it used in March of this year for about $6,000, so I am not positive, but looking at the sticker on the door, it appears to have been made in February, so we were just in the nick of time for the warranty.

Is there a difference between early or late? I haven't seen anything about that.

Posts I've seen show that post April build have a newer battery that should last longer. My friend has a April build one that seems to be degrading at a fast rate. We were hoping the last bar will drop before the warranty expires. However it currently looks like it will miss and drop after 5 years. Congrats on your purchase and replacement! Steal for 6k!

I'm very curious what folks think of this.

I have only lost 2 bars. However, my amp-hours are down to 43.57Ah, SOH 70% and Hx 45.59%. Plus the maximum I can get into the battery is 15.9kWh.

Shouldn't I have lost the third bar long ago? I think some folks have lost their 4th bar at this point. I'm thinking Nissan has done something with my BMS. that or LeafSpy Pro is reporting wrong.

Any thoughts?

BTW, i have 45,023 miles on it and it is a 2015 SL.

Relayer1956 said:

I have only lost 2 bars. However, my amp-hours are down to 43.57Ah, SOH 70% and Hx 45.59%. Plus the maximum I can get into the battery is 15.9kWh.

Shouldn't I have lost the third bar long ago? I think some folks have lost their 4th bar at this point. I'm thinking Nissan has done something with my BMS. that or LeafSpy Pro is reporting wrong.

Any thoughts?

It would appear you should be about to lose your 4th, not 3rd. But have seen some weird batteries before. Like losing 2 with a few hundred miles. I would not be surprised to see you lose TWO at once! Now, hasn't happened that I am aware of but have gotten into the habit of not eliminating any possibility

Relayer1956 said:

Any thoughts?

Is this a new vehicle you recently purchased?

It has been known that either intentionally or unintentionally (I think a prolonged dead 12V battery will cause this) the "bars" get reset and the car relatively quickly (but not immediately) figures out how many bars it should be at, so you will lose a bunch in fairly rapid succession. I think this is the phenomenon that DaveinOlyWA might be referring to.

Relayer1956 said:
Plus the maximum I can get into the battery is 15.9kWh.
Do you mean 15.9 kWh from the wall, or do you have some way to measure actual energy into the battery ?
2, Are you measuring from a completely empty battery ? Meaning from Turtle mode ?

SageBrush said:
Relayer1956 said:
Plus the maximum I can get into the battery is 15.9kWh.
Do you mean 15.9 kWh from the wall, or do you have some way to measure actual energy into the battery ?
2, Are you measuring from a completely empty battery ? Meaning from Turtle mode ?

I think he means that is what LS says is available for use

Relayer1956 said:

Any thoughts?

you may have a bad cell. How much is the cell variance in mV on the Battery Cells page in LeafSpy?

Need help, I'm at 49.44 ahr in a 14 leaf with 48455 miles and two bars gone. I'm going to hit 60k before 5 year warranty is up. What are my chances I'll get a replacement under warranty? I live in Austin, so it's hot most of the year.

Hmmm...very disappointed with my 2016 LEAF battery. Lost my first bar about a month ago with only 13027 miles!!!!

Here are my LEAFSpy stats from that day:

AHr: 64.037
SOH: 80%
Hx: 76.8
L1/L2: 300
QC: 61

The car was a dealer demo vehicle, so I bought it 12/23/16 with 1915 miles on it, and 39 QC's on it (lazy bums must've only ever plugged it into the QC), but it had 100% SOH and 96.31 Hx when I bought it, so it looked pretty solid at the time.

Here's a plot of my SOH and AHr over time. Sorry, but I'm missing about 2 months of data during a time when quite a bit of capacity was lost, but I think the slope of those stats was reasonably constant over that time.

PfHlng6.png

I exceeded the 60K mark by 1490 miles in my 2012 LEAF :evil: The way this one is going, I'll probably hit it by 40K.

2013 SV, kept in Wisconsin
42,143 mi, 15 QC's, 2139 L1/L2's
AHr = 58.60 SOH = 89.60% Hx = 86.88%

Going to try a few QC's over the next few weeks and see if it brings it up a bit. Overall i'm still really impressed at a 5 year old Leaf with 42k+ miles. I thought for sure I would have lost a few bars by now!

Beardedjeff said:

Going to try a few QC's over the next few weeks and see if it brings it up a bit. Overall i'm still really impressed at a 5 year old Leaf with 42k+ miles. I thought for sure I would have lost a few bars by now!

I had a 2013 with higher stats but add in the extra 1½ years of time and you are just about where I was. I bounced between 91-93% at 44,840 miles but switched to 30 kwh LEAF in Nov 2016

Beardedjeff said:

Nice! My 2016 SV (30kWh battery), with 14,558 miles, only has 3.86 AHr more than yours (6.6% more, even though the battery is theoretically 25% bigger and I've only got about 1/4 the miles and time you have!

Bonjour,

Je confirme cet article de https://insideevs.com/nissan-issues-statement-on-leaf-30-kwh-battery-degradation/
Nissan Issues Statement On LEAF 30-kWh Battery Degradation

1 D BY ERIC LOVEDAY 107
It’s not quite as detailed as we hoped for, but at least Nissan is fully aware of the concern and is investigating the potential issue.

Earlier this week, we presented the highly detailed findings of an in-depth Nissan LEAF battery degradation study.
Battery Issues – Nissan LEAF 30-kWh Battery Degrades More Rapidly Than 24-kWh Pack

The takeaway from the published results were:

“At two years of age, the mean rate of decline of SoH of 30 kWh Leafs was 9.9% per annum (95% uncertainty interval of 8.7% to 11.1%; n = 82). This was around three times the rate of decline of 24 kWh Leafs which at two years averaged 3.1% per annum (95% uncertainty interval of 2.9% to 3.3%; n = 201).”

Or, in very simplified terms, the 30-kWh LEAF seemed to have much higher battery degradation rates than the 24-kWh LEAFs.

The study concluded by suggesting that the rate of decline in the 24-kWh version of the LEAF is acceptable, but suggests that the 30-kWh pack declines too rapidly to be considered within normal parameters.
Replacement Batteries – Nissan Introduces $2,850 Refabricated Batteries For LEAF

Following the release of the results of this study and our coverage of the potential issue, Green Car Reports reached out to Nissan for comment. EV communication manager, Jeff Wandell, offered this response:

“Nissan is aware that a limited number of customers have expressed concerns with the previous generation of the Nissan LEAF 30-kWh battery.”

“LEAF owners are some of our most devoted customers.”

“We take their concerns seriously, and have technical experts currently investigating the issues raised.”

We’re glad to know that Nissan is looking into this potential issue. We’ll report back if Nissan presents any additional information.

The abstract from the work titled “Accelerated Reported Battery Capacity Loss in 30 kWh Variants of the Nissan Leaf” contains more details on the issue. It states:

Analysis of 1382 measures of battery State of Health (SoH) from 283 Nissan Leafs (“Leaf/s”), manufactured between 2011 and 2017, has detected a faster rate of decline in this measure of energy-holding capacity for 30 kWh variants.

At two years of age, the mean rate of decline of SoH of 30 kWh Leafs was 9.9% per annum (95% uncertainty interval of 8.7% to 11.1%; n = 82). This was around three times the rate of decline of 24 kWh Leafs which at two years averaged 3.1% per annum (95% uncertainty interval of 2.9% to 3.3%; n = 201).

For both variants there was evidence for an increasing rate of decline as they aged, although this was much more pronounced in the 30 kWh Leafs. Higher use of rapid DC charging was associated with a small decrease in SoH. Additionally, while 24 kWh cars with greater distances travelled showed a higher SoH, in 30 kWh cars there was a reduction in SoH observed in cars that had travelled further.

The 30 kWh Leafs sourced from United Kingdom showed slower initial decline than those from Japan, but the rate of decline was similar at two years of age.

Improvements in the battery health diagnostics, continuous monitoring of battery temperatures and state of charge, and verification of a fundamental model of battery health are needed before causes and remedies for the observed decline can be pinpointed.

If the high rate of decline in battery capacity that we observed in the first 2.3 years of a 30 kWh Leaf’s lifetime were to continue, the financial and environmental benefits of this model may be significantly eroded. Despite 30 kWh Leafs accounting for only 14% of all light battery electric vehicles registered for use on New Zealand roads at the end of February 2018, there is also the potential for the relatively poor performance of this specific model to undermine electric vehicle uptake more generally unless remedies can be found.

Myall, D.; Ivanov, D.; Larason, W.; Nixon, M.; Moller, H. Accelerated Reported Battery Capacity Loss in 30 kWh Variants of the Nissan Leaf. Preprints 2018, 2018030122 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201803.0122.v1)

Myall, D.; Ivanov, D.; Larason, W.; Nixon, M.; Moller, H. Accelerated Reported Battery Capacity Loss in 30 kWh Variants of the Nissan Leaf. Preprints 2018, 2018030122 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201803.0122.v1)

Source: Preprints

Nissan statement via Green Car Reports

Category: Nissan

Tags: featured, leaf battery, leaf battery degradation, Nissan LEAF, Nissan LEAF 30 kWh

Par mon expérience personnelle : je viens de perdre une barre d'autonomie sur ma Leaf 30Kwh a 18000Kms ; a 6000Kms j'avais encore 230 Kms d'autonomie alors que maintenant je n'ai plus que 170Kms.(documents joints basés sur Leaf Spy Pro).

Je tiens a votre disposition mes relevés Leaf Spy Pro.

Bien cordialement.

MEMO0002rd.jpg

P1160423rd.jpg

I am now down to 8 battery bars as of this morning:
2012 SL
65.64% SOH
40.06 ah
43.49% HX
45,670 miles
2635 L1/L2
0 L3

I'm expecting to be told to pound sand, but I will call the Nissan Leaf customer line today to see if they will offer any 3/4 or 1/2 off replacement battery cost, as I am 6.5 months past battery warranty expiration.
Charging behavior: I have a charge timer set to charge to 100% and have it complete roughly 30 minutes before my morning commute.

Lost third battery bar 6/4/2018:
2012 SL, put into service 11/8/2011
61000 miles (hit that number exactly when I got home 6/3, bar was gone the next morning)
47.55 AH
70.48% SOH
50.66% HX
7 L3 charges
(didn't note the number of L2 charges)

a "full" charge seems to be about 14.6 kW at this time

located in central (RDU area) North Carolina - we do not have copious numbers of public EVSEs around, but fortunately my employer put in several around our campus.

I still enjoy my Leaf. I liked it a bit better when I had 12 bars, though!

12/2013 Leaf 24kW (I think is left about 15kW usable)
321 500kms (199 770mi)
9 bars ( 2 weeks ago was 10 bars)
100% to 20% in town about 85kms
QC is limited (not temp related) after 50% and up, 5% to 50% is ok speed, after that is tooo slow, imo.
We have 85A/400V QC and 120A/400V in Estonia.

bought this leaf 3 weeks ago (cheap ex taxi, black), drives and looks normal-great.
not have yet leafspy

Lost 4th battery bar 16 days before the 5-year anniversary, and just confirmed at dealership that they will replace the battery under warranty. :D

2013 Leaf SL (first sold June 2013; we purchased used in August 2016)
33,289 miles
AHr = 43.06 [LeafSpy data after 4th bar loss]
SOH = 65.84%
Hx = 57.76%

1st bar was lost before we purchased in August 2016
2nd bar lost in early 2017
3rd bar lost in fall 2017
4th bar lost June 2018

Back