Portable Charge Cable for 2018 LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Hi,

I am reserving a 2018 Leaf but I am confused about the options. I googled this forum to try to find info but only found a very technical discussion about the amp draw of the cable itself. Thanks in advance for answering my question;

The 2018 Leaf S is $29,990
Charge package is $1,590 and includes a Quick charge port and a Portable charge cable (120/240V).
Total = $31,580
The S is not available in red.

The 2018 Leaf SV is $32,400
It includes a Quick charge port.
However, the Portable charge cable on the SV is only available with the Technology package, which is $2,200 extra.
Red color = $395
Total = $34,995.
I really like the red SV, but I don't want to pay $3,415 more for the color red. However, if I can skip the $2,200 Technology package and just buy an extension cord at my local hardware store to use as my Portable charge cable, then paying $32,795 for a red SV is acceptable.

Can I just buy an extension cord at my local hardware store (lowes) and use that as my Portable charge cable?

Does all trim levels of the car come with one Portable charge cable? The Portable charge cable option is just an extra cable? I mean, it wouldn't make sense to sell a rechargeable car with no charge cable. Maybe the Portable charge cable option is not necessary? I mean, you could just bring the one charge cable that is included with the car everywhere with you so you don't really need an extra Portable charge cable?

Many thanks and happy holidays!

If you travel a lot the L3 option is worth it. It will bring the battery up to 80% in a half hour or so. The car also comes with a socket for L1 or L2. L1 is 12A at 120VAC, L2 is up to 30A at 240VAC. If you have the time for overnight than L2 works fine.

Where the fast charging works is if you are waiting for the battery to charge. Then anything that reduces the time is preferred.

My B250E only comes with L1, L2 and it is fine for me. Quick Charge Power makes a 3K L3 adapter for the car but I see no need for it.

Please stop starting multiple new topics. Use ONE topic for questions about the 2018 Leaf. All Level 1 (120 volt) charging cables will work with all EVs, so you don't need to spend the extra money for the Tech Package to get one. You can buy a used one for for $100-$400. You can buy a new one for as little as $300.

lilly said:
Can I just buy an extension cord at my local hardware store (lowes) and use that as my Portable charge cable?

No, the EV "cable" known as an EVSE, is more than an extension cord. It contains circuitry to ensure the vehicle charges at the correct rate, doesn't arc or electrocute you, alerts you to any faults, etc.

You don't have to buy from Nissan. They all use the same standard. Just shop for EVSE.

lilly: As stated before, all EVs require an EVSE of some kind to charge. Pre-2018 Nissan Leafs all came with an L1 (i.e. 120v) EVSE that was intended to be carried with the car for mainly emergency use (when no other EVSE is available). It was expected that most people would install at their residence an L2 (i.e. 240v) EVSE, although some people have been able to make do with only an L1 (and did so because they found an L2 install either unnecessary or, usually, too expensive for them). An L2 EVSE at a residence is usually mounted in a garage or on an outside wall near where the Leaf can be parked. It can be very expensive if your electrical service needs to be upgraded (from 60a or 100a to 200a, say), and/or your breaker panel needs to be upgraded, and/or running a new power cable to the EVSE is complicated. Note that the NEC electrical standards mandates a maximum cord length for an EVSE of 25 feet. Also note that to use any extension cord to an EVSE (other than on emergencies) is considered very unsafe.

Nissan apparently decided to make the new portable EVSE they provide starting in 2018 capable of L1 or L2 use and therefore much more useful and versatile, but therefore more costly -- so they decided to make it somewhat more optional to buy. Note some people have never felt the need to carry an emergency EVSE in their Leaf because of sufficient public charger infrastructure.

At least if you know you are getting this new EVSE with the Leaf, it makes it easier to just focus on what it takes to install this EVSE at your residence.

Nubo said:
lilly said:

No, the EV "cable" known as an EVSE, is more than an extension cord. It contains circuitry to ensure the vehicle charges at the correct rate, doesn't arc or electrocute you, alerts you to any faults, etc.

You don't have to buy from Nissan. They all use the same standard. Just shop for EVSE.
Correct.

For more info, the OP can look at these:
http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingprimer.pdf
https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000052074-basics-of-sae-j1772 which at the bottom has a pointer to
https://openev.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6004101697

Rxleaf said:
You mean something like this?

https://www.evsolutions.com/turbocord

If you want L-2 charging capability like the 2018 Nissan EVSE, then yes. She could also look for a used EVSE Upgrade unit with the necessary adapter(s).

Since the 2013 Leaf, the portable EVSE that Nissan provides with it apparently has the welcome safety feature of a high temperature monitor in the input plug that causes charging to be halted if it detects excessive heat that could be caused, for example, by an overly loose connection and/or nearby circuit arcing. This seems especially valuable for outlets that are frequently plugged into and therefore may be subject to wear and/or damage.

Is anyone aware of other plug-in EVSEs that have this desirable safety feature?

I have been trying to get ACCURATE info on the supplied Level 1/2 cable that is standard issue on 2018 Leaf’s as will be sold in Canada. I understand it is optional in the USA.

I had to go through multiple layers and transfers in Nissan’s Help system. It is very frustrating when you know more about their product than the Sales people or the help lines. Sorry for the rant.

Here is what I found out so far. The plug as supplied by Nissan is. 14-50P. When I asked for the charging rate I was told 40 amps. I believe however this is actually the breaker rating not the EVSE output. This is great news for me as it saves about $1000 Cnd on the purchase of an EVSE for my garage. Still have to install the 14-50R on the wall, but was going to that anyway.

I wish there was more info on this, like how it works with the onboard charging timers, if there are any Smarts that work with the car or Nissan Connect etc.

I only have about 6 weeks till my car arrives, hopefully more will be known about this by then. Reporters need to talk about these features of the car rather than moan and moan about not beating the Bolts range.
More ranting, sorry again.

Bob

rparry51 said:
I have been trying to get ACCURATE info on the supplied Level 1/2 cable that is standard issue on 2018 Leaf’s as will be sold in Canada. I understand it is optional in the USA.

I had to go through multiple layers and transfers in Nissan’s Help system. It is very frustrating when you know more about their product than the Sales people or the help lines. Sorry for the rant.

Here is what I found out so far. The plug as supplied by Nissan is. 14-50P. When I asked for the charging rate I was told 40 amps. I believe however this is actually the breaker rating not the EVSE output. This is great news for me as it saves about $1000 Cnd on the purchase of an EVSE for my garage. Still have to install the 14-50R on the wall, but was going to that anyway.

I wish there was more info on this, like how it works with the onboard charging timers, if there are any Smarts that work with the car or Nissan Connect etc.

I only have about 6 weeks till my car arrives, hopefully more will be known about this by then. Reporters need to talk about these features of the car rather than moan and moan about not beating the Bolts range.
More ranting, sorry again.

Bob

There is no difference in the way it works other than the amp rating and the adapter, it's the same as all the other cables.

EVDRIVER: I don't understand your last response, could you please elaborate somewhat more, please?

The cable has no impact on times and no special intelligence. It is the same design with a new adapter and heavier wire for a higher map rating, that's it.

EVDRIVER:
1) Where are you getting your info about the 2018 portable EVSE and how complete/accurate is it?
2) When you write "it's the same as all the other cables", do you mean just all the other previous Nissan Leaf portable EVSEs?

I agree with rparry51 that there needs to be much more detailed info about this EVSE to help new Leaf buyers decide whether it is sufficient for every day use or not. Many existing Leaf owners may also want to consider buying this EVSE, so its approximate cost would be of interest as well.

rparry51: The NEC allows a 14-50 receptacle to be wired (most commonly) with 6-3 NM cable w/ 50a double breaker for up to 40a continuous load/50a non-continuous load or with 8-3 NM cable w/40a double breaker for up to 32a continuous load/40a non-continuous load (assuming no special conditions requiring thicker wire).

Because the only (near?) certainty when looking at a 14-50 receptacle is that it is good only for the above latter load is why I think that ANY Nissan portable EVSE with a 14-50 plug will allow only a maximum changing rate of 32a. (If the EVSE has been modified, you may no longer have that assurance).

So I agree with your assessment that "40a" only referred to the circuit capacity/breaker rating. Although a recent (non-Nissan) report suggests the 2019 Leaf may have options for its on-board charger to charge up to 11 kW (and maybe even 22 kW), the Nissan advertising for the 2018 Leaf of 22 miles additional range per hour of charging suggests the on-board charging rate has not changed from the 2017 Leaf.

lilly said:
Does all trim levels of the car come with one Portable charge cable? The Portable charge cable option is just an extra cable? I mean, it wouldn't make sense to sell a rechargeable car with no charge cable. Maybe the Portable charge cable option is not necessary? I mean, you could just bring the one charge cable that is included with the car everywhere with you so you don't really need an extra Portable charge cable?
Since it doesn't look like anybody's directly answered the question yet:

All trims include a standard 120V charge cable that will allow charging from a normal outlet.

Included with the SL trim and with various options in other trims is a 120V/240V charge cable that can charge from both normal outlets and 240V outlets (like dryer outlets) as long as you have the right plug adapter.

Details on what adapters are included, what adjustability is available, and the operating amperage(s) are not forthcoming from the Nissan site.

fooljoe said:
lilly said:
Since it doesn't look like anybody's directly answered the question yet:

All trims include a standard 120V charge cable that will allow charging from a normal outlet.

Included with the SL trim and with various options in other trims is a 120V/240V charge cable that can charge from both normal outlets and 240V outlets (like dryer outlets) as long as you have the right plug adapter.

Details on what adapters are included, what adjustability is available, and the operating amperage(s) are not forthcoming from the Nissan site.

Do you have a link that references different adapters other than a 14-50 and 120V? I have not seen any other reference to other adapters for dryers, etc.

Let me start off by saying, everyone gave good technical advice. I think fooljoe has the right approach. Sometimes people can become overwhelmed by technical knowledge and jargon. An early adopter/enthusiast usually will dig in to absorb as much as they can about EV's.

We are starting to enter a time where these cars are starting to appeal to mainstream buyers. These buyers are less likely to care or think about the tech. They are mostly interested in just using the car.

Sure they have to learn the basics of how to fuel and where to find charge stations, but mostly want it to look good while being cheaply and easily transported where they want to go.

We don't want to overwhelm these buyers/potential buyers. We may have to be a little easier on them and simplify as much as possible. They are not going to care why it works, just that it does work and fits their needs.

To round out my thoughts, I'm just glad that they are not dumping gas down a hole!

webeleafowners said:
Does the new Leaf still charge at only 6.6Kw.

Have there been any rumours on what rate the charger in the 2019 will charge at.

Obviously referring to on board charger for both questions above.

I didn’t see this answered so just to be clear, yes, charge rate is 6.6Kw with 240 volt supply. I’m using the 8/3 wire and 40 amp breaker. 6-7 hours to full charge from empty from what I’ve read- have not done that yet though.

Back