Duplicate cities in GPS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prberg

Has anyone else seen this problem? When I go to use the GPS and try to enter an address, I start to enter the city name and a few times it lists the same city twice in the list. It's annoying since sometimes I choose the 'wrong' city and the street will not be listed. If I select the other city then the street with show up. Some bad map data? Will Nissan give us updates to fix these type of bugs?

thanks,
Peter

They might be real sections of a city, not duplicate data.

Perhaps they have different zip codes.

Near here, San Clemente seems to be "split" in some way, at least on the "incomplete" Prius-Nav data.

Who supplies the LEAF maps?

Do they have "complete" USA coverage, with both the "48" and two "others"?

Is Canada included?

How many POIs?

I have this issue on a JVC unit. It appears there are some duplicate entries there too. It's not clear to me how to tell the difference as to which I should choose, "Sacramento" or "Sacramento, Sacramento" (although due to character limits the second one was not showing completely). The item behind the comma is the county. But for some odd reason the street I entered in the (wrong) choice was taking me god-knows-where ... I eventually aborted the guidance, chose the other one, and finally got to my destination after a major detour.

Its a bug, but probably no one would ever tell a dealer. And if a dealer was told, no one would tell the original map maker. But if they did, the next scheduled update for the in dash unit may never show up. That is my Toyota experience and why I find a new garmin portable every few years is better for me. In the old days, it was why I used to buy a new thomas road guide every few years and recycle the other. My hope is that Nissan, with an over the air update function, could avoid that issue. We would still need some easy way to give them feedback when an error is found in the mapping software. Something very very easy, like an in-car, report the error - function, maybe via a cellphone connection to a voicemail.

garygid said:
Who supplies the LEAF maps?

Navteq supplies the map data for Nissan and most other car makes. You can also report errors on thier website.

http://www.navteq.com/

Most all the new nissan models use a SD card for map data. That is what I understood the leaf was going to use. You purchase updates thru Navteq as well. The new maps come out around oct. or nov. each year.

The Nav data is indeed on the SD card in the right SD slot in the nav system. You get to it by tilting back the display and removing the little cover.

There is a second SD port for you to save address books to so you can transfer them between cars. This is in a proprietary format that I have not found any documentation on and is not easily edited. Though I am working on it.

i think its related to how the data is gathered. i think a lot of it it supplied by multiple sources causing duplications based on different spellings, punctuation, etc.

my Prius does the same thing. it also does it on streets where it will list

4th ST
4 St
4 St SE

when they are all one in the same. it does not seem to matter which you pick.

another example; my parents lived on Alder St SE in Lacey, their house # is 1608. they live between 14th street and 15th Street....figure that one out. yep, there are 4 houses; 1602, 1604, 1606 and 1608 that were put on the new numbering system while existing houses were allowed to keep their old number. the house next door to my parents is #1470.

so u c; making a map might not be as simple as you think

Some cities have two (or more) zip codes, and some Mapping Data can be organized by zip codes, making it look, to some "map-searching" software, like there are two "different" cities.

I think San Clemente, CA (92672, 73, 74) is one (small) example of such a city that can show up on my 2010 Prius Nav as several "cities" (if the street that I am looking for exists in more than one zip code with the same city name).

Most likely this will not be considered a "bug", but a "normal feature" of the Nav software that they have chosen to use.

But, it does not hurt to report the things you do not like.

Most annoying about the Prius Nav database is that not all areas are "fully covered". Apparently their adopted Nav system (gets data from a dual-layer DVD) ran out of room (about 7.5 GB) and they had to strip out data in some less-populated areas. Other GPS systems compress/organize/store data much more compactly, and appear to cover all of the USA and Canada in less than 2 GB of flash memory (SD card).

Does the LEAF Nav have "full" coverage, or just partial?

We took delivery of our LEAF yesterday at North Bay Nissan in Petaluma and I tried to set the GPS route guidance to take me home here in W. Sacramento.

YIKES ! Nothing in our neighborhood exists on the mapping software. That means the software is AT LEAST FOUR YEARS out of date for our area of the Sacramento metropolitan region. I would note that our Volt has the area fully mapped. So Nissan's GPS supplier has not updated at least this area since 2007; I wonder what other detail updates are MISSING in the GPS software?

DaveinOlyWA said:
another example; my parents lived on Alder St SE in Lacey, their house # is 1608. they live between 14th street and 15th Street....figure that one out. yep, there are 4 houses; 1602, 1604, 1606 and 1608 that were put on the new numbering system while existing houses were allowed to keep their old number. the house next door to my parents is #1470.

so u c; making a map might not be as simple as you think

Want to be really confused? In Florence, Italy houses are given black numbers and businesses are given red numbers, resulting in two series per street.
In Japan and South Korea, a city is divided into small numbered zones. The houses within each zone are then labelled in the order in which they were constructed. Not real helpful unless you belong to the historical society.

I believe the maps are not OLD, but have been "pruned".

I suggest complaining to your Dealer, and to Nissan Customer Support (877-664-2738).

At least the Prius-Nav, also with "pruned" (not full coverage) maps, will display the (lack of) "coverage" on Region maps.

GeorgeParrott said:
YIKES ! Nothing in our neighborhood exists on the mapping software. That means the software is AT LEAST FOUR YEARS out of date for our area of the Sacramento metropolitan region.
I'll know when I get the car. Our area developed about 5 years back. Until a couple of years back no mapping system recognized our home address - including Google/Bing. Even now a lot of people coming to our house get lost because the GPS guides them to the wrong address.

Incidentally the city inspector who had to come today to inspect apparently couldn't find the house and won't come today. He called the electric contractor to inform him ... sigh.

I'd almost swear that the Nissan rep at San Diego Street Smart said that you'd be able to plan a route on your computer using Google Maps and then push the map to the car GPS. This led me to expect the car's map system would use Google Maps and would be automatically updated from time to time.

I wonder if that was the plan, and changed some time after Nissan gave the center console to Microsoft. That might also explain the continuing lack of an Android app. http://www.taintedgreen.com/green-c...platform-forms-schism-with-google/000812/rr-8
Already, Google has partnered with Chevy and developed an app for the Android platform to link to the Volt's computer system to get a read on battery power and to schedule charging for off peak hours.
http://gigaom.com/cleantech/why-nissan-tapped-microsoft-for-the-electric-leaf/
General Motors has moved to work with Google Android phones for a next-gen mobile app for the Chevy Volt, offering location-based services in addition to scheduling battery charge times (see video here). And both Ford and GM announced plans this summer to let drivers send Google Maps directions straight to vehicles equipped with Ford’s Sync and GM’s OnStar communication systems

walterbays said:
I'd almost swear that the Nissan rep at San Diego Street Smart said that you'd be able to plan a route on your computer using Google Maps and then push the map to the car GPS. This led me to expect the car's map system would use Google Maps and would be automatically updated from time to time.
Garmin lets you push the addresses - not sure of the routes.

Maps themselfs come from Navteq as has been said here repeatedly. Just like Garmin (and almost all other automajors).

ps : All gps/nav systems ask for big bucks to update the maps.

evnow said:
ps : All gps/nav systems ask for big bucks to update the maps.
True, Toyota wants more money to update my map than a new portable GPS device costs. But there has been severe downward pressure on map pricing in the last couple of years. Garmin (and I think some others) offer free map updates when you buy their handheld GPS. https://my.garmin.com/maps/nuMaps.htm Apple started offering a cheap monthly subscription to maps on iPhone, and you didn't even have to buy a separate GPS. Then Google started offering free up-to-date maps with turn by turn voice directions for Android. It's hard to talk myself into paying a monthly subscription fee for what is otherwise free.

I have started just ignoring whatever navigation system comes in my car. Every time I have tried to upgrade something involving a pre-installed navigation system in my car, they ended up asking for hundreds of dollars (both my Prius and my Porsche have sub-par systems in them). I now use Google Maps on my Android phone for navigation. The only downside I can see is that it uses the small screen of the phone. It speaks the directions, and it automatically uses whatever the latest version is for maps and businesses. I also use it for walking directions in cities. No navigation system is perfect, but the price is right for this one.

Incidentally, Larry Page (CEO and founder of Google) has both a Chevy Volt and a Tesla.

Back