End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have already lost 3 bars at around 11,000 miles and have until 10/19 for my lease to end. I am seriously thinking about buying a used Tesla S to end my range anxiety/limitations. A Bolt lease also is in the thinking. Thoughts?

That amount of capacity loss is not even close to normal. You need to bring it in to the dealer for them to test. There is something very wrong with your car.

oleviking said:
I have already lost 3 bars at around 11,000 miles and have until 10/19 for my lease to end. I am seriously thinking about buying a used Tesla S to end my range anxiety/limitations. A Bolt lease also is in the thinking. Thoughts?

What area are you in? Depending on region, that loss may be normal. See this thread for others: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23606

Are you trying to hold yourself over until a model 3? Or would it be a permanent replacement? If it's temporary and if you can make the range work, a used 2014/2015 leaf would probably be a more cost effective holdover.

I am in Orlando, Fl - the car was made in November of 2015 and I leased it in October 2016. I suspect that the year it spent on the lot, it may have been fully charged most of the time. In fact another LEAF driver purchased one from the same dealership and is having the same battery issues as I am. I have had one battery test, all good (this is after loosing two bars in 12 days at around 7,000 miles), will have another one in a couple of weeks.

My 2015 S which I got the 10000 buyout offer from Town Center Nissan has lost one bar a few weeks ago. It is 3 and half years old with 36,000 miles. But the range seems to have nosedived in the 20-30 degree weather we have been experiencing recently in Atlanta. In past winters, I was getting 60 miles with the heater on and some highway driving. This last week, it's been nearly 35 miles!!! yes, I do have the main heater on all the time at 74 degrees and the seat heater occasionally.

I gotta say, I always charge overnight because I have a cheap overnight power rate. So many times it is close to 100% fully charged. I had no idea that was supposed to be bad for capacity long term. Probably going to turn in the lease in April when it is done unless they offer a much much better buyout offer which is at least 3500 less than their 10000 offer.

It seems that even when you realize that the first (last?) bar is worth 15% capacity, the range plummets as you approach losing it. I don't know if it's a psychological thing, or if there is another yet-unidentified Nissan Gremlin in the BMS...

I'd hoped to buy out my 2015 SL lease, but 2 dealerships here tell me there is no discount. Will check one more but won't pay the full residual, since that would basically be the full MSRP. At almost 42K miles, still showing SOH of 98%, so wish I had bought this one. I charge to 100% majority of the time, so PA must be a good for EVs and the lizard battery. Test drove the BoltEV last week. Nice car. Want to check out the 2018, but have to admit that the 30kWh battery loss of capacity has me concerned.

RobertM said:
I'd hoped to buy out my 2015 SL lease, but 2 dealerships here tell me there is no discount. Will check one more but won't pay the full residual, since that would basically be the full MSRP. ...
I'd love to know the thought process behind Nissan's 'no discount' policy. Do they really want a glut of used Leafs flooding their 2018 sales market? The leaked data of the 2019 model specs will already make potential buyers hesitate and giving these people a cheap 'wait and see' option seems counter-intuitive.

The combination of no discounts, degrading battery capacity of my 2016 SV and the 2019 model (with TMS?) has already worked its magic on me - I'm solidly in the 'wait and see' camp and have extended my $250/mo lease for 6 more months.

This is my last post on this board. I have posted several times over the last year trying to get more info on buying out my 2015 top of the line Leaf. We loved the car, and took the 3 free months extension. After being very disappointed in the range of the 2018 we decided to buy this car. Even though the incentives seem to be going down from their peak last spring, we figured hey they will still be high enough to justify the purchase. Then BAM! Incentives dropped completely. As much as it pained us, we turned her in a few days ago. I've never been so sad to see a vehicle go, but I was not going to pay full price for a car with 85 miles of range in 2018. Nissan is nuts if they think these things are going to still be big sellers at this range. Ah well, at least I got my 3 months free! Good luck all. I really enjoyed my leaf, but sadly it's back to fossil fuels.

Katera said:
This is my last post on this board. I have posted several times over the last year trying to get more info on buying out my 2015 top of the line Leaf. We loved the car, and took the 3 free months extension. After being very disappointed in the range of the 2018 we decided to buy this car. Even though the incentives seem to be going down from their peak last spring, we figured hey they will still be high enough to justify the purchase. Then BAM! Incentives dropped completely. As much as it pained us, we turned her in a few days ago. I've never been so sad to see a vehicle go, but I was not going to pay full price for a car with 85 miles of range in 2018. Nissan is nuts if they think these things are going to still be big sellers at this range. Ah well, at least I got my 3 months free! Good luck all. I really enjoyed my leaf, but sadly it's back to fossil fuels.
They are being exported to Norway. Ship loads full of them. Now prices have stabilized for used leafs, it appears

HIOJim said:
...I'd love to know the thought process behind Nissan's 'no discount' policy. Do they really want a glut of used Leafs flooding their 2018 sales market?...

I suspect it's a matter of there being a temporary shortage of LEAFs for sale since 2017 production ceased combined with the number of lease extensions (with free months) that were granted. There are LEAFs still on the road that would normally have already been turned in. Could also mean a glut of used LEAFs in a few months?

Nubo said:
HIOJim said:
...I'd love to know the thought process behind Nissan's 'no discount' policy. Do they really want a glut of used Leafs flooding their 2018 sales market?...

I suspect it's a matter of there being a temporary shortage of LEAFs for sale since 2017 production ceased combined with the number of lease extensions (with free months) that were granted. There are LEAFs still on the road that would normally have already been turned in. Could also mean a glut of used LEAFs in a few months?

I was SHOCKED to hear that last LEAF was built in May....

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nubo said:
HIOJim said:

The mfg date on my door jamb is 06/2017. Must be one of the last 2017 Leaf's built then?

goldbrick said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Nubo said:

The mfg date on my door jamb is 06/2017. Must be one of the last 2017 Leaf's built then?

Yeah, normal to bump it a month. My build date was 10/2016 but got it Nov 10 so....

I talked to NMAC yesterday. They told me that there was an end of lease discount for January only and that I had to talk to the dealer to get the amount of the discount. I talked to the dealer who gave me the final price which was discounted about $4k below residual. I have 2 months left on my lease so debating what to do. I am wondering if this discount gets larger in 2 months. Anyone have any insight?

Leaf1 said:
I talked to NMAC yesterday. They told me that there was an end of lease discount for January only and that I had to talk to the dealer to get the amount of the discount. I talked to the dealer who gave me the final price which was discounted about $4k below residual. I have 2 months left on my lease so debating what to do. I am wondering if this discount gets larger in 2 months. Anyone have any insight?

Been burned before by being too gready. Take the deal.

If I had to guess, $4k below residual for a 2014 sounds like your total payments (lease payments + residual payment + tax) would probably be under $20k? Or is this a newer leaf?

Leaf1 said:

What I suggest you do is offer $1k below that, and see if they accept. If they don't, then take the deal offered. They are probably keeping $2k of the discount for themselves . If they accept, then you'll know they were. I think you get a CPO warranty as well; if you get a choice between that and $1k less, though, take the warranty.

Thank you for the response. I have a 2015 Leaf with 45k miles. What is a CPO warranty? I do assume they are keeping some portion for themselves. Thanks for the help.

CPO means "Certified Pre-Owned." Most manufacturers offer them through dealers, for premium-priced used cars that meet certain minimum requirements. It's usually similar to an extension of the factory warranty.

Back