Hello from ChargePoint!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider chargepoint the only reliable charge system out there right now. I still haven't had a failure. I don't count walgreens as I don't think they ever get used as they are outrageously expensive. Until we got an EV we use to shop there. Now we don't just on principal because of how they gouge. A huge missed opportunity for them. If they used them as a loss leader or even charged local rates they could probably draw in business. The way it is they invested money to push customers away. I know at least three other EVers who feel and do the same.

JMHO

ChargePoint is very unreliable here. They have 9 chargers at the local mall, only 3 of which are currently working. We have over a dozen of them at my workplace, and they are failing very quickly - currently less than half are working. Rather than fix them, ChargePoint is insisting we buy new (more expensive, of course) hardware! :!:

ChargePoint's model is great for them - they are able to make a profit without any of the risk or responsibility of providing good reliable service. As you can tell, my patience is wearing very thin with them as a company.

ChargePoint files lawsuit against SemaConnect for patent infringement related to networked vehicle charging...

https://www.chargepoint.com/about/news/chargepoint-files-patent-infringement-claim-against-semaconnect/

That sounds like a patent infringement fishing expedition. I agree with Evoforce--Chargepoint seems to be advertising here so their advertising posts should be moved to the business area and they should be paying appropriate fees. They have a few L2 locations near me, but their rates are quite high so I only use them if there is n othing else available and I need energy to get home.

ChargePoint, SemaConnect, Evoforce, EvGo... I wish there were some sort of charging infrastructure where I live, regardless of brand. That way I could travel without having to use campgrounds (which are all closed for winter.) It's kind of sad when you go to PlugShare and hardly see anything. I've tried to use ChargePoint's request-a-station but can't seem to get all the required information.

Happy New Year, everyone!

2018 brings with it new features for the ChargePoint app, and a new integration for ChargePoint Home with Amazon Echo!
Here's a quick summary via Engadget: http://bit.ly/CPEngadget

CP_Blog_Alexa_quote_0.jpg

Also, we've recently introduced station photos on the ChargePoint app. We hope these new features make it even easier for drivers to find stations, charge up and get updates on their charging status.

You'll find everything you need to know about voice control through Alexa, and the new app features over on the ChargePoint Blog: http://bit.ly/CP-Alexa

Cheers,

Ro H.
ChargePoint Community

TeamChargePoint said:
@IssacZachary @GetOffYourGas I'm sorry to hear you've had some recent issues! I've sent you both private messages to follow up. :)

Thank you for reaching out. I will be amazed if all 9 of the chargers at the mall start working. I'll be sure to check next time I am there. I always alert the mall to chargers that are blocked or not working, but they don't do a whole lot about it.

As for the ones at work, many of them are back online, no thanks to ChargePoint. And your company's response to our support request was terrible. Basically, we were told to 1) spend money upfront to replace otherwise working GE EVSEs and then 2) spend money on a recurring basis to have ChargePoint manage the back end. It sure sounds great to ChargePoint - us giving you lots of money for something that we were doing ourselves much less expensively. It just doesn't add up from our end, and only encourages the company to remove the EVSEs completely.

I have a general question about Chargepoint...

I have had my EV car for the past 3 1/2 years, and have been using Chargepoint since the beginning...

My question is this... I have noticed that NO NEW charging stations have been opened in the Nassau County, NY area during these three years... 1) Is this the best that it is going to get? 2) could this lack of new stations be related to fact that there has been an evolution of EVs, and that future EVs may not use j1772 plugs OR the 6.6KWH chargers will not be powerful enough for newer generation cars??

During the past 3 1/2 years, I would have LOVED to pull into regular highway exits, malls and parks, and be able to charge my car!! BUT It has not happened......

powersurge said:
I have a general question about Chargepoint...

I have had my EV car for the past 3 1/2 years, and have been using Chargepoint since the beginning...

My question is this... I have noticed that NO NEW charging stations have been opened in the Nassau County, NY area during these three years... 1) Is this the best that it is going to get? 2) could this lack of new stations be related to fact that there has been an evolution of EVs, and that future EVs may not use j1772 plugs OR the 6.6KWH chargers will not be powerful enough for newer generation cars??

During the past 3 1/2 years, I would have LOVED to pull into regular highway exits, malls and parks, and be able to charge my car!! BUT It has not happened......

My guess is that the focus has been on DCQC and not on L2 J1772 infrastructure. IMO, that's what we should be doing. There is very little chance that EVs are moving away from J1772 for L1/L2 charging anytime soon. But they just don't make sense for a lot of public charging cases. Or at least I don't see the case being very strong for them. You want L2 at home / work. Having it at businesses as a "loss leader" could make some sense, but it won't do a lot for EVs in general.

I agree that QC is the future of EVs. However,

(1) I would still like to plug in my car when I go to a store, park, or movie for a couple of hours and get 30-60 miles range during this down time. (2) I still think that L2 is not dead because it is still much easier and cheaper to find 240v lines and install a 400v charging station everywhere. (3) I have heard that the 400v QC charging stations are VERY costly and have liability issues.

If j1772 is not going away, then I want more L2 charging stations on every exit of highways and interstates.....

Once you have an EV with a battery much larger than you need for every day use, you look at public L2 differently. Sure, I might be slightly more willing to shop at Price Chopper than Wegman's simply because the former has free L2 for customers as a loss leader. But even then, I get maybe $0.50 worth of electricity while shopping at a grocery store with poorer selection and terrible produce. Is it worth it? Not usually.

GetOffYourGas said:
TeamChargePoint said:
@IssacZachary @GetOffYourGas I'm sorry to hear you've had some recent issues! I've sent you both private messages to follow up. :)

Thank you for reaching out. I will be amazed if all 9 of the chargers at the mall start working. I'll be sure to check next time I am there. I always alert the mall to chargers that are blocked or not working, but they don't do a whole lot about it.

As for the ones at work, many of them are back online, no thanks to ChargePoint. And your company's response to our support request was terrible. Basically, we were told to 1) spend money upfront to replace otherwise working GE EVSEs and then 2) spend money on a recurring basis to have ChargePoint manage the back end. It sure sounds great to ChargePoint - us giving you lots of money for something that we were doing ourselves much less expensively. It just doesn't add up from our end, and only encourages the company to remove the EVSEs completely.

I apologize for the experience you've had with our team in the past, but thank you so much for sharing your feedback with me directly. I've shared this feedback with our team too, and I hope that we'll have more opportunities to support your needs in the future. ]

@powersurge if you'd like to send me location-specific information in a private message here, I'd be happy to submit a station request for you!

I sent a PM, but just to add to this conversation. I was at the mall this weekend, and one of the previous out-of-order ChargePoints was working again. I don't know what the problem or resolution was, but I'm glad to see it working.

I went twice. The first time, I successfully charged. The second time, I couldn't access the chargers - they were all ICE'd. This is one of many reasons I question public L2. You cannot rely on it. As more EVs hit the roads, there will be more competition and you'll be able to depend on it even less. So you have to be able to make your trip without it. And now it's less of an enabling technology and simply becomes a nice perk.

Use the Plugshare app and scroll over to Japan. See the staggering amount of QC stations there are! Don't we just dream of the day here in the US. Now look and see how many L2's there are in Japan... Not very many and less necessary. Also, because of multitudes of QC, do we see why they are content with shorter range batteries?

Evoforce said:
Use the Plugshare app and scroll over to Japan. See the staggering amount of QC stations there are! Don't we just dream of the day here in the US. Now look and see how many L2's there are in Japan... Not very many and less necessary. Also, because of multitudes of QC, do we see why they are content with shorter range batteries?
Well...that, and....the whole country is smaller than some states in the US. A 300 mile EV would be totally unnecessary.

Evoforce said:

Per your suggestion, I did this. My 6-year-old came and peeked over my shoulder, and her first words were "wow, that's a lot of chargers!".

Then I scrolled back to upstate NY, and wanted to cry.

GetOffYourGas said:
Evoforce said:

Per your suggestion, I did this. My 6-year-old came and peeked over my shoulder, and her first words were "wow, that's a lot of chargers!".

Then I scrolled back to upstate NY, and wanted to cry.

Yeah but then you;d have to live in a very densely populated part of the world. I don't know what the EV adoption is like in Japan but it's probably much higher too. They are a very forward and progressive country, in terms of tech, so that probably helps too. but I like space.

We're proud to announce that ChargePoint has now been listed in the Global Cleantech 100 seven times, making us the first EV charging company to be inducted into the Cleantech Group Hall of Fame. We will continue to work with other industry leaders to enable clean transportation.

25p2639.png

Back