IR-blocking window treatments, or other heat-rejection?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubo

I'm wondering if Nissan is taking any special steps to keep heat out of the cabin? Since AC is a major power drain, anything to reduce the need would seem to have a major payoff in range, or at least passenger comfort. The great thing about an EV is you're not using power when stuck in a traffic jam. But as the temperature climbs...

For example, V-Kool window tinting has a high IR rejection while maintaining visible light transmissivity. Would seem like a natural for Leaf.

http://www.v-kool-usa.com/automotive_01

Even standard window tint does a massive job in keeping heat out of a car interior. I've had cars with both factory green tint and (illegal in CA) full car tint, and the full car tint does a much better job than factory tint alone.

The tint I run on the Focus sedan has been on since 2003 and I've never been stopped for it. It's 5% (limo) in the rear window, 20% (dark) on the rear door windows , and 35% (medium) on the front door windows. In conjunction with cracked door windows when parked, the car is usually quite comfortable to enter during summer, even when I can't come up with shade to park under.

I wish they'd change the law in CA so that you can have tint, but are obliged to roll down the windows when you are stopped for a traffic violation. I think that would alleviate the concerns of law enforcement officers for their safety.

mwalsh said:
I wish they'd change the law in CA so that you can have tint, but are obliged to roll down the windows when you are stopped for a traffic violation. I think that would alleviate the concerns of law enforcement officers for their safety.

This is the nice thing about VKool, You can get 70% light transmission, but still reject the heat. That will keep you on the good side of those sworn to serve and protect, even in CA. :)

I just received an estimate for having V-Kool film installed in a LEAF. $500 ! The closest place for me would be Mesa, AZ. See copy of email below . . .

we do use the V- Kool film, and can certainly apply it to your new car. We do not have a location in Tucson, our only location is in Mesa. The V-Kool film takes approximately 4 hours to install and we are open Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5 and we will need one weeks notice to get you on the schedule. The cost for the V-Kool film is $500.00 + tax.

I'll need to find a shady spot to park.

That's what I paid (after tax) to have Huper Optik film installed on my Subaru. The stuff works pretty well but I don't think I'd spend $500 on it again.

My Subaru has the AM/FM antenna in the rear window, so metallic films (most of them) were out of the question. But it looks like the Leaf has an external antenna...yay. Metallic films are cheap.

1 watt power dissipation equates to about 3.4 BTU. Assuming 250 watt-hours propulsion cost per mile of travel, you would save about 1 mile of range per hour in terms of cooling "cost" for each 850 BTU of heat rejection. Of course that assumes perfect efficiency in the AC, and would definitely need to be de-rated.

I'm still trying to find some reference as to how much heat rejection these films could produce in a car.

Back