Why the LEAF Gen 2 and not the 220 miles Tesla Model 3?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the heated steering wheel pulsed on and off for all models afaik but never got cold. It went from lukewarm to blazingly warm. Some said too hot, I thought it was just right!

The reality is the answer to the question for most is simply the LEAF will be cheaper and easier to get. I think the base model Tesla is the only EV that is worth the MSRP asked. LEAF even with low priced features added still not worth the price despite several thousand price cut from 2017 but then again, who is going to pay full price? It won't happen. The LEAF will have oodles of incentives and the Tesla won't excepting maybe half a fed credit if you are lucky.

Both are great cars and very few major wants that can't be had another way.

Now my 2016 did not have heated steering wheel but I made it work (while it lasted) but I don't live in upstate New York either. That weather changes EVERYTHING!

DaveinOlyWA said:
I think the base model Tesla is the only EV that is worth the MSRP asked.

I agree. To this point, I believe that Tesla set the target price based on a post-incentives world whereas Nissan (and Chevy) set the price based on the credits existing. This hypothesis will be tested when the credits expire - I expect Tesla to hold firm to their price while Nissan and Chevy drop the MSRP and/or put a ton of cash on the hood.

DaveinOlyWA said:
the heated steering wheel pulsed on and off for all models afaik but never got cold. It went from lukewarm to blazingly warm. Some said too hot, I thought it was just right!
When it's under 20°F and the heater goes off cycle the steering wheel gets cold before it cycles back on. It probably depends upon your weather.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I agree. To this point, I believe that Tesla set the target price based on a post-incentives world whereas Nissan (and Chevy) set the price based on the credits existing. This hypothesis will be tested when the credits expire - I expect Tesla to hold firm to their price while Nissan and Chevy drop the MSRP and/or put a ton of cash on the hood.

I also agree, but one other possibility is that Tesla knew there would be (justifiably) a high demand for heavily optioned models that could subsidize the base models. GM can't really do anything to the Bolt to make someone pay $50K for it. The optioned out M3, however, looks and performs on par with a BMW M3 (subjective opinion of course). I'm a cheapskate, but I know car enthusiasts who think the Sport Model 3 is a bargain when compared to other cars with similar performance.

webb14leafs said:
GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I also agree, but one other possibility is that Tesla knew there would be (justifiably) a high demand for heavily optioned models that could subsidize the base models. GM can't really do anything to the Bolt to make someone pay $50K for it. The optioned out M3, however, looks and performs on par with a BMW M3 (subjective opinion of course). I'm a cheapskate, but I know car enthusiasts who think the Sport Model 3 is a bargain when compared to other cars with similar performance.

Bolts in CA are being discounted up to $5K off MSRP before incentives. So clearly they are blowing out 2017 models.

You also have to realize that Tesla has a fanatical fan base who will pay anything for the car and that's why if you want one, you have to pay MSRP. With that in mind, I would imagine they are not really worried about tax incentives or credits, especially when they already have a demographic happy to pay a hundred grand or more for a car and even the people getting their Model 3 right now are paying around sixty grand for them (at least everyone I've talked to who have taken delivery thus far). If you can afford a $60K - $120K Tesla, you're probably not really worried about $7500 in the grand scheme of things. The 2019 Leaf is supposed to have the increased range, but it's also supposed to cost more money. For me, even the regular Leaf is too expensive and for many people, so is a base Model 3.

Back