iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you bought an LELink and it does not work with LeafSpy and gets stuck in state 00 that can be fixed by replacing the User_BLE_Id.txt file with a customized one for the new LELInk. Just email me a request for it.

This will be fixed in the next release and is also available in the current text release.

Hello. I have problem with connect software with the adapter. I have WiFi OBD2 adapter. When I follow the pairing instruction LEAF PRO SETUP, point 6 (press DONE) is causing software crash.
I’ve try on iPad Pro, iPhone SE and iPhone 4 (on iOS 7.2), all is the same.
The adapter itself work fine with other software.
Do you need any logs?
The adapter is similar to this one:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19147&start=350#p515063

Dominik said:
Hello. I have problem with connect software with the adapter. I have WiFi OBD2 adapter. When I follow the pairing instruction LEAF PRO SETUP, point 6 (press DONE) is causing software crash.
I’ve try on iPad Pro, iPhone SE and iPhone 4 (on iOS 7.2), all is the same.
The adapter itself work fine with other software.
Do you need any logs?
The adapter is similar to this one:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19147&start=350#p515063
This problem seems to be caused by non-ASCII data being sent by the WiFi adapter.

Send me your email address and I will add you to the iOS tester's group where you can install test version 1.6.31 which handles bad data.

I also have version 1.6.32 coming out in a day or two that will log the bad data to an ELM trace so I can actually see what it is.

Dominik said:
I’ve sent email from tem***@**.pl
The problem with this particular WiFi OBDII adapter is it is send 0xFC as the first character of its version signature. That invalid ASCII character causes Apple's Swift string conversion function to crash. Test version 1.6.31 handles this by capturing the exception and ignoring the bad character.

Turbo3 said:
Dominik said:
I’ve sent email from tem***@**.pl
The problem with this particular WiFi OBDII adapter is it is send 0xFC as the first character of its version signature. That invalid ASCII character causes Apple's Swift string conversion function to crash. Test version 1.6.31 handles this by capturing the exception and ignoring the bad character.
This WiFi adapter has problems with the Leaf protocol. Even when the invalid character is ignored it still does not work with the Leaf.

Instant crash when trying to open Leaf Spy Pro on my iPhone 7+ using the latest version of IOS.

I purchased this OBDII adapter on Amazon based upon reviews stating it worked with Leaf Spy Pro on IOS.

: Check Engine Light Scan Tool | WiFi Auto OBD2 Diagnostics ELM 327 Adapter | Universal Car Engine Scanner & Reader for iPhone or Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07195Y67Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sWkCAbPZ3VTMB

The adapter is recognized in Setup on my phone. I open up Leaf Spy Pro on my phone, go into settings, choose the OBDII adapter, tap Done, and the app crashes.

I have rebooted the phone. I have turned the vehicle on and off. The same problem keeps happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently started using LeafSpy Pro iOS v1.6.28 and I’m using LELink OBD-II.

I had a problem getting it to download data at first. (I see several posts with similar problems). Long story short, I finally discovered it was a simple hardware problem. I was pushing the OBD in too far.

Now I turn on the car, turn on my iPhone app, then slowly, gently push the OBD into the car receptacle until the phone says connected and data starts flowing to the phone. I don’t push it in any further. This has resulted in success every time.

Will LeafSpy Pro iOS v1.6.28 using LELink OBD-II work with the 2018 LEAF when it arrives?

Or will I need a new version of it?

Wineaux said:
Instant crash when trying to open Leaf Spy Pro on my iPhone 7+ using the latest version of IOS.

I purchased this OBDII adapter on Amazon based upon reviews stating it worked with Leaf Spy Pro on IOS.

: Check Engine Light Scan Tool | WiFi Auto OBD2 Diagnostics ELM 327 Adapter | Universal Car Engine Scanner & Reader for iPhone or Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07195Y67Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sWkCAbPZ3VTMB

The adapter is recognized in Setup on my phone. I open up Leaf Spy Pro on my phone, go into settings, choose the OBDII adapter, tap Done, and the app crashes.

I have rebooted the phone. I have turned the vehicle on and off. The same problem keeps happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There is a new cost reduced (from a manufacturing point of view) WiFi OBDII adapter. It has two problems.

1. When reset it sends an invalid ASCII character that causes the current released version of LeafSpy to crash. This is fixed in a test release that you can have by sending me the email address you use on your iOS device.

2. Even with the crash fixed the new WiFi adapter has a bug that prevents if from handling the unique Nissan Leaf protocol.

You can verify you have this problem by requesting access to the latest test version which also logs the invalid data to the ErrData.txt file. You can then take an ELM trace (see bottom of help for how to do it) and send it to me and I can confirm problem 2.

I highly recommend getting the LELink Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter which can be ordered worldwide from this link. (I get no part of the purchase.)

http://www.outdoor-apps.com/store1.html

Does anyone know the power consumption of the LeLink device? Just how "low energy" is Bluetooth LE? I can't find specs, and would like to leave plugged-in if possible. I'm looking for mA or mW, not anecdotal stories.

Nubo said:
Does anyone know the power consumption of the LeLink device? Just how "low energy" is Bluetooth LE? I can't find specs, and would like to leave plugged-in if possible. I'm looking for mA or mW, not anecdotal stories.
I read around 33.7 ma idle and 38.7 ma while LeafSpy is running so Bluetooth is actively sending data.

Update: The new LELink^2 takes this down to 0 ma in sleep mode (requires LeafSpy Pro iOS version 1.7.34 or higher).

Turbo3 said:
Nubo said:
I read around 33.7 ma idle and 38.7 ma while LeafSpy is running so Bluetooth is actively sending data.
Thanks. Do you mean the device is using those amounts, or is that the total dark current for the car?

Turbo3 said:
Wineaux said:

There is a new cost reduced (from a manufacturing point of view) WiFi OBDII adapter. It has two problems.

1. When reset it sends an invalid ASCII character that causes the current released version of LeafSpy to crash. This is fixed in a test release that you can have by sending me the email address you use on your iOS device.

2. Even with the crash fixed the new WiFi adapter has a bug that prevents if from handling the unique Nissan Leaf protocol.

You can verify you have this problem by requesting access to the latest test version which also logs the invalid data to the ErrData.txt file. You can then take an ELM trace (see bottom of help for how to do it) and send it to me and I can confirm problem 2.

I highly recommend getting the LELink Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter which can be ordered worldwide from this link. (I get no part of the purchase.)

I will PM you my email address. I had opted not to order the LeLink because of the truly awful reviews of the adapter. There is a serious issue with that adapter dying often, and from review dates it has been an ongoing and unaddressed issue stretching back several years. The adapter I chose was similarly priced, but didn’t have the reliability problems of the LeLink.

Nubo said:
Turbo3 said:
Nubo said:
Thanks. Do you mean the device is using those amounts, or is that the total dark current for the car?
Just the device.

Wineaux said:
Turbo3 said:
Wineaux said:

I will PM you my email address. I had opted not to order the LeLink because of the truly awful reviews of the adapter. There is a serious issue with that adapter dying often, and from review dates it has been an ongoing and unaddressed issue stretching back several years. The adapter I chose was similarly priced, but didn’t have the reliability problems of the LeLink.
They offer a 2 year warranty so that should not be a problem. If you order from Amazon getting a replacement is easy. I have ordered three now and have not had a problem. BLE also requires a compatible app so that can also be a problem for a new user thinking it is like normal Bluetooth.

There is also a new LELink marked with a tiny superscript 2 after the"k" (look closely as it is hard to see on the clear plastic cover) that needs a new version of LeafSpy due to the way LeafSpy auto detect BLE devices.

Release version 1.7.34 is now waiting for Apple to review and release which should happen sometime Monday given they don't review on Sunday.

- Support for the new LELink^2 and its zero power mode. This is now the recommend OBDII adapter for all version of LeafSpy.
- Full support for the 2018 Leaf
- Support for Custom screens on screen 3. Create your own screen with just the information you want to see. Swipe up/down on screen 3 to see sample custom screen and load other custom screens. Tap Freeze button in lower right corner twice to Adjust Font size then tap top or bottom of screen to increase/decease font size.
- Motor/Inverter only mode for those using only the Motor/Inverter unit from the Leaf.
- Handle bad data from newer WiFi adapters and log bad data to ERRdata.txt file. The one WiFi that I have that does this also does not support the ELM commands so still cannot be used with the Leaf. But now it will not cause LeafSpy to crash.
- Added 1024x1024 icon to support higher resolution screens.
- New "Enable auto headlight" feature on those Leafs that did not originally come with this feature. Requires that the necessary hardware has been added to actually work.

Hi,

Today I received my ELM327 OBDII Wifi that I ordered from Amazon (https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00DE8AAX2/ref=pe_3310721_189395781_TE_dp_1). I followed your WIFI help/settings but it does not work. Any solution? Do you think this device is not suitable for the LEAF?

The device shows a red led when connected to the LEAF. When I open the leafSpy app it finds the device on the settings but after "Register Current SSID" procedure, the LeafSpy stays yellow. In the OBDII you can find some "action" in the LED display (red always showing but some Blue/Green lights fast blinking) but that's it...

Thanks!

Back