Poll : The official 2013 "Did you Lease or Buy?" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you buy or lease ?

• My First Leaf : Bought

Votes: 174 39.5%
  • My First Leaf : Leased

Votes: 239 54.2%
  • Not my First Leaf : Bought

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Not my First Leaf : Leased

Votes: 21 4.8%

• Total voters
arnis said:
Is it also called leasing if I pay every month and after 5 years (60 months) of successfully doing so vehicle will be mine?

In English we call that "financing" and so long as you intend to keep it instead of turning it back in to the manufacturer or whoever is taking your payments you can say you "bought" it.

I see. In EU usually bank buys the vehicle (pays 100% to manufacturer on the first day).
Agreement says that until the last cent hasn't been paid back real owner is the bank.
It is also possible to choose not to pay "residual" value 10-15%. Vehicle will be taken away.
Financially it is always reasonable to buy the vehicle and then sell on the next day (if ever).
For example German site: http://www.mobile.de/?lang=en
Or my local: http://eng.auto24.ee/kasutatud/nimekiri.php?bn=2&a=100&aj=&b=11&bw=2024&ae=2&af=50&ag=0&ag=1&otsi=search
Dealers and private sellers use the same portals. Everybody pays small fee to site owners (1-5€ per car).

So selling a vehicle costs almost nothing. All you have to do is answer calls and let others do test drives.
To sell all you have to do is log in at Road Administration website , click "ownership transfer";
Then receive the money from whoever wants the vehicle and then click "confirm transaction";
New owner gets documents by mail within few days.
So selling a vehicle takes literally less than 5 minutes (plus 10 minutes to click check-boxes and take some photos for the ad) :)

arnis said:
I see. In EU usually bank buys the vehicle (pays 100% to manufacturer on the first day).
Agreement says that until the last cent hasn't been paid back real owner is the bank.
It is also possible to choose not to pay "residual" value 10-15%. Vehicle will be taken away.

If there is a residual we call it a "lease"
If there isn't we call it "financing"

Either way some company has their name on the title and you share ownership with them until pay the last payment and there is no outstanding debt.

If you pay in full it is "bought", if you "finance" you are "buying" until you "pay it off".

If you "lease" you may or may not "pay it off" so we don't consider that buying until you decide to pay the residual.

dhanson865 said:
arnis said:

If there is a residual we call it a "lease"
If there isn't we call it "financing"

Either way some company has their name on the title and you share ownership with them until pay the last payment and there is no outstanding debt.

If you pay in full it is "bought", if you "finance" you are "buying" until you "pay it off".

If you "lease" you may or may not "pay it off" so we don't consider that buying until you decide to pay the residual.

Yes, also within financing option they've got this "balloon payment" amount, which means they take this amount off of the final total and then figure out the financing payments based on the final total less this balloon amount. Then you make your finance payments as normal for the selected Term/Rate and at the end pay this balloon amount. This is not a lease but a way to purchase finance and get your monthly payments down. I've not looked at the Total Borrowing Costs in this method but it did not interest me.

Just something else they throw at us here in North America.

I just bought a used 2013 Leaf SV (Bose and surround camera) with 31k miles for 10k out the door financed :D First EV so excited to learn all about them.

WesR32 said:
I just bought a used 2013 Leaf SV (Bose and surround camera) with 31k miles for 10k out the door financed :D First EV so excited to learn all about them.

What is the build month n the driver's side door sill sticker?

Lesson #1: keep the battery as cool as is possible in your hot climate. Also don't charge when the battery is hot (above 6 temp bars) and especially don't use Quick Charge (if you have the port) when the battery is hot. 120 volt "L-1" charging seems to cause little or no heating of the battery.

LeftieBiker said:
WesR32 said:

What is the build month n the driver's side door sill sticker?

Lesson #1: keep the battery as cool as is possible in your hot climate. Also don't charge when the battery is hot (above 6 temp bars) and especially don't use Quick Charge (if you have the port) when the battery is hot. 120 volt "L-1" charging seems to cause little or no heating of the battery.

Thanks for the tips. Its in the safe zone 7/13. I knew that heat would be a problem in Fl so yes i will keep that in mind. I plan to stick with the L1 charging at home. Nissan ZeroE charger says direct wall plug in only, is there any easy ways to extend the cord to the street without buying a new longer one?

A heavy duty, genuinely high quality extension cord rated for 1800 watts will work. The problem is that with everything now made in China, there is quality variance even within batches of the same brand and model.

Back