Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a chance to do a long test drive yesterday. I was able to drive from home to work and back on a single charge. Just over 30 Km at zero degrees celsius. In EV mode the engine never kicked in. Even full accelerator pedal deflection does not start the ICE.
Frustrating that they don't include more EV information in the displays. The battery indicator does not use % values. Even when plugged in there is no indication of charging rate. No volts, amps or watts. :(

GRA said:
For a review that expresses my own reservations* about the Outlander PHEV in the U.S. market, see
Flash Drive: 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-In Hybrid plugs in budget-conscious greenies
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/la...ander-plug-in-hybrid-review-article-1.3785887

*I personally don't care about the lack of touchscreens, in-built nav etc. and prefer physical controls, but agree with the other concerns.
As for charging, you'll be tethered to the wall for four hours using a DC Fast Charger,
:roll: :lol: :lol:
23 minutes from empty to 80% using CHAdeMO. Even at a Starbucks. ;) (Look for the white bear...)
https://www.plugshare.com/location/60909

As for overall handling, I've been driving Euro cars since about 1983 and prefer the way they handle as compared with the relatively 'mushy and disconnected' feeling of US or Japanese tuning. Yet I like the way this car feels - the ride is smooth in both the city and highway. The power steering isn't over-boosted (like I experienced in a Prius and my drives in a 2010 LEAF). It's a 4000 lb car - it's absolutely not as 'go cart like' as my smart but it shouldn't be. But it was fun to thrash around an icy parking lot on the way home from Minneapolis! :lol:

...the splendid leather seating available with the range-topping GT trim...
North American vehicles have two trims - SEL and GT - both have the same leather seats.

Based on a day's driving (a whole day! LOL), most likely driving it like a gas car, the author claims hills are too much for the drive train. Yeah, ok - let's ignore that the European tow rating is 1500 kg, not 1500 lbs, and that owners tow travel trailers through the Alps with their Outlander PHEVs. There is a noticeable difference in hill-climbing performance at 70 mph with a depleted battery, no doubt, as the 117 hp ICE is moving the car by itself. Keep a bit of charge, though, and the car's moved up the hill by 117 hp + 80 from the pair of electric motors. That's a whole different story.

As for touch screens, the car has a 7 inch infotainment screen and as far as I can tell every square cm of it is full of touchysensorystuff. The screen controls the AM/FM/satellite/USB/bluetooth audio system. It will display plenty of efficiency info. It also connects via USB to a smart phone using AndroidAuto or the Apple equivalent to display maps. It has integrated voice commands, hands-free calls and texting, etc. I prefer this system for maps as Google's maps are pretty much always up to date - one doesn't have to spend $150 every year for a map update from the dealer.

HVAC controls are separate and logical, and placed in the center of the dash where we naturally expect them to be - one doesn't have to scroll through menus to bump up the temperature a degree.

My take? Crap article from someone paid by the word and clearly not a subject matter expert - and probably not someone with many 'pilot in command' hours in a plug-in car.

To be fair, this model Outlander is at the end of the cycle. The 2019 is rumored to have a completely new design and at least twice the range.
http://forococheselectricos.com/201...nder-phev-2019-doble-autonomia-electrica.html

Yeah, it's just a city car. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L93-vxsbtxc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm6Hy5fkxzc[/youtube]

So far, at the 1900 mile mark, my average fuel economy is 50. All of my local trips are 100% electric.

I took a 170 mile drive up I-35 to Cabela's** starting with about half a charge and 9 EV miles showing on the guess-o-meter. Speeds ranged from suburban 35/45 mph, to afternoon rush hour stop and start, to regular interstate driving. The only thing I did for economy was kept my speed below 65...most of the time. ;) I used charge hold most of the trip, keeping about 30% charge. Fuel economy outbound was 41.3 MPG (46% EV). For the round trip, fuel economy was 36 MPG.

Most people would see '9 miles of EV range' and decide the drive would be about 5% electric. The reality was that the trip was about 40% electric. This is because the computer controls the ICE - the driver doesn't. Driving up the road at 65 only uses about 1/3 of the available power from the ICE - and that leaves plenty of room for the ICE to run at it's most efficient speed while also recharging the battery.

**That's a drive I've been wanting to make for almost a year - I got a gift certificate for my birthday last year. My smart would have needed four charge stops to make the trip and it doesn't have fast charge capability. There isn't infrastructure in the right places to make the trip possible, even if I wanted to spend 15 hours getting L2 charges enroute.

Via IEVS:
2019 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Gets 15% Bigger Battery, Range Improves
https://insideevs.com/new-2019-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-with-15-more-battery-capacity/

. . . The new 2019 version – scheduled for early fall (Europe) – will get more all-electric range, but not much more. Here are the details:

• A 2.4 Atkinson cycle petrol engine replaces the previous regular Otto cycle 2.0 liter. It allows for higher torque, smoother operation, and overall higher efficiency
    The generator output is increased by 10%
    The rear motor output is increased by 10%
    The drive battery capacity is increased by 15% (13.8 kWh instead 12 kWh)
    The drive battery output is increased by 10%

Other changes are design tweaks and two more driving modes (SPORT gives the driver more direct control for greater driving enjoyment on winding roads and SNOW mode provides greater confidence on snow-covered, or slippery surfaces). . . .

The outside appearance of the vehicle has been enhanced with a number of subtle improvements, such as new LED tech-look headlamps, rectangular front fog lamp bezels, a more substantial front grille with the DYNAMIC SHIELD visual identity, and a front center cover skid plate. A more elaborate multi-spoke two-tone design for the new 18 inch alloy wheels, and the addition of a larger rear spoiler give the car a sharper and more sophisticated look.

Inside, changes underscore a quality feeling, highlighted by the new quilted fine leather upholstery, all-new hip-hugging front seats, revised switchgear, a new instrument panel, new trimming, rear A/C outlets, and more. . . .
The power and Sport modes are improvements I'd want, for better driving dynamics and acceleration (for passing - I don't care about 0-60), but we'll have too see just what effect they have. Hopefully the Atkinson cycle will improve the HWY mpg, but I'd expect a greater effect on the City cycle, and it remains to be seen what effect it will have on NVH.

Isn't the Mitsubishi like the Volt in that the ICE basically runs a generator that both charges the battery and powers the electric motors that propel the vehicle? If thats the case why does it need such a large ICE? I mean the Volt could get by with a 1.5L ICE, why would the Outlander need to be larger? Again unless it's actually directly powering the wheels, a generator sure the heck doesn't need to be 2400cc or even 2000cc for that matter :?

While I applaud their efforts I still say they are clueless about the N. American market :roll:
For one, battery size. Why not just make it 16kw so we can get the full rebate, anything less is just money left on the table as well as less range :?
"all-new hip-hugging front seats" F* that! Most Americans are fat(obese actually) no one wants "hip-hugging front seats" ala the Bolt or Volt, actually give us seats that are comfortable and not crap people have to bolster with their own foam or re-engineer!

No mention of something that would be a real improvement, a heat pump heater, only Toyota and their Prius Prime seems to understand the importance of that with a vehicle with a relatively small battery.

only Toyota and their Prius Prime seems to understand the importance of that with a vehicle with a relatively small battery.

It took years of me and other people in the Prius PHEV driver's group repeatedly calling on them to provide a heat pump. They didn't do it quickly or happily.

jjeff said:
Isn't the Mitsubishi like the Volt in that the ICE basically runs a generator that both charges the battery and powers the electric motors that propel the vehicle? If thats the case why does it need such a large ICE? I mean the Volt could get by with a 1.5L ICE, why would the Outlander need to be larger? Again unless it's actually directly powering the wheels, a generator sure the heck doesn't need to be 2400cc or even 2000cc for that matter :?
I forget if the Outlander has a parallel mode as well as series mode. Re the size of the engine, the volt' weighs considerably less and is a lot more aerodynamic. It may also be that the engine's that big because NVH of a smaller one was judged unacceptable, which was probably a factor in the Volt's engine getting bigger and more powerful from gen 1 to 2, although the desire to reduce the number of occasions when the ICE needed help from the battery may also have been a factor. It's also true that the Gen 2 Volt gets better Hwy mpg than the Gen 1,which may be due to the engine having to work less hard, although other powertrain changes may have more to do with that.

jjeff said:
While I applaud their efforts I still say they are clueless about the N. American market :roll:
For one, battery size. Why not just make it 16kw so we can get the full rebate, anything less is just money left on the table as well as less range :?
Presumably because they can't fit that big a battery in yet without encroaching on cargo space, and for most people who want an CUV/SUV, maximum utility is more important than maximum AER.

jjeff said:
"all-new hip-hugging front seats" F* that! Most Americans are fat(obese actually) no one wants "hip-hugging front seats" ala the Bolt or Volt, actually give us seats that are comfortable and not crap people have to bolster with their own foam or re-engineer!
Some of us are fine with the Bolt's seats, but U.S. demographics do skew wide and heavy. Perhaps it will encourage people to get more exercise and lead healthier lifestyles - yeah, right :roll:

jjeff said:

No mention of something that would be a real improvement, a heat pump heater, only Toyota and their Prius Prime seems to understand the importance of that with a vehicle with a relatively small battery.
The rebate isn't a universal thing - I've purchased three plug-ins so far and haven't gotten a rebate for either the vehicles or even most of the EVSE rebate.

The Outlander PHEV has three modes - EV, series hybrid and parallel hybrid. Because there's no transmission between the ICE and the front drivetrain, the car only goes into parallel hybrid mode when climbing hills or when high power is needed (like cruising at 80 in a headwind with the AC running). (ETA...that wasn't very clear. Because there's a fixed gear ratio between the ICE and front wheels, the car cannot go into parallel hybrid mode until it's traveling fast enough to be in the ICE's torque curve [about 40 mph minimum]. It's configured to be a 'boost engine' for high speed driving or pulling a hill when the battery's low.)

The 2L ICE is properly sized for a 4WD car this size that can also haul a load or tow.

A heat pump is a weight/expense trade-off. I experienced the effectiveness of the electric heater and heated seats on an overnight drive at -7°F and they work well. And with heat available from the ICE as it cycles on and off, there's not much point in a heat pump.

This car's a PHEV-20, not an EV. Different animal.

The seats are quite comfortable - on par with my in-law's Lexus LS400 sedan. Both fronts are 6-way power adjustable, and they recline flat. Combined with the reclining rear seats, they make a pair of comfy beds.

The battery uses the same box and electronics as the iMiev, which is already engineered, tested, and in production. I'm guessing that's the biggest reason why this car has the battery it has.

Via IEVS, Alex's usual highly-detailed review:
Alex On Autos Reviews 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
https://insideevs.com/alex-autos-reviews-2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev/

Summary:
All-in-all, the Outlander PHEV is a much better SUV than the low-rated ICE variant, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. However, if you’re shopping for a compact crossover with a plug, this is really your only choice in the U.S. at this time, and it’s priced right at $34,595.
I think they really need the engine mod of the 2019 to make the car more desirable for the U.S. market, but there seems to be some doubt as to whether these mods will be available on non-Euro-spec cars that year, which IMO would be ridiculous. As noted upthread, I'd personally want better handling as well, along with better HWY fuel economy.

GRA said:
Via IEVS, Alex's usual highly-detailed review:
Alex On Autos Reviews 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
https://insideevs.com/alex-autos-reviews-2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev/

Summary:
All-in-all, the Outlander PHEV is a much better SUV than the low-rated ICE variant, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. However, if you’re shopping for a compact crossover with a plug, this is really your only choice in the U.S. at this time, and it’s priced right at $34,595.
I think they really need the engine mod of the 2019 to make the car more desirable for the U.S. market, but there seems to be some doubt as to whether these mods will be available on non-Euro-spec cars that year, which IMO would be ridiculous. As noted upthread, I'd personally want better handling as well, along with better HWY fuel economy.
Decent review and the tech points appear to be accurate as far as they go. There are two really important points that are quickly passed over: he talks about fuel economy for longer trips when not plugging-in, and for his budget numbers he uses the EPA standard 15,000 mile year and their combined mode fuel economy which are determined when not plugging-in.

I have no idea why some people think that the car needs a larger ICE. Same for highway fuel economy. My highway fuel economy in normal driving (like the 180 mile round trip to my in-law's) is in the mid-30s with no en-route or destination charging. Most of my driving is still 100% electric and my average is still over 50 MPG. I also don't agree with the reviewer's handling assessment, but meh. I drive mine daily and he just gets a day without plugging in. :lol:

AndyH, I appreciate your real world postings :)
I agree it's easy to get caught up in numbers and not see the forest for the trees. Just like the Volt that initially had quite mediocre ICE MPG numbers, quite a few real world people were getting 1000+ MPG average by plugging whenever they could.
Personally I'd have liked something more like the new Prius Prime for HWY MPG but then again I know one will not get something like that in a high profile vehicle SUV like an Outlander, and as the article said, as much as other mfgs. talk about coming out with a PHEV or even BEV SUV, as of yet Mitsubishi is the only one that has done so in N. America.
AFA the Mitsubishi name and auto press, they basically get no respect. Been this way for years and to whether you agree is up to you to decide. I don't see a ton of Mitsubishi's around hear, some but nothing like other brands. I do see many up in Canada where I vacation in the summer and people really seem to like them, maybe Canadians value the dollar more than brand of car they drive :idea:
I'd have no problem with a Mitsubishi, heck I was seriously looking at one before I got my 1st Leaf quite a few years ago. Very good HWY and CTY mileage from it's anemic(but totally adequate IMO) 3 cylinder engine, great price, adequate room for a family around town, etc. but in the end ended up wanting to go totally electric. If the Outlander PHEV had been available in N. America I sure would have seriously looked at it, at this point I'm probably fine with my Leafs and old(but still reliable) Prius for long trips and borrowing a relative's 24 MPG :( SUV for occasional camping trips, which really makes me appreciate the Leaf or Prius :lol:
I realize not everyone has an opportunity to borrow such a vehicle in which case, if they were going to own just one vehicle something like the Outlander, would be a decent choice for an all in one vehicle. Not great in any one department, but probably cheaper than owning 2 or even 3 vehicles.

jjeff said:
AndyH, I appreciate your real world postings :)
Glad to help!
jjeff said:
...if they were going to own just one vehicle something like the Outlander, would be a decent choice for an all in one vehicle. Not great in any one department, but probably cheaper than owning 2 or even 3 vehicles.
Definitely cheaper than owning more vehicles. :cool:

Folks are using the EVBattMon app as well as PHEVWatchDog to get cell-level data. Here's an example from the 69 vehicles in the PHEV WatchDog beta program (one of those is mine). Yes, most of those are in Europe where speed limits are lower. I think you nailed it, though - it's very much like the difference between the 'detached number crunchers working from incomplete data' and 'real world' info we saw when the Volt launched...and the LEAF...and probably the 1969 Dodge Ch@rger. 'Cause car people. :lol:

(Hang on...we can attach images on the MyOutlander forum but not here...)

watchdog.jpg

(This beta version with data uploads to the website has only been on the streets since mid-winter. Since most of the cars are reporting from Europe, and since it's been a stupid cold winter there, I expect the numbers to improve once they get a full year's worth of data logged.)

Went for a drive today. 158 miles traveled round trip. Nearly all highway - less than 5 miles were on 45 mph secondary roads. Eco mode on, AC on, cruise control set on 65. I drove 10 miles in EV mode, then selected 'charge hold' until I got to within 10 miles of the destination and finished the drive on the battery. MPG when I arrived was 42.9. After shopping, I drove 5 miles down the road and got 20 minutes of CHAdeMO goodness - added 6.3 Ah. Finished the drive home using the charge hold until I was 12 miles out, then switched to EV mode to arrive with no battery. Round trip fuel economy was 44.6 MPG.

Guy - does that get closer to your thoughts on driving into town to use the charge once in the city limit? Or do you have other thoughts in mind?

Also, since I think I'm missing you in other areas as well, what sort of capability or upgrades do you think you or other Americans would want in order to make the car more useful to them?

Via IEVS:
Mitsubishi Updates 2019 Outlander PHEV With More Of Everything
https://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-update-2019-outlander-phev-with-more-of-everything/

A bit more detail on updates previously announced, including improvements to the engine: More power/torque, EV top speed up from 78 to 84 mph, uses Otto/Atkinson cycle as required for better power/more efficiency, bigger battery, changes to steering feel and response, shocks altered to improve ride, new 'Sport' mode, etc. Only talks about UK introduction in September, no info on when North America might see it.

GRA said:
Via IEVS:
Mitsubishi Updates 2019 Outlander PHEV With More Of Everything
https://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-update-2019-outlander-phev-with-more-of-everything/

A bit more detail on updates previously announced, including improvements tot ehengine More power/torque, EV top speed up from 78 to 84 mph, uses Otto/Atkinson cycle as required for better power/more efficiency, bigger battery, changes to steering feel and response, shocks altered to improve ride, new 'Sport' mode, etc. Only talks about UK introduction in September, no info on when North America might see it.

Not too bad. I just bought a Kia Niro PHEV, and it's pretty much everything I want in a vehicle, but if AWD and some proper off-roading ability was anywhere in my priorities, I'd be taking a look at this 2019... when it comes to NA in 5 years. :lol:

Expect a significant increase in the USA MPGe and gas-only highway MPG ratings after EPA test results are available:

...Unsurprisingly, the powertrain received the most extensive engineering focus with the development of a new “4B12” 2.4-litre petrol engine, which uses its MIVEC variable-valve timing system to seamlessly switch between Otto and Atkinson combustion cycles depending on the driving situation. The larger capacity means the engine produces more power (135hp vs 121hp) and more torque across a wider rev range (211Nm vs 190Nm) when operating in the familiar Otto cycle mode, which is ideal for moderate-to-high load situations such as inclines and rapid acceleration. At the same time, the petrol engine also manages to be more efficient than before because it can switch to the Atkinson cycle - where the inlet valve remains open for longer, effectively reducing the compression stroke, thereby decreasing its capacity and consequently burning less fuel – under light load conditions such as motorway cruising...

...the Outlander PHEV’s pure EV range is more than enough for the average daily UK commute: An impressive 28 miles according to the new, more stringent real-world WLTP tests. The WLTP average fuel economy figure for the new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is 141mpg ...
And it remains the only PHEV sold in the USA with a CHAdeMO port, for both DC charging, AND:

...A fully-fuelled/charged Outlander PHEV has sufficient energy capacity to power a regular household for up to 10 days.

One of the attractions of MMC’s PHEV technology is that it allows drivers to use their batteries to supply DC electricity to their home, their community and the power grid. This capability opens the door to a new era of more efficient energy management.

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is already smart grid compatible and Mitsubishi Motors anticipates the gradual introduction of vehicle to home (V2H) schemes over the coming years and are already involved in demonstrator programs in various countries...
http://www.mitsubishi-media.co.uk/release/1410/

edatoakrun said:
Expect a significant increase in the USA MPGe and gas-only highway MPG ratings after EPA test results are available: <snip>
Hwy MPG is certainly the area that many of us thought fell most short of where it should be, along with a weak engine that would require much use of the battery to maintain traffic flow speed when ascending long freeway climbs (I-80 to Tahoe, I-70 from Denver etc.). I have my doubts that they'll get it up to 35 MPG, but 30+ may be doable - it would be nice if they could match the RAV4 HEV's 32 MPG. And that would also help the somewhat anemic gas-only range, as the vehicle only has a 11.3 gal. tank, and 300 miles plus a reserve is generally what people (in this country, anyway) consider a minimum.

edatoakrun said:
...the Outlander PHEV’s pure EV range is more than enough for the average daily UK commute: An impressive 28 miles according to the new, more stringent real-world WLTP tests. The WLTP average fuel economy figure for the new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is 141mpg ...
And it remains the only PHEV sold in the USA with a CHAdeMO port, for both DC charging, AND:

...A fully-fuelled/charged Outlander PHEV has sufficient energy capacity to power a regular household for up to 10 days.

One of the attractions of MMC’s PHEV technology is that it allows drivers to use their batteries to supply DC electricity to their home, their community and the power grid. This capability opens the door to a new era of more efficient energy management.

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is already smart grid compatible and Mitsubishi Motors anticipates the gradual introduction of vehicle to home (V2H) schemes over the coming years and are already involved in demonstrator programs in various countries...
http://www.mitsubishi-media.co.uk/release/1410/
I consider this last of minimal importance for most, as you can get the same effect just by including an inverter of sufficient power to run a refrigerator and a few efficient lights, which some of Mitsubishi's competitors have done. As to CHAdeMO for the traction battery, I continue to believe that it's unnecessary in a PHEV with a battery this small - anyone in a hurry will gas and go. Boosting the L2 charger from 30 to 40A would be more useful.

GRA said:
I consider this last of minimal importance for most, as you can get the same effect just by including an inverter of sufficient power to run a refrigerator and a few efficient lights, which some of Mitsubishi's competitors have done...
IIRC the MY '18 already has two 120 volt outlets, which I assume will be carried over to the '19 MY.

Not even close to the same effect as having access to all the energy stored in the both the pack and the gas tank, at a high kWh rate, through a CHAdeMO port.

edatoakrun said:
GRA said:
I consider this last of minimal importance for most, as you can get the same effect just by including an inverter of sufficient power to run a refrigerator and a few efficient lights, which some of Mitsubishi's competitors have done...
IIRC the MY '18 already has two 120 volt outlets, which I assume will be carried over to the '19 MY.

Not even close to the same effect as having access to all the energy stored in the both the pack and the gas tank, at a high kWh rate, through a CHAdeMO port.
That may be of importance to people trying to wait out the extended aftermath of a natural disaster in the prolifigate style they're accustomed to, and It may be a selling point for some in earthquake or hurricane-prone locations like Japan, California and coastal/island areas. But for the typical short-term off-grid use you've already reduced your loads to a minimum (as noted, refrigeration and minimum lights tend to be the critical items, plus maybe phone charging which is a minimal load), and for a major natural disaster it's generally a far better use of the gas in your tank to evacuate. So, while it's a nice to have option, it's not critical.

GRA said:
edatoakrun said:
GRA said:

...while it's a nice to have option, it's not critical.
It is critical, for the millions of PG&E customers who got the same Email I did last week, and realize how dangerous, expensive, and unreliable the grid has become, and understand the asphalt grid is a superior method of connecting to supplemental electricity supplies.

Do we NEED TO dismantle the grid in the rural west?
edatoakrun said:
PG&E has been suggesting it wil begin cutting off power to rural customers during high-wind events for some time now, and I got the Email every rural resident who depends for their power supply, and their pumped water supply has been dreading:

Dear Valued Customer:

As part of our commitment to safety, we are reaching out to our customers, like you, who live in or near high wildfire-threat areas. We want to keep you and your family informed and updated of additional precautionary steps that we are taking to address the growing threat of extreme weather and wildfires, such as possible power outages. Please visit pge.com/mywildfirealerts today to update your contact information.

Taking action to keep you and your family safe
To help ensure the safety of our customers and communities we are privileged to serve, we are taking action with our Community Wildfire Safety Program. For your safety, it may be necessary for us to temporarily turn off electricity to your neighborhood or community when extreme fire danger conditions occur. We know how much you rely on reliable electric service and would only consider temporarily turning off power in the interest of safety, and as a last resort. If we need to turn off your power, we will attempt to contact you in advance to ensure you have enough time to prepare. We will also provide updates until power is restored.

What to expect if power is turned off
In the event we need to turn off your power for safety reasons, here is what you can expect:

When and where possible, early warning notification so you can prepare. Extreme weather threats can change quickly. Please make sure to update your contact information by visiting pge.com/mywildfirealerts. We will use this information to alert you via automated calls, texts, and emails.
Additional updates through social media, local news, radio, and the pge.com website.
Coordination with your local authorities to provide updated outage information.
Taking steps to prepare
We know you may have questions about how to best prepare for the threat of wildfires and the possibility that power may be turned off. To learn whether your home is in or near a high wildfire-threat area on the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) fire map, visit cpuc.ca.gov/FireThreatMaps. All customers living in these high-risk areas should prepare an emergency plan. For more information on how to keep you and your family emergency-ready and safe during an outage, please visit pge.com/wildfiresafety. You can also reach us by email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

PG&E Wildfire Safety Team
It's going to be a great feeling the first time I return home later this Summer with my pack close to the VLB, and find that PG&E has shut off the power, both to my well to fight a potential fire, and also to my EVSE to recharge my LEAF to prepare for an emergency exit.

As expected, most of last fall's fires, and those with the high death counts, have now been officially blamed on PG&E:

PG&E to blame for more wine country fires, Cal Fire says

Cal Fire on Friday blamed PG&E for 12 more of the fires that overwhelmed Northern California's wine country last October, citing the utility's power lines and poles and increasing PG&E's potential financial peril over the deadly fires.

The report came two weeks after Pacific Gas & Electric Co., which is lobbying state lawmakers for relief from financial responsibility for the fires, was blamed by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection for three other fires last October in Nevada and Butte counties.

However, Cal Fire's investigators still haven't weighed in on the deadliest of the wine country wildfires, the Tubbs Fire, which started in Calistoga and swept into Santa Rosa. The Tubbs Fire destroyed more than 5,000 homes and other buildings and killed 24 people, accounting for more than half of the 44 people killed in last October's fires.

Cal Fire has determined that most of the fires were caused by tree limbs brushing up against PG&E power lines. PG&E, however, has declined to acknowledge that it's been at fault...
http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article212856769.html
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16013#p530091

Back