- It charges at 16A instead of 10, so as fast as my on-board charger will allow
- It's lighter and smaller than the stock portable EVSE, most importantly: it now fits in the glove box!
- It's got a rubber instead of PVC cable, so much less stiff and more durable, while also being slightly smaller in diameter
- It's got thicker conductor wires (3x2.5mm2/13AWG instead of 3x1.5mm2/15AWG)
- It's just a cable with a mains plug on one end and J1772 on the other, no big 'box' in the cable
- I have full control over the design, i.e. I can change stuff if I want (and I will)
The cable is NOT SAE J1772 COMPLIANT. Let me just be up-front and clear about this. It will fail any sniff test, as the mains plug is more than 30cm from the EVSE control electronics. As I find this stipulation in the rules stupid, I ignored it. Otherwise, it complies with the entire charging standard; it has a GFI safety feature, it switches both live and neutral, the relays are rated over industrial temperature range for the full current, the EVSE electronics are galvanically isolated and the EVSE will latch off on car and EVSE errors. As the connector is not IP-rated, the electronics are conformally coated inside. I should probably pot the electronics.
I don't consider this a 'good' design yet. As you can tell from the video, fitting the board in is fine, but fitting the cables in as well is a struggle. I'm also bypassing the strain relief bracket with a generous amount of hot glue. Lastly, I have already overloaded somebody's home fuses once, as pulling 16A on a single phase maxes out our standard circuits here, and using any big consumer on that group will quickly trip a fuse. So, in a future version, I would probably want to:
- Make the electronics even smaller
- Make dedicated routing paths with fastening points for the high power cabling
- Give it a switch between 10 and 16A
- Put the LED on top, probably dual-color, bit brighter
- pot the entire thing inside
Also: I realize that this is a bit Eurocentric; this lead really only has any right to exist on 208/240V.