2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iPlug said:
We received no specific new warranty document for our 30 KWh battery just replaced under warranty
Your new car warranty on the battery covers the replacement or 1 year from replacement, whichever is longer.

That much is well known and clear. The ongoing discussion surrounds the warranty for a battery replaced outside of warranty.

iPlug said:
It would be incredible if a replacement battery restarts the 8 year/100k mile capacity warranty clock, so we should be rather skeptical without having that in writing. There have been folks on boards claiming to be people they are not. Additionally, some employees may misspeak/overspeak and endorse things not guaranteed by corporate.
Let's not keep imagining that Brian Brockman did not write that post. He did write the post and it contains Nissan's plan for the Nissan LEAF Battery Purchase Program, just as it says.

RegGuheert said:
Let's not keep imagining that Brian Brockman did not write that post. He did write the post and it contains Nissan's plan for the Nissan LEAF Battery Purchase Program, just as it says.
Absolutely. It is incumbent on the people who insist on questioning that to show otherwise, not on the rest of us to "prove" it to them. If they really want to know (and are not just trolling) then they can climb the food chain at Nissan to get the info.

RegGuheert said:
iPlug said:
It would be incredible if a replacement battery restarts the 8 year/100k mile capacity warranty clock, so we should be rather skeptical without having that in writing. There have been folks on boards claiming to be people they are not. Additionally, some employees may misspeak/overspeak and endorse things not guaranteed by corporate.

I am not been denying that at a person claiming to be Brian Brockman wrote a post was you described. If I had to bet money, I would also wager that said person is most likely authentic.

What I am most skeptical about is if that constitutes legal policy. Can you take a thread printout from mynissanleaf to a dealership as legal proof of terms for a battery replacement warranty?

If I am reading correctly what others are saying, no written, official Nissan corporate documents have surfaced to back that up. Furthermore, what may have been a goodwill gesture in the past from Nissan, if it existed, may have been temporary. Hence, the need to see it in writing on official Nissan warranty paperwork or other similar legally enforceable documents.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but am less inclined to hang a hat on it. The burden of proof is on documentation.

@iplug, you wrote
"It would be incredible if a replacement battery restarts the 8 year/100k mile capacity warranty clock, so we should be rather skeptical without having that in writing. "

That is not the case, and NO ONE thinks otherwise. Under discussion is the warranty for a battery purchased out of pocket for ~ $6k. It is 5 yrs/60k miles and has only been written about wrt the 24 kWh battery.

Please pay attention; I think this is the third time I have written this out for you.

@Sagebrush, easy there; I continue to understand that the Nissan person referenced was referring to warranty of battery replaced out of pocket. That was cleared up after the old post you just quoted of me. Since then I have posted on this thread several times, but you go back to the old post showing you have not been paying attention.

This still includes who has seen written documentation from Nissan on battery replacement after warranty and paid out of pocket. Again, it has been mentioned here several times that apparently someone from Nissan posted on these boards a few years ago that out of warranty replacement when purchased out of pocket offers the same coverage as original 24 kHh battery warranties.

But we are now talking about the 30 kWh battery (hence the title of this thread). The original capacity warranty of my 30 kWh battery is 8 year/100k miles. So the point is to figure out what warranty protections the car will have down the road. Yes, that includes what warranty coverage would be available for a replaced 30 kWh battery if that new battery is purchased out of warranty and out of pocket.

This is yet another example of car dealers pricing the car by the model year and cosmetic condition. The battery condition is not taken into account.

Insideevs.com has an article on 30kWh battery degradation. https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-30-kwh-battery-degrading-more-rapidly-than-24-kwh-pack/
Personally I have a 2013 S w/QC at 46,000+ miles that still has 12 bars of capacity but it has been located in the Portland Oregon area since new. I purchased it used and make sure to park it in the shade in the summer and only charge it to around 85% to 90% overnight. My next EV will have a active thermal management system and longer range.

^^^
Analysis of 1382 measures of battery State of Health (SoH) from 283 Nissan Leafs (“Leaf/s”), manufactured between 2011 and 2017, has detected a faster rate of decline in this measure of energy-holding capacity for 30 kWh variants.

At two years of age, the mean rate of decline of SoH of 30 kWh Leafs was 9.9% per annum (95% uncertainty interval of 8.7% to 11.1%; n = 82). This was around three times the rate of decline of 24 kWh Leafs which at two years averaged 3.1% per annum (95% uncertainty interval of 2.9% to 3.3%; n = 201).

For both variants there was evidence for an increasing rate of decline as they aged, although this was much more pronounced in the 30 kWh Leafs. Higher use of rapid DC charging was associated with a small decrease in SoH. Additionally, while 24 kWh cars with greater distances travelled showed a higher SoH, in 30 kWh cars there was a reduction in SoH observed in cars that had travelled further.

The 30 kWh Leafs sourced from United Kingdom showed slower initial decline than those from Japan, but the rate of decline was similar at two years of age. . . .

If the high rate of decline in battery capacity that we observed in the first 2.3 years of a 30 kWh Leaf’s lifetime were to continue, the financial and environmental benefits of this model may be significantly eroded. Despite 30 kWh Leafs accounting for only 14% of all light battery electric vehicles registered for use on New Zealand roads at the end of February 2018, there is also the potential for the relatively poor performance of this specific model to undermine electric vehicle uptake more generally unless remedies can be found. . . .
Lots of graphs.

9.35% per year loss for my 30 kWh Leaf S using starting and ending AHr and days owned. 13.37% total loss.

I bought the car the day it rolled off the truck partially charged and they let me use leaf spy pro to confirm a good battery.

I thought Nissan would build on the improvements they made for the 2015 24 kWh battery to make the 30 kWh battery even better.

Haven't lost a bar yet so as Bill Murray said, "I've got that going for me."

Good morning all. I know you guys collect data for these things so I’ll put in my observations. Our 2016 SV just turned two years old. I haven’t done a full charge for awhile so I thought I would do one last night. It is 4 degrees celcius so not sure how that effects the results but a full charge this morning is 175 km range. This time last year in similar conditions was 184 km and when we got it was close to 190 so looks like some degradation but not too bad. Still 12 bars but get the impression from this thread that the first bar will probably go this year. Because of the kind of commuting we do the guess-o-meter is actually pretty accurate for us. I do notice the range comes up a bit when the temps come up. Maybe 10 km ish. Overall we love the car and have had no problems. Nissan called us last week to come in for its first service. Last year they just did a free tire rotation. For what it’s worth I would consider this a cooler climate except for three months of summer where days routinely hit 38 C. We do about 6 to 10 fast charges per year. Mostly level 1 and 2 charging at home. I have to keep the car around 70 percent because of unexpected road trips so i keep it at 60 to 80 percent a lot. Low mileage. 10 k ish. 3 months of the winter the car is not driven and sits at 60 percent. This year during that entire three months it lost 2 percent of charge.

I enjoy reading this forum. A lot of folks here with a lot of leaf knowledge. Hope this non technical info is useful.

John.

Wiredantz said:
Just report in:

Bought my 30KW leaf Nov, 2015.
Just lose my Second bar, at 17,025miles.

28 months of ownership 2 bars loss.
Hashtag FFS!!! In order for your data to be even remotely useful, you need to provide more background information. You don't even hint at what color your LEAF is!

By way of comparison, I bought my 30kWh LEAF in mid-December of 2015, have driven it 18200 miles, and have negligible degradation (no bars dropped, and about the same 100% GOM range as I recall when new). It's white.

Just ordered leaf spy... Driving a Nissan Pearl Blue in los angeles bought it with 3 miles on it Late Nov 2015....

have driven my nissan leaf From los angeles to North tahoe.. to San Francisco..... and back home to los angeles... Just once

just ordered my leaf spy adapter so will be able to get you more information...

Just lost my second bar yesterday, lost my first bar at 18 months

280 GIDS 76.7%
21.7kwh Remain SOC 977%

Back