Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This appears to be coming to a close without a conclusion on what caused the problem.

Since my last post there has been someone from Nissan (Tennessee) here working with the dealer technician. I assumed all this time they were trying to figure out what happened so they could place blame. But apparently that was not in their scope of work at all. Instead they were trying to get the car to run so they could return to me a car with a likely fried electrical system and persistent problems.

The tech told me they replaced the ECM. Twice. And neither worked. So they decided it might be the "Brake Control Module" (no comment from me here). But they couldn't get one to try. They don't know how long it will take to get one.

Well, to make a long story less long, today Nissan finally agreed to give a replacement car. The Nissan rep says I will get a call from the dealer to arrange a suitable replacement.

So, hopefully I will be in a new Leaf soon and this ordeal will be behind me.

Unfortunately, I expect we will never know why or how this happened. Hopefully it was a fluke and not a problem with the new model Leaf.

Mike04 said:
Well, to make a long story less long, today Nissan finally agreed to give a replacement car.
Good for Nissan. I'm glad to hear I was wrong; I expected them to stonewall you by blaming the other parties.

I just saw this and read through all the posts. Interesting.

As an FYI, I have a 2017 Leaf and have no problem using my local EVGO or Blink ChaDeMo; however, there is one local Greenlots ChaDeMo Unit (equipment made by “Signet”) that initially I had no problem with. It charged fine the first couple times. Later on when I tried to charge my Leaf, the unit would start ramping up then cut out and stop as the Amps reached a little over 70 Amps. Has not work properly since. I have contacted Greenlots, but have not had a satisfactory resolution.

Related to the OP’s Greenlots Signet ChaDeMo Unit, it would be interesting to see their maintenance records. If they had just done some work on it. Seems like Nissan would be investigating those details.

SageBrush said:
Mike04 said:
Well, to make a long story less long, today Nissan finally agreed to give a replacement car.
Good for Nissan. I'm glad to hear I was wrong; I expected them to stonewall you by blaming the other parties.

Well, when I saw this was headed nowhere I called my insurance company. The insurance rep said that it probably would not be covered by my insurance. And she said that although she is not allowed to gove legal advise she suggests I talk to a lawyer and she ran through some talking points about why they owe me a car. Very nice and smart woman.

I called the sales guy at the dealer and told him that I thought I should talk to him before calling my lawyer. He told me to let him talk to the Regional Sales Manager first and I would hear from him tomorrow.

Next morning I got a call from Nissan offering three choices - Replacement car, refund my money, or $2500 to wait for them to fix my car and return it to me. I told them to replace the car.

So, we don't know if it was the threat of the lawyer or just coincidence. The sales guy said he called the Regional Manager and does not know anything else about it.

Glad to hear they are acting responsibly and they aren't dragging their feet on it for a long time. Now hopefully it doesn't take them too long to actually deliver the replacement to you.

I'm quite surprised that Nissan is making you whole. I thought for sure it would end up being a finger pointing blame game for which you would end up the victim. Glad to hear that this is working out so well.

Do Teslas ever have this sort of problem? While the home thingy is just a pass through the high power thingy sets the stage for finger pointing if it and the car are made by different companies, since either can damage the other.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Do Teslas ever have this sort of problem? While the home thingy is just a pass through the high power thingy sets the stage for finger pointing if it and the car are made by different companies, since either can damage the other.

I saw a Tesla (using CHADEMO adapter) that would not charge at an EVgo unit made by ABB. After the Tesla driver gave up, my 2015 Leaf charged without incident.

I am really glad that OP will be getting a new car. I hope there is some explanation from Nissan or Greenlots to close this issue.

GerryAZ said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

I saw a Tesla (using CHADEMO adapter) that would not charge at an EVgo unit made by ABB. After the Tesla driver gave up, my 2015 Leaf charged without incident.
What model of Tesla? AFAIK, CHAdeMO isn't working yet on the Model 3. Per https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/anyone-tested-chademo-adapter-on-model-3.104109/page-3, that still seems to be the case.

Should work ok on an S or an X. Older S without Supercharger access probably need an update, as https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x-chademo-adapter.html?sku=1036392-10-D points out.

I was thinking about Teslas at superchargers but that raises another question for me, with this chademo adapter is there a potential (no pun) for a Tesla to blow up a chademo station or vice versa if something goes wrong?

cwerdna said:
GerryAZ said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

What model of Tesla? AFAIK, CHAdeMO isn't working yet on the Model 3. Per https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/anyone-tested-chademo-adapter-on-model-3.104109/page-3, that still seems to be the case.

Should work ok on an S or an X. Older S without Supercharger access probably need an update, as https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x-chademo-adapter.html?sku=1036392-10-D points out.

It was a Model S. The driver was clearly familiar with the adapter and had used it before. I don't know the issue, but suspect a communication issue between car and charger.

Beginning to think its borderline Nissan engineering weeding out any station that is not "perfecting in line with Chademo standards. AV still not working but I have had 2 EVGO sessions stop early on me. one only ran 4 mins.

Had 2 Blink sessions not start and one yesterday was the 2nd charge (after the test) after maintenance was done on the machine!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Beginning to think its borderline Nissan engineering weeding out any station that is not "perfecting in line with Chademo standards. AV still not working but I have had 2 EVGO sessions stop early on me. one only ran 4 mins.

Had 2 Blink sessions not start and one yesterday was the 2nd charge (after the test) after maintenance was done on the machine!

Have you contacted Nissan about this? Or taken it back to the dealer for a check?

Mike04 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Have you contacted Nissan about this? Or taken it back to the dealer for a check?

To check what? That the DCFC charges on their station cause it does. The random connection issues did not start with the 2018's but the incidence rate seems to have increased. Random acts like that? Waste of time taking to dealer. Unless you can reproduce the issue on demand, they won't do anything.

For all I know, the machines I was using could be at fault or getting ready to break...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Mike04 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

To check what? That the DCFC charges on their station cause it does. The random connection issues did not start with the 2018's but the incidence rate seems to have increased. Random acts like that? Waste of time taking to dealer. Unless you can reproduce the issue on demand, they won't do anything.

For all I know, the machines I was using could be at fault or getting ready to break...

True.
I would take it back anyway and let them tell me they didn't find anything wrong. But that's just me. I expect I would be wasting time, but at least they would have a record of the complaint. If it is a common problem and everyone complains they might get motivated to do something.

See videos below if you haven't yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkfKKGgsU-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOgqM8iBtPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRW7Hh8lkk

DaveinOlyWA said:
I have called and done chat with Nissan over the Aerovironment compatibility issue... It was not pretty
Hi Dave,
Do we need to organize a DO NOT BUY NISSAN campaign until Nissan figures out how to make the 2018 Charge at least as good as the 2016?

Danl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I have called and done chat with Nissan over the Aerovironment compatibility issue... It was not pretty
Hi Dave,
Do we need to organize a DO NOT BUY NISSAN campaign until Nissan figures out how to make the 2018 Charge at least as good as the 2016?

Good idea. Nissan need to do something here.

Back