Good Will Program over--Lost 4th bar 10 days after warranty expired, Nissan: 'too bad'

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed....who wants a refurbished cell battery pack for 3k? Not I....I'd rather just live with the limited range. Charge at work, charge at home...I am good.

I would imagine with battery technology constantly accelerating, a third party battery company will make battery replacements much more affordable soon. Early adopters and the amount of older Leafs on the road may not have the volume to make this happen yet.

It looks like the Nissan 30 kwh battery packs are degrading faster than the 24 kwh packs. Nissan will need to work out the kinks in their engineering....

https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-30-kwh-battery-degrading-more-rapidly-than-24-kwh-pack/

Rktennis said:
Evoforce said:
Rktennis said:
I hope they bring this to the US soon...I’ll be needing a replacement in 1 to 2 years!

No... because you should want a new battery not a used rebuilt battery.

Yeah, after reading more into it, maybe it's not as exciting as I hoped. But, it may work for my needs. I'd rather spend 3k on a replacement even if it will last half as long as a new battery @6k.
I very much doubt that the refurb pack will last half as long as a new one, and I willing to place a bet that the warranty will not be anywhere near that long. The real value of the new pack is 5y/60k warranty (presuming it is still in effect.)

But regarding coming up with $6k, Nissan has a payment plan that I think works out to ~ $100 a month. Something to consider.

SageBrush said:
Rktennis said:
Evoforce said:
No... because you should want a new battery not a used rebuilt battery.

Yeah, after reading more into it, maybe it's not as exciting as I hoped. But, it may work for my needs. I'd rather spend 3k on a replacement even if it will last half as long as a new battery @6k.
I very much doubt that the refurb pack will last half as long as a new one, and I willing to place a bet that the warranty will not be anywhere near that long. The real value of the new pack is 5y/60k warranty (presuming it is still in effect.)

But regarding coming up with $6k, Nissan has a payment plan that I think works out to ~ $100 a month. Something to consider.

All valid points...I'm more worried about getting the car totaled after shelling out 6k...I'm sure my insurance company wouldn't cover the value. What happens if I'm paying 100/mo on the payment plan and something happens.? Do i have to pay the remaining balance in full? I'm good for now, but by next year my Leaf won't be able to have enough juice for my daily commute.

The refurbished pack is $2,800. Even though it is refurbished, this might be something to consider. It will be interesting on what warranty is given. With the 30 kwh degredation numbers, the 30 kwh battery pack might be a pack to avoid....

Check out the comments at the end this article. Good information from other Leaf owners. I am glad my old 24 kwh pack isn't degrading as much as the newer packs...

https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-30-kw ... -kwh-pack/

Rktennis said:
SageBrush said:
Rktennis said:

All valid points...I'm more worried about getting the car totaled after shelling out 6k...I'm sure my insurance company wouldn't cover the value. What happens if I'm paying 100/mo on the payment plan and something happens.? Do i have to pay the remaining balance in full? I'm good for now, but by next year my Leaf won't be able to have enough juice for my daily commute.
You would have to pay the balance.
Do you remember that famous line from the mafia movie "Godfather" that you can insure anything ? :D
I presume *someone* is willing to provide more gap insurance for the right monthly payment.

Over the weekend I noticed my 4th bar drop. I needed that to happen three months ago! I will send the numbers once I plug the Leaf Spy in if that helps any of the members.

Good luck all that are close to the 4th bar drop before the warranty period expires.

I wonder if calling Nissan customer service will do any good as the warranty period is up in my case. I bet they just laugh in my face...

SeasonsAfter said:
I wonder if calling Nissan customer service will do any good as the warranty period is up in my case. I bet they just laugh in my face...

Laugh in your face and tell you their new pricing of $8,500 for a new battery instead of $5,000-$6,000 like it used to be.

SeasonsAfter said:
Over the weekend I noticed my 4th bar drop. I needed that to happen three months ago! I will send the numbers once I plug the Leaf Spy in if that helps any of the members.

Good luck all that are close to the 4th bar drop before the warranty period expires.

Call customer service--you have nothing to lose. As far as insurance is concerned if you spend the money for a new battery--look in to a declared value policy. In my case, the 2011 was totaled a little over a year after the battery was replaced. Since the crash was not my fault, I was able to argue with the other driver's insurance company to get at least some reimbursement above the book value by arguing that it was worth mor than others in my climate because the battery had been replaced.

GerryAZ said:
As far as insurance is concerned if you spend the money for a new battery--look in to a declared value policy. In my case, the 2011 was totaled a little over a year after the battery was replaced. Since the crash was not my fault, I was able to argue with the other driver's insurance company to get at least some reimbursement above the book value by arguing that it was worth mor than others in my climate because the battery had been replaced.
I had never heard about a 'declared value policy,' but why not. As I said earlier, if you pay enough, someone will offer insurance.

However, am I correct in saying that it is only relevant to comp/collision claims ?

SageBrush said:
I had never heard about a 'declared value policy,' but why not. As I said earlier, if you pay enough, someone will offer insurance.

However, am I correct in saying that it is only relevant to comp/collision claims ?
I've looked into that kind of insurance for my Classic Beetle (another car I want to sell this summer). A car like that can be worth anywhere from $100 to $25,000. I knew of a guy that put a lot of money into restoring his Beetle and then got clobbered by a pickup at an intersection. He survived, but the car was declared totaled and the insurance offered him only $600 for it. With a declared value policy he could have got what he thought the car was worth or even have had it repaired at a body shop.

Back