Chademo killed my new 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I have called and done chat with Nissan over the Aerovironment compatibility issue... It was not pretty
Hi Dave,
Do we need to organize a DO NOT BUY NISSAN campaign until Nissan figures out how to make the 2018 Charge at least as good as the 2016?

That won't work. The issue is only affecting 2 states at this point. The sales are going to be VERY good for Nissan. AFAIK, both parties are aware of the issue and I have to think that they will come to an agreement of sorts in their normally slow way.

borugee said:
Danl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I have called and done chat with Nissan over the Aerovironment compatibility issue... It was not pretty
Hi Dave,
Do we need to organize a DO NOT BUY NISSAN campaign until Nissan figures out how to make the 2018 Charge at least as good as the 2016?

Good idea. Nissan need to do something here.

I don't know. I think this problem is not likely to affect many of us who don't take long trips. I think the car is great in so many other ways that this issue is probably not a deal breaker for most people. At least here on the East Coast where distances tend to be short and L2 chargers available. I drive about a hundred miles a day and can live comfortably with 4 to 9 hour charges when I park my car at work or at home.

That is as long as the issue is not damaging cars and my problem was really a fluke. If cars are being damaged by charging, then there should definitely be a DO NOT BUY campaign.

But I do believe everyone should be aware of DCFC issues before they buy the car. An education campaign, rather than a do not buy, might be more appropriate here.

Yes, Mike04 I too think that the "issue" needs to be clarified. The 2018 owners manual gives us a good idea of why Nissan set up the car to cripple Chademo if the battery was too hot. For most people it doesn't matter. For the group that may need two or three Chademo charges per day, it's probably not a good fit. However, we'll see as Dave gets used to using his.

So I think there's two issues. One is whether or not there is some interface issue with some Chademo chargers or was Mike's a one off.

The other is whether or not Nissan made a wise decision with the 2018 battery protection protocol.

I don't know. I think this problem is not likely to affect many of us who don't take long trips. I think the car is great in so many other ways that this issue is probably not a deal breaker for most people. At least here on the East Coast where distances tend to be short and L2 chargers available. I drive about a hundred miles a day and can live comfortably with 4 to 9 hour charges when I park my car at work or at home.

That is as long as the issue is not damaging cars and my problem was really a fluke. If cars are being damaged by charging, then there should definitely be a DO NOT BUY campaign.

The larger issue is what this QC throttling says about the battery pack. Either Nissan has suddenly become super cautious (while remaining super cheap) or the pack has serious issues with heat damage. Given what we know about the very similar 30kwh packs, the likeliest scenario is that the 40kwh pack is either just as bad, or even worse, and Nissan is hoping that people won't get out the torches and pitchforks over losing 30%+ capacity over three years. Maybe the current Upper Management crowd is two years from retirement, or better jobs...

I think they just know they are locked into issues until they get a properly cooled pack, until they the LEAF will remain crippled for longer trips and have capacity issues.

EVDRIVER said:
I think they just know they are locked into issues until they get a properly cooled pack, until they the LEAF will remain crippled for longer trips and have capacity issues.

The Leaf is a commuter car. Designed for minimum fuss, bother and cost for an electric commute, and family around town. Reliable.

Want to pay more and get a road trip car? Go ahead, pick a different car. Want a car with a faster 0-60 time? Go ahead, pick a different car. Need a car with space for more people? Go ahead, find a different one. Rear wheel drive? All wheel drive? I'm OK with the limits of the Leaf. Other people are not, fine.

I hope that the range of electric car choices expands rather than contracts. I'm happy the Leaf doesn't have a TMS, as for commuting the battery pack is properly cooled most places. Less weight, bother, energy use. Yes, the Leaf is not properly cooled for road trips, especially in the summer. For me, these have been fairly rare. My battery has been above the temperature that a TMS would set as the high limit only a few days.

Every design has trade-offs. A TMS adds cost, weight, energy use, reduces reliability, and probably gives me (and other people in cool climates) a shorter battery life with the same battery chemistry. No thanks.

As more electric car models come on the market, you will hopefully have a choice that fits your needs better. I hope I don't lose choices.

New LEAF might be considered a commuter car on steroids. I did what "could" have been 250 miles without a significant QC slowdown.

I actually only went 180 miles and did 3 QC's. 2 fast ones, and one slow one. The two fast ones were 2 hours and 2 minutes apart, the slow one started at 72% SOC batt temps 114º and 15 mins after the end of 2nd QC.

Got home with 105 miles of range left but started that morning at 60% SOC and because it was enough to go the 82.3 miles I needed to get to QC #1.

This I can live with.

I keep coming back to this thread, thinking the OP has an update, but instead the conversation seems to have wandered into DCQC heat issues. There are several threads on that already...

Hope you guys don't mind moving the conversation to one of those threads, as the OP has resolved his issue - just makes things easier. Thanks!

WetEV said:
Every design has trade-offs. A TMS ... ... probably gives me (and other people in cool climates) a shorter battery life with the same battery chemistry.
That is far fetched.

I agree with the rest of your post.

(To resurrect an old thread)
In case the listing and/or pics go away (and since this new SW allows everyone to attach pics), here are pics of the Signet DC FC from Plugshare from 2016.

Since the OP, it seems Signet or rather SK Signet has moved on to much bigger (and better?) things as their units (of a totally different style) are in wide use on Electrify America. Bank of America | San Jose, CA | EV Station has an example of Signet "v2". Shell Firebaugh | Firebaugh, CA | EV Station has a mix of Signet "v1" and "v2".

Walmart 2458 - Salinas, CA | Salinas, CA | EV Station has 3 "next gen" dispensers from SK Signet. IIRC, for EA's next gen units (CCS only), the dispensers can be from BTC Power (example at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...eneral-discussion.249553/page-22#post-6867023) or SK Signet. I don't recall if the chargers (usually behind a fence) come from one of them or both.

Attachments

• 142525.jpg
    142525.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 94987.jpg
    94987.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 0
Back