2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finman100 said:
you really want to DC fast charge a non-TMS battery pack? More than 3 times in a row?...
I wouldn't worry about the pack, but I would worry about the mental condition of anyone wanting to regularly drive close to 1,000 miles nonstop...

JejuSoul said:
edatoakrun said:
[A reliable commentator on the Kia forum has posted some un-sourced details on the 2019 "60 kWh" LEAF pack...
Sorry. My comments about the future Nissan Leaf are not reliable...
In that case, I'm back to my earlier suppositions:

edatoakrun said:
Stanton said:
There will never be a TMS in a car with the name Leaf.
Probably not, fortunately.

Stanton said:
Per my post earlier in this thread, the 60 kWh battery pack will be made by LG Chem (available sometime in 2019).
Possibly, but more likely (IMO) the 2019 LEAF "60 kWh" packs, like all other 2013-on USA-made LEAF packs, will come from the (former) AESC factory at Smyrna, Tennessee, though it may license the same technology LG does, and so be quite similar in terms of design and performance.

This will bring range over 200 of course, but Nissan should already have this an an option, in 2018. The problem they'll face is once the $5k+ cost premium is built in, it's no longer the cheap EV. It will directly compete in cost against the Bolt and the Model 3.

GetOffYourGas said:
My speculation is that the B olt / N iro / Kona EVs all use the same battery, purchased as a unit from LG Chem. Kia simply chooses to advertise "total" capacity whereas Chevy advertises "usable". The fact that Kia claims identical range to the B olt is telling.
No. The K ia N iro EV will use SK Innovation battery cells. Kia has always used usable capacity in the past.
The marketing fluff we are seeing about '64kWh' and 238km range should probably be ignored for now.

JejuSoul said:
GetOffYourGas said:
My speculation is that the B olt / N iro / Kona EVs all use the same battery, purchased as a unit from LG Chem. Kia simply chooses to advertise "total" capacity whereas Chevy advertises "usable". The fact that Kia claims identical range to the B olt is telling.
No. The K ia N iro EV will use SK Innovation battery cells. Kia has always used usable capacity in the past.
The marketing fluff we are seeing about '64kWh' and 238km range should probably be ignored for now.

The Bolt EV has 57kWh usable capacity

Bolt EV

LG-Chem cells
3.7 volts nominal
288 total cells
96 series * 3 parallel
171.4ah per EPA filing

60kWh = 288 cells * (171.4 published AmpHour * 3.7 volt nominal per cell)

400 volt maximum (plus or minus 5 volts)

57kWh usable when new at room temperature

https://electrek.co/2018/02/16/new-nissan-leaf-spotted-testing-alongside-nismo-note-e-power/

While looking for Nissan ebio ethanol fuel cell updates I found the next small tidbit

Nissan is teasing on Twitter that the 2019 Leaf maybe announced tomorrow.

https://insideevs.com/nissan-teases-something-with-nissanleaf-reveal-tomorrow/

kmartyn said:

Alas, no such thing happened. I was very disappointed by their "announcement".

kmartyn said:

Nissan loves to make everything seem new and cutting edge, like Carwings. This is just an ad push to try and get more sales before they start doing big discounting later this year as they usually do.

Canadian dealers are now sending out email notices that Leaf 2018 model is sold out, and that the 2019 model year will be $800-900 more.
I cannot see how they would be able to get 60KWH with TMS, faster charging and a bigger motor in there for that price.

kmartyn said:
Canadian dealers are now sending out email notices that Leaf 2018 model is sold out, and that the 2019 model year will be $800-900 more.
I cannot see how they would be able to get 60KWH with TMS, faster charging and a bigger motor in there for that price.

They can't and they won't. Didn't you hear, the 2019 Canada models are all the 2018 US models they could not sell, the $900 is the additional freight to ship them.

kmartyn said:

Can't imagine how dealers would get that info since it didn't come from Corporate...

Good thing they'll need those extra "plus" miles so when the battery degrades in the first 6mo you'll be back down to the normal Leaf! :lol:

Email from a large Toronto area Nissan dealer:

“The information we got is that the 2019 Leaf will have an option for the 60KW battery.
The 2019 Leaf will start coming in Nov/Dec, however the 60KW option won't be arriving until Feb/Mar of next year.

We are starting to take Pre-orders for the 2019 Nissan Leaf.
If you are interested, please let me know.”

I should also note that Canadian dealers now have 2019 Leaf price sheets from head office. However they do not currently list the larger battery option.

It appears that there are no more 2018 Model Leafs available in Canada for new orders, but that the U.S still has inventory, so the 2019 launch maybe delayed there.
Time will tell.

EVDRIVER said:
kmartyn said:

They can't and they won't. Didn't you hear, the 2019 Canada models are all the 2018 US models they could not sell, the $900 is the additional freight to ship them.

:D That would be a good idea, but the option packages are different in Canada.

:
JasonA said:
Good thing they'll need those extra "plus" miles so when the battery degrades in the first 6mo you'll be back down to the normal Leaf! :lol:

:?: TMS :?:

kmartyn said:
:
JasonA said:

:?: TMS :?:
Hopes and dreams... hopes and dreams...

Plus if its true, it would be their (1st gen TMS) so we don't know how it will be (air cooled :lol: ) etc...

I'm fine playing the safe bet with my 2 Tesla's and a Rav4EV for now... That CHAdeMO DFQC network isn't looking so hot across the USA. Tesla added like a BAZZILLION new SpC stations here locally in the last 5 months..

I think there was like 5 new combo stations total around here... so my $$$ is on Tesla still...

First image of new 2019 60kW + Nissan Leaf released on twitter in June. A twitter account belonging to a European company associated with producing charging stations put up a picture of a Leaf fast charging at 102kW.
Twitter link: https://twitter.com/EVTECfastcharge/status/1009468646765350913
A number of EV websites have started covering it but the main one is electric.com.
Here's the link to their article: https://electrek.co/2018/07/06/nissan-leaf-prototype-new-battery-pack-leaked-fast-charging/
Some European websites/forums are talking about the larger battery car being available late this year for delivery but they give no evidence only "they've heard" so I won't link that here.

I think it's coming sooner then people realise.

geefish said:
I think it's coming sooner then people realise.

It's already far later than most people hoped. I was excited about this Leaf, but I've moved on. Nissan really needs to get it out there this fall if they want to stay in the game.

Back