pre-release testers wanted - range-extending technology for Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cmwade77 said:
This looks interesting and while it looks like I missed out on the discount, I am going to consider buying it.

Can anyone tell me how much this has increased their range? I have a 2013 Leaf and I am currently getting about 4.6 miles per kwh on a new battery that I got last week.

Hi cmwade77,

The most recent reporting was by @GetOffYourGas a couple pages earlier in this (very long) thread. Here's what he reported:

GetOffYourGas said:
Sorry I didn't post my results sooner. I wanted to follow my testing with a few hundred miles of driving without the PedalLogic unit so I could control my usage to be as similar as possible.

The unit has three modes, each progressively more aggressive. Here are my numbers after 800+ miles in each mode:

baseline (no PedalLogic) - 3.3 miles / kWh
Mode 1 - 3.5 miles/kWh
Mode 2 - 3.4 miles/kWh
Mode 3 - 3.7 miles/kWh

All modes performed better than stock. Mode 3 saw about a 12% improvement from stock (the quote above was relative to Mode 2, which was the least efficient mode, but still better than stock). My driving was as consistent as possible through each mode's test. Temperatures were similar and I always had the climate running with slight A/C (never heat). The efficiency numbers settled into a very consistent value, which gave me a high confidence in them.

I also found that the unit made it easier to drive efficiently when desired. It definitely works as advertised, smoothing out the bumps.

We've continued to improve the software since the test units were released and recently began incorporating five driving modes. Because there is so much variation in drivers, vehicles, and terrain, we tend to be slightly conservative in our claims, but I feel safe stating that most drivers see a 5-8% gain in range—and some even more.

Marc

PedalLogic said:
Pretty awesome collection you have there. Are there twins or triplets in that group?
Yes. The last two to get their learner's permits are boy/girl twins. The girl twin took out a one-month-old Ecopia tire on Sunday. "That pothole didn't look too deep." :roll: The "Low tire pressure" light was one mile later and the tire was completely flat in another one-half mile. Fortunately the car was in the driveway at that point.
PedalLogic said:
I imagine that you and their mom know quite a bit about playing a zone defense.
Yep. We've had five teenagers since the middle of July. All five are home right now, but one turns 20 at the end of January. Fun times!
PedalLogic said:
Regarding the 90% threshold, maybe it makes sense to take it out of that mode? Would it help or hurt in your opinion?
I think it needs to be in there for safety purposes. I'm wondering if it could be tapered in over a range of, say, 80% to 90% throttle position so that it is not such a shock.

RegGuheert said:
PedalLogic said:
Regarding the 90% threshold, maybe it makes sense to take it out of that mode? Would it help or hurt in your opinion?
I think it needs to be in there for safety purposes. I'm wondering if it could be tapered in over a range of, say, 80% to 90% throttle position so that it is not such a shock.
It actually does taper, but in reading your suggestion, I realize that we need to increase the length of the tapering depending on the mode, or at least much more so to deal with the extreme mode 6.

As stated, the goal of this pedal is achieved by using the Eco setting and your cruise control.
The pedal sounds pretty gimmicky.

Tsiah said:
As stated, the goal of this pedal is achieved by using the Eco setting and your cruise control.
The pedal sounds pretty gimmicky.
Hi Tsiah,

I understand this is the Internet, but please do a bit of research and learn about a topic before sharing your opinion. For the record, your statement above is factually untrue.

Marc

Back