First wash - (small) paint blems and (potential) rust traps.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really good closeup picture!

Are there many other tiny black "spheres" closer to the rubber gasket?

Possibly hot sparks from a ginder?

In any case, make the Nissan Task Force aware of this, so they can get the process QC back to the factory, to impove their build quality.

Do others see any similar problem?

That's pretty weird. If you're worried about the spots getting bigger or the metal underneath rusting, one trick is to put a little clear nail polish over it to seal it up. That way you don't have to worry about color matching, which might make th espot even more conspicuous if the color is wrong!

=Smidge=

garygid said:
Really good closeup picture!

Considering the aforementioned lunchtime glass of wine, I'm inclined to agree with you.

garygid said:
Are there many other tiny black "spheres" closer to the rubber gasket?

Nope, just the four.

garygid said:
Do others see any similar problem?

Somebody told me privately of a problem with their paint that sounded like Die Back (where solvents don't get a chance to properly evaporate and get into the finish coat surface). But I can't say who it was to protect their privacy, since they clearly aren't going to post about the problem here themselves.

I think this should be in a different thread, but ...

Would the water/snow/salt "trap" be better with a drain hole drilled there?

From the "folded" edge, this appears to be metal, not plastic.
Is it aluminium by any chance?

garygid said:
I think this should be in a different thread, but ...

Would the water/snow/salt "trap" be better with a drain hole drilled there?

I don't think so. I would just be sure to blast it with the hose with every wash, and maybe attack any caked mud with a flat bladed screwdriver first.

Most cars would have plastic or fabric splash guards encompassing the entire wheel well on each corner. For some reason, Nissan has them for the entire well on the front wheels, and behind the rear wheels, but not for this area.

mwalsh said:
I don't feel bad for washing my own cars - I can get 2 done out of one bucket of water and one measure of the car washing soap.

If one lives in an "arctic" state (Minnesota) the luxury of washing your own car in the driveway is limited to about 7 months out of each year.

Tons of touchless car washes out here and they do a booming business in the winter. We tend to get nuisance light snowfall (1-3") several times a week during the winter months and the road crews promptly plow and dump corrosive chemicals on the roads so people can continue to drive 70mph. The local joke is the deer in the winter will come up to lick the salt off the sides of our cars.

garygid said:
In any case, make the Nissan Task Force aware of this, so they can get the process QC back to the factory, to impove their build quality.
Indeed, please do! Then hopefully they'll improve the build quality for those of us who are stuck having to wait a few more months to get our cars! :D

Funny this got bumped because yesterday I washed AND waxed. Found a couple more paint blems - one more (smaller) pin hole on the rear hatch, so that's 5 back there now; a piece of something stuck underneath the paint on the right "C" pillar; a tiny nick in the paint on the front bumper (which I conceed could already be a stone chip); and small scratches around edges of both tail lamps towards the bottom - the person handling the tail lamp installs must be really ham-fisted!

BTW, when waxing your car...DON'T WAX the glossy black plastic insert between the hood and the windshield. Unfortunately I did and mine now has a weird "sparkly" look because the wax has emphasized a sort of a white flecking embedded in the plastic. I think I'm going to have to hit mine with something else, maybe a black wax.

mwalsh said:
BTW, when waxing your car...DON'T WAX the glossy black plastic insert between the hood and the windshield. Unfortunately I did and mine now has a weird "sparkly" look because the wax has emphasized a sort of a white flecking embedded in the plastic. I think I'm going to have to hit mine with something else, maybe a black wax.
You might try some Black Again trim retorer: http://www.properautocare.com/blacagextrim.html

ttweed said:
You might try some Black Again trim retorer: http://www.properautocare.com/blacagextrim.html

I tried some Mother's Back to Black, but it didn't seem to help - I've probably got to use dishwashing soap to strip the wax off first, and I haven't done that yet. It'll clearly have to wait until the next time I detail, but I've got a few things I can try.

The look isn't too terribly obnoxious, but I definitely should have known better.

Back