Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, I’m looking at a 2018 SV with tech package. I’ve got the dealer down to 35,800 out the door so, minus taxes and licensing (California), it’s about 32,800 purchase price does this sound like the best I can get?

JMun said:
Hello all, I’m looking at a 2018 SV with tech package. I’ve got the dealer down to 35,800 out the door so, minus taxes and licensing (California), it’s about 32,800 purchase price does this sound like the best I can get?

sounds good to me. what is price after incentives?

compare it to a gasser for the same price... I am guessing it won't be much of a contest.

:D That’s with the incentives figured in but it’s about $1000 better than a quote from a different sales person. The weird thing is some of them claim there’s a $1000 incentive and others say it’s only for a lease. The only reliable incentive has been 0% for 72 months.

Trying to get them down to 34,800 out the door and throw in some all weather mats

JMun said:
:D That’s with the incentives figured in but it’s about $1000 better than a quote from a different sales person. The weird thing is some of them claim there’s a $1000 incentive and others say it’s only for a lease. The only reliable incentive has been 0% for 72 months.

Trying to get them down to 34,800 out the door and throw in some all weather mats
Yikes! I paid $6,000 for my used 2013 Leaf last year and ended up getting a replacement battery, so this is a massive price difference.

Yeah, whiletax credits etc exist you’ll find an instant drop in value of about $10,000 or more. Then, because the range of 1st gen leafs was so bad they likely plummeted even more. Not that they’re bad cars per se but a lot of people won’t want such a short range car. I know my round trip commute was 80 miles/day so I could never go for an older leaf.

With 150 mile range and propilot assist there have been some major upgrades to the 2018 Leaf (not to mention it’s way better looking). So, with taxes/rebates taken into account it ended up costing me about 25k for a new car with nearly double the range and auto pilot as the used 2013 leaf that cost 6k + another 4-6k for a new battery. Seems about right.

It looks like Nissan has added some end of month incentives, as my existing deal just got better by what looks like $1200. Check with your local dealership.

IMG_20180428_091307629_HDR.jpg

cmwade77 said:
JMun said:

Yikes! I paid $6,000 for my used 2013 Leaf last year and ended up getting a replacement battery, so this is a massive price difference.
You won the lottery. Your 'deal' is quite unusual and can end poorly.

JMun said:
I know my round trip commute was 80 miles/day so I could never go for an older leaf.
That would be 150 EPA miles in the 2018 LEAF
If you live in a climate with winter roads or strong winds, on some days you may find you have 120 miles of range, perhaps less if you expect to drive in a nicely warm cabin.
Want to have a few kWh left in the battery each day to avoid range anxiety and even faster battery degradation ? Now you have 100 -110 miles range.

Nissan warrants the pack to have at least ~ 63% of new capacity.
Now you are down to ~ 63 - 70 miles range.

For your sake I hope you live in a temperate climate or your workplace or somewhere nearby gives you a charge solution when needed.

For your sake I hope you live in a temperate climate or your workplace or somewhere nearby gives you a charge solution when needed.

I live in so cal and get free level 1 charging at work. Employer has a project to install 24 level 2 chargers that will be free as well. But yes, a 40 mile trip at about 80 mph on eco setting does use about 50 miles of range. I definitely took into account the ability to charge at work before deciding to pickup the leaf instead of the bolt, volt, or waiting for a model 3

New to the forum. I am about to buy a certified 2017 Leaf SV with 4000 miles for. $17000 + $500 shipping to replace my 2013 Ford Escape. I'm selling the Escape for $10k, so that'll help offset the deal. Our other car is a Model X, so the Leaf will be my commuter for work, 12 miles each way. Well also use it to get groceries, etc on weekends. After 5 months and 8000 miles with the X, we are ready to go full electric. Plus I wanted a car with a warranty, as the Escape's is long gone. No more gas pumps for us. Hope this works out!

This is important: what are your range needs? Because the 30kwh 2016-2017 Leaf batteries have turned out - with a few exceptions - to be very fast-degrading. Unless you only need 50 or 60 miles of range I suggest you either get a 2015 leaf or lease (don't buy) a 2018 Leaf.

LeftieBiker said:
This is important: what are your range needs? Because the 30kwh 2016-2017 Leaf batteries have turned out - with a few exceptions - to be very fast-degrading. Unless you only need 50 or 60 miles of range I suggest you either get a 2015 leaf or lease (don't buy) a 2018 Leaf.

Battery warranted for 8 years and 100k miles.

Nissan would save money to fix whatever problem there is with the 30kWh battery. The replacements might not need replacing as fast.

Hi,

Curious why you say lease and not buy a 2018 ?

I live in WA state where sales tax exemption end this month and I'm looking to buy a 2018

LeftieBiker said:

The 2018 Leaf uses a 40kwh battery pack that is disturbingly similar to the terrible 30kwh pack: it has no active thermal management system except a battery heater, has even less passive cooling because of more tightly packed cells, and the chemistry used seems to be designed for energy density rather than thermal resistance. It will be a miracle if this pack holds up well over time, especially in hotter climates.

LeftieBiker said:
The 2018 Leaf uses a 40kwh battery pack that is disturbingly similar to the terrible 30kwh pack: it has no active thermal management system except a battery heater, has even less passive cooling because of more tightly packed cells, and the chemistry used seems to be designed for energy density rather than thermal resistance. It will be a miracle if this pack holds up well over time, especially in hotter climates.

FUD.

The small difference in cooling between the 30kWh pack and the 24kWh pack don't explain the shorter life of the 30kWh pack, and doesn't say anything useful about the likely life of the 40kWh pack.

Nissan has made a technical error of some sort with the 30kWh pack. While that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about any Nissan battery pack doing well, I'm still happier with a pack that doesn't catch fire and burn, like Teslas for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kjI08n4fg

You keep misusing the term "FUD." I'm trying to help someone not make a mistake, possibly a bad mistake, and I have no ulterior motive for doing so. You, OTOH, seem determined to encourage people to take a big chance, for no good reason.

LeftieBiker said:
You keep misusing the term "FUD." I'm trying to help someone not make a mistake, possibly a bad mistake, and I have no ulterior motive for doing so. You, OTOH, seem determined to encourage people to take a big chance, for no good reason.

Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

There are a lot of people throwing FUD for lots of reasons. You are one of them, at least in my NHO. I don't care why.

"Big mistake"? Do explain. Nissan has a battery capacity warranty for "96 months or 100,000 miles". While a car only lasting 8 years and 100,000 miles might not be great, it is not a big mistake to buy such a car.

Buying a car that catches fire, on the other hand, might be a big mistake.

131-car-fire-wide.jpg

xjk6ahisnpvqbihlav22.png

WetEV said:
LeftieBiker said:

Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

There are a lot of people throwing FUD for lots of reasons. You are one of them, at least in my NHO. I don't care why.

"Big mistake"? Do explain. Nissan has a battery capacity warranty for "96 months or 100,000 miles". While a car only lasting 8 years and 100,000 miles might not be great, it is not a big mistake to buy such a car.

Buying a car that catches fire, on the other hand, might be a big mistake.

You missed a picture:
nissan_leaf_on_fire.jpg

But you're right, it's not a mistake to get the 2018 leaf .... yet. I'm hopeful that Nissan got their battery life issues under control ... maybe being a bit naive, but let's wait and see until after the summer.

Buying a Leaf with an EPA range of 150 miles because you need most of that range is a big mistake, when the car is likely to lose much of it. Sure, Nissan will replace the battery when the car gets to ~90 miles EPA range, but that isn't much comfort to someone who needs 100, and it's looking like Nissan may be using 80% capacity refurbished packs in a few years - sooner for the 30kwh packs. But you know all of this, yet you continue to sing Nissan's praises. The Leaf is a good car to lease, but with the exception of some 2013-2015 cars, it is not a good car to buy. So I suggest you save the "FUD" accusations for people who are trying to gain from bad-mouthing the cars. I'm telling people it's ok to lease them if they have modest range needs. I'm giving them balanced info, and you're acting like a Nissan salescritter.

IMHO @Leftiebiker is giving out reasonable advice.

I suppose I only diverge in saying that if a person is pretty sure that the allowed lease miles and close to fully degraded (per warranty) battery in their climate (quite a mouthful) is enough range then a purchase is better value than a lease since you get about 8/3 times the use for less than 2x the price. And that presumes the worse case of the purchased car having zero value after 8 years. The arithmetic works out to the lease being 4/3 times more expensive for that case.

Not being eligible for the full federal tax credit might swing things around though, and in 8 years a lot can change in the car marketplace and one's personal situation.

---
I am bothered by our newbie education of "required range." We should be pointing out
1. Degradation
2. Climate effects on range
3. Reasonable reserve. It is just not reasonable to expect people to drive the battery down to turtle.
4. Driving habits

I use the following:
1. 40%
2. 25%
3. 10%
4. 0% (EPA type driver)

Starting from 150 mi, adequate range works out to ~ 40 miles for an owner who has no alternative charging or transportation choices.

Back