Clicking noise during acceleration and decceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aarond12 said:
I took my LEAF in a couple of months ago for some TSBs and recalls, and mentioned the clicking noise. Sure enough, there was a TSB on it, and they (IIRC) lubricated the axle and/or bearings. 5000 miles later, I'm still not experiencing the clicking noise.
Had mine done yesterday after driving with the tech demonstrating the click.
Funny I couldn't make the noise braking or accelerating in reverse or braking from neutral, but forward in any mode quite noticeable.
Car was ready in 45 minutes. now clickless !

ElectricEddy said:
aarond12 said:
I took my LEAF in a couple of months ago for some TSBs and recalls, and mentioned the clicking noise. Sure enough, there was a TSB on it, and they (IIRC) lubricated the axle and/or bearings. 5000 miles later, I'm still not experiencing the clicking noise.
Funny I couldn't make the noise braking or accelerating in reverse or braking from neutral, but forward in any mode quite noticeable.

What did they do to fix it? And how much was it?

Sandrat954 said:
ElectricEddy said:
aarond12 said:

Same lubrication as aarond12 above and n/c warranty.

My 2016 Leaf SV with 24,000 miles has been doing the same the last 4-5 months. 1 click sound accelerating and 1 click sound decelerating. I took it in and demoed it...the dealer lubricated the axle and bearings..and the problem disappeared. 2 months later, the problem has reappeared. I am still well within warranty, so am planning on taking it back soon.

:D So I took my 2015 Nissan Sentra to the service center today and they are currently as I type lubing the front end chasis! Same fix as most people in this forum. Also I was having an issue with my push start button not starting the car unless I pumped the brakes repeatedly. I thought it was the brake switch. But they are saying it's either the battery or the connection to the battery. What was happening is when my car was parked in a slope sideways, the push start wouldn't work unless I pumped the brakes and kept trying it over and over. And when it would start, my dash would reset. The radio stations would reset and the clock. Once I go back to pick it up, I'll get more info on what was did to fix this push start issue.
ElectricEddy said:
Sandrat954 said:
ElectricEddy said:

Same lubrication as aarond12 above and n/c warranty.

Randy said:
Does anyone have a TSB number for this issue?

Thanks.

Yes. I Had this done on my 2011 Leaf back in 2014 right before my 3yr/36,000 warranty expired

1) had them check a click(or clunk) noise every time I stopped and every time I accelerated after a stop. Turns out there was a Nissan Technical Bulletin (NTB 12-055b) for this. The mechanic

"Removed axels from hub assy, removed corrosion and applied molycote grease to mating surface on both sides. Reassembled with new axle nuts, cotter pins and washers. Torqued axle nut to 92 ft lbs. Could not hear same noise after."

I was hearing a clunk in the front end when backing out of my driveway. I just got it back after they fixed it under warranty per NTB14-088b. They replaced the front spring seats and a few nuts.

The bulletin affects the '13-'15 LEAF, as well as the Sentra and the Juke.

My 2015 Leaf started a clicking noise when I was at a stop and put foot on the speed pedal. I also heard it after releasing the pedal. I thought I would not be covered under warranty as I have 41k miles on a car I have owned new for 2.5 years.
But I checked this site and saw it could be covered under the 6 yr/60k drive-train warranty.
I called Nissan Customer Service to confirm re having my car greased that it would be covered. They would not confirm so I took to my local dealer.
Dealer would not confirm until they looked at it. If i decided not to fix it, then $150 inspection fee, otherwise if not covered under warranty that price will be included.
I got a call from my service advisor who said I need a new front axle and that it would be covered under warranty. I would have to bring car back as they had to order the part. I was told if I just had it greased, it would NOT be covered under warranty and have to pay about $250.
I guess I should not look at a gift horse in the mouth or however the saying goes. Funny thing, I picked up the car expecting to return the next day for the axle install and my car NO longer had the clicking noise. I guess they greased ti anyway! I could call them to say no longer noise but I know they will want me to pay the $150 diagnosis fee.
FYI for all of you out there.

Just had mine fixed this week. 2016 SV, 8k miles. Same fix as mentioned above. Wife's is going in next week for the same issue at 12k miles.

I have a 2014 Leaf S with 42,000 miles that just had NTB 12-055 done to fix the noise issue. Dealer said not covered by the powertrain warranty. They charged me 79.43 for a 1/2 hour of labor. They said it fell under the "adjustments" warranty category and that expires after 12,000 miles.

I'll do this myself if it happens again. Would anyone have a copy of the Service bulletin by chance?

Thanks!

As a follow up, I just spoke to a Nissan rep (Chris) by calling the 1-800-NOGASEV number. He said Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) are not necessarily covered under warranty. It seems this is the case with NTB 12-055 if your 3 year basic coverage is expired.

If I have the problem again, I'll do it myself and post a You-tube video of it.

Passing it along!

does anyone have access to look what needs to be greased? I have some clunky/clicky noises that seem to be getting worse as the miles rack up but are not severe enough to warrant digging in. Just trying to prepare for the inevitable.

cheers
Marko

FWIW, I found this description in another thread:

Removed axels from hub assy, removed corrosion and applied molycote grease to mating surface on both sides. Reassembled with new axle nuts, cotter pins and washers. Torqued axle nut to 92 ft lbs. Could not hear same noise after.

My 2014 started doing this. A single "tick" when coming to a stop and another single "tick" when the accelerator is pressed. Nissan replaced the traction motor, which fixed it for about nine months, but the sound is back so back to the dealer it goes.

PolinEV said:
I have a 2014 Leaf S with 42,000 miles that just had NTB 12-055 done to fix the noise issue. Dealer said not covered by the powertrain warranty. They charged me 79.43 for a 1/2 hour of labor. They said it fell under the "adjustments" warranty category and that expires after 12,000 miles.

I'll do this myself if it happens again. Would anyone have a copy of the Service bulletin by chance?
LEAF TSBs can usually be found under http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/651/.

Some also end up under https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/691/.

On 8/11/17 I had TSB NTB12-055F which included parts:

400371CA0A washer 2@$5
400730L700 pin-cotter 2@$2
402621CA0A nut-lock, front wheel bearing 2@$25

Labor $202.50

The noise has been gradually returning and is now doing it again regularly.

Is this noise prone to return? I see others stating the noise returned after a while.

Is there another step? I just want to make sure that I am not missing a warranty repair that needs to be done.

Thanks!

The noise came back for me after a month or two. They had charged me about $90 labor and that's it. I guess they didn't bother to replace any parts in the process. I'll see about doing it myself. I asked for a full copy of the service bulletin and they did print it out for me. It specifies the lube and such.

ByeFO said:
On 8/11/17 I had TSB NTB12-055F which included parts:

400371CA0A washer 2@$5
400730L700 pin-cotter 2@$2
402621CA0A nut-lock, front wheel bearing 2@$25

Labor $202.50

The noise has been gradually returning and is now doing it again regularly.

Is this noise prone to return? I see others stating the noise returned after a while.

Is there another step? I just want to make sure that I am not missing a warranty repair that needs to be done.

Thanks!

Back