ELM327-type OBD Bluetooth devices for Android Apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
The best OBDII Bluetooth device I have yet to find is the OBDLink LX. It is compatible with everything I have tried, very configurable, extremely fast, and the firmware is upgradable from their app. It is also the most expensive as well but well worth it... Amazon, among others, has it...
How do you configure the OBDlink? I have LELink v.2 and it did not come with any kind of software but does connect to LeafSpy pro on a Samsung S6 just fine.
What can be configured on the LELink?

Pomonabill220 said:
TomT said:
The best OBDII Bluetooth device I have yet to find is the OBDLink LX. It is compatible with everything I have tried, very configurable, extremely fast, and the firmware is upgradable from their app. It is also the most expensive as well but well worth it... Amazon, among others, has it...
How do you configure the OBDlink? I have LELink v.2 and it did not come with any kind of software but does connect to LeafSpy pro on a Samsung S6 just fine.
What can be configured on the LELink?
A future release of LeafSpy Pro will have an option to allow you to enable the zero power mode. The current release will always disable this feature.

However, this feature should not be enabled if you have a 2018 Leaf as it will result in the LELink^2 never coming out of zero power mode.

Ok great! I just didn't know what was configurable and wondered if data rate could be increased because the best response time I have gotten so far is 4 seconds, and the LELink is down to 6 seconds. I didn't know if that is what is to be expected or not.
Other than that, Leaf Spy is fantastic and VERY helpful!

BTW... I have read many posts about the bluetooth going to sleep during charge.
Is this due to the dongle loosing power or does the car just stop the data stream on the CAN bus?
If I could keep the dongle powered (moving the wire from pin 16 to 13 I think), would that keep the data stream active during a charge? I would really like to log the charge cycle while I am at work.

Which app on Android can I use to change settings on the LELink adapter? Like auto standby. Must the red light alway be on?

MrOtto said:
Which app on Android can I use to change settings on the LELink adapter? Like auto standby. Must the red light alway be on?
The currently released versions of LeafSpy will default to turning the auto zero power mode off when they starts up.

Best to wait until I add an option to LeafSpy to enable this feature.

Turbo3 said:
A future release of LeafSpy Pro will have an option to allow you to enable the zero power mode. The current release will always disable this feature.

However, this feature should not be enabled if you have a 2018 Leaf as it will result in the LELink^2 never coming out of zero power mode.

Does that mean for a 2018 Leaf, I should not purchase LELink^2? Which OBD would you recommend instead?

mervinj7 said:
Turbo3 said:

Does that mean for a 2018 Leaf, I should not purchase LELink^2? Which OBD would you recommend instead?
Ok to buy the LELink^2 since LeafSpy keeps that feature turned off.

On some future release I will add an option for those with a 2011-2017 Leaf to enable the zero power mode. That will not be available if LeafSpy detects a 2018 Leaf.

It also seems the Konnwei KW903 (not the KW902) which is Bluetooth 4.x LE also works just like the LELInk. Still testing this with one user to verify. But the KW903 BTLE works fine for me on an Android device despite the labeling that it only works on iOS.

Just to make sure 100%

OK to buy this one for Android?

https://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluetooth-Energy-OBD-II-Diagnostic/dp/B00QJRYMFC/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YDWZME6G961R2E19N4AF

I just purchased that exact one and have not been able to get it to work on my phone, Samsung Galaxy S7. I'm looking to purchase a used Leaf soon and I wanted to use LeafSpy Pro to evaluate vehicles. I've been trying to use the manufacturer's app and even that cannot connect to the unit. I'm working with the manufacturer to try and figure out what is going on.

Newporttom said:
Just to make sure 100%

https://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluetooth-Energy-OBD-II-Diagnostic/dp/B00QJRYMFC/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YDWZME6G961R2E19N4AF

HiLeaf said:
I just purchased that exact one and have not been able to get it to work on my phone, Samsung Galaxy S7. I'm looking to purchase a used Leaf soon and I wanted to use LeafSpy Pro to evaluate vehicles. I've been trying to use the manufacturer's app and even that cannot connect to the unit. I'm working with the manufacturer to try and figure out what is going on.

Newporttom said:
Just to make sure 100%

Just tried on my S7 with a similar no-connect to LeafSpy, not having used LeafSpy on this phone. Not only must you turn-on BT,
but you need to get it in the pairing mode, i.e. a less obvious step with the S7. Besides sliding the BT switch, tap the BT function.
Try this with your PC to verify you have BT fully setup and pairing first.

Did you at least get the S7 to pair with the OBDII device? This is done before even starting the LeafSpy app.

I bought the device I mentioned and got it to work seamlessly on a Samsung S9+. The only difference I note is that the car has to be on. Before I could monitor charging while car was off.

lorenfb said:
HiLeaf said:

Newporttom said:
Just to make sure 100%

Just tried on my S7 with a similar no-connect to LeafSpy, not having used LeafSpy on this phone. Not only must you turn-on BT,
but you need to get it in the pairing mode, i.e. a less obvious step with the S7. Besides sliding the BT switch, tap the BT function.
Try this with your PC to verify you have BT fully setup and pairing first.

Did you at least get the S7 to pair with the OBDII device? This is done before even starting the LeafSpy app.

I was not able to get my S7 to pair with the LELink unit. I have my phone connected to a lot of BT things so I know it works normally. I turned off BT, turned it back on. It saw the adapter, but it wouldn't connect. I also tried using their one Android app and it was unable to connect. I contacted the company and they responded very quickly. They had me try a number of OBDII software but none of it worked. Eventually they stopped responding so I returned the unit to Amazon and picked up a OBDLink LX. $14 more but I feel it is a way better product. Solid construction: the casing doesn't feel like it would crack if I dropped it. The LED indicators are labeled and it has a physical button to restart the pairing process. You don't have to short out two pins to reset it, which is what you have to do with the LELink. Plugged it into my car (not a Leaf) and my phone was able to start the pairing process automatically. The app for the unit works pretty well, but has some areas that could be improved. The other OBDII apps could see it. I don't have a Leaf yet so I can't say that it works with LeafSpy, but at least I know it works with my phone.

Also comes with a license for OBDII Windows software so you can use it with your laptop to diagnose your car (haven't tried that yet). It also uses a unique pairing code, not the standard "1234". It is slightly larger, but that works better for me because it makes it easier to grip when removing. The software does not work with Apple products.

Now I just have to get a Leaf. :D

HiLeaf said:
I was not able to get my S7 to pair with the LELink unit. I have my phone connected to a lot of BT things so I know it works normally. I turned off BT, turned it back on. It saw the adapter, but it wouldn't connect. I also tried using their one Android app and it was unable to connect. I contacted the company and they responded very quickly. They had me try a number of OBDII software but none of it worked. Eventually they stopped responding so I returned the unit to Amazon and picked up a OBDLink LX. $14 more but I feel it is a way better product. Solid construction: the casing doesn't feel like it would crack if I dropped it. The LED indicators are labeled and it has a physical button to restart the pairing process. You don't have to short out two pins to reset it, which is what you have to do with the LELink. Plugged it into my car (not a Leaf) and my phone was able to start the pairing process automatically.
AFAIK, Bluetooth LE devices such as LELink require NO pairing to work w/Leaf Spy on a phone equipped w/Bluetooth LE support. That might be your problem.

See these posts (for example) by the Leaf Spy developer.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12785&p=528376&hilit=ble+pair#p528376
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19147&p=512261&hilit=bluetooth+le+pair#p512261

I got Leaf Spy Pro well before he had support Bluetooth LE dongles.

cwerdna said:
AFAIK, Bluetooth LE devices such as LELink require NO pairing to work w/Leaf Spy on a phone equipped w/Bluetooth LE support. That might be your problem.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12785&p=528376&hilit=ble+pair#p528376
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19147&p=512261&hilit=bluetooth+le+pair#p512261

I looked into that when I was trying to work out this problem. The phone is supposed to support BLE. And the phone said it could see the dongle. However, I could not get it to work with LELink2 Config app, even with the manufacture's assistance. I suspect a manufacturing defect as the boards looked misaligned within the clear case.

Be that as it may, I'll be looking at used Leafs soon and I can report back how well the OBDLink LX works.

HiLeaf said:
cwerdna said:

I looked into that when I was trying to work out this problem. The phone is supposed to support BLE. And the phone said it could see the dongle. However, I could not get it to work with LELink2 Config app, even with the manufacture's assistance. I suspect a manufacturing defect as the boards looked misaligned within the clear case.

Be that as it may, I'll be looking at used Leafs soon and I can report back how well the OBDLink LX works.

Question for anyone that has the OBDLink LX: When I start up LeafSpy and tell it to select the bluetooth paired device, it lists all the BT devices that my phone is paired with. I select the OBDLink LX and it asks for the Paring Code and says it must be 4 digits. The OBDLink has a 6 digit security code. Do I go with the "1234" paring code that LeafSpy suggests?

HiLeaf said:
Question for anyone that has the OBDLink LX: When I start up LeafSpy and tell it to select the bluetooth paired device, it lists all the BT devices that my phone is paired with. I select the OBDLink LX and it asks for the Paring Code and says it must be 4 digits. The OBDLink has a 6 digit security code. Do I go with the "1234" paring code that LeafSpy suggests?

To answer my own question (just in case someone in the future has the same question): Yes, just accept the default "1234" that LeafSpy suggests. I've tried it on two different Leafs and OBDLInk LX and LeafSpy (lite and Pro) work fine together.

(I wish there were a summary post pinned to the the top with a list of known good OBD devices.)

I just ordered this device - Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) OBD2 - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will it work? After I ordered it I saw that LeafSpy only supports ELM327 V1.5. Not sure what version this device has - it doesn't say.

I have a Samsung S7.

Thanks!

Back