End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rain is your friend! I had my end of lease inspection on Monday, right before turning in my beloved 2013 SV. It was raining moderately outside, and the inspector rushed it for that reason. The rain blurred the numerous scratches and the spots of rust on the nose, and the inspection showed $0 chargeable damage. I had figured $300 at least...

Held on to the car for every possible minute. Turned my 2015 Nissan with 5 minutes to go before closing 10 days after the lease end date. 39,500 plus miles after leasing it for 45 months. (40 months x $205) and taking advantage of the GA state $5000 rebate and paying the $200 surcharge for 3 years and on my 3rd set of tires, probably spent around $4000 net over the entire term. Nice bargain.

The dealer called me twice after that to see if I wanted to buyout. Each time, they would call back with an offer that was the same or worse(in the 11Ks out the door) than prior offers.

I have a question about the 10-day grace period. I am guessing that this period cannot be taken advantage of for traditional 3-year leases because it would require one to pay the car registration for the full year just to drive 10 more days, which makes little sense. The last poster talked about the lease duration of 45 months, and that's why the grace period of 10 more days was possible. But for most people such an extension is not practicable, correct?

In my case, had nothing to do with the annual lease, but the date of my registration which falls in November. It didnt make a difference if my lease extension was for a year instead of 9 months.

I just bought out my 2015 SL lease from Nissan Sunnyvale.

Got a great deal from Lou Suppan.
They did a crappy job washing the car post inspection, but $35 at the car wash remedied that situation.

He was one of the few in the Bay Area that was willing to negotiate on the buyout price.

[email protected]
408-735-6888
415-810-6833

I got a REALLY good deal so told him I would give him some good reviews online.
:)

Cheers,
Jon

Details?

Nolansdad said:

They did a crappy job washing the car post inspection, but $35 at the car wash remedied that situation.

He was one of the few in the Bay Area that was willing to negotiate on the buyout price.

[email protected]
408-735-6888
415-810-6833

Cheers,
Jon

Nolansdad said:

[email protected]
408-735-6888
415-810-6833

Cheers,
Jon

Good job! and thanks for the extra effort to prove that a lease buyout is just like any car sale. There is ALWAYS money changing hands at EVERY step in the dealership!

Nolansdad said:

[email protected]
408-735-6888
415-810-6833

Cheers,
Jon

I am also in the Bay Area, and my lease expires in a month. Based on Jon's post, I contacted Lou Supan from Nissan Sunnyvale. After spending two days on trying to sell me a new 2018 Nissan Leaf, Lou finally gave me the price for keeping the leased car. It is the residual value specified in the contract. In Lou's view, this a great deal for these simple reasons: "Other dealers normally charge $500-$1000 over residual plus fees to buy out cars, I'm just working for free here trying to get you a fair deal."

I tried to negotiate with Lou whether he would give me something better. He offered to waive the disposition fee if I purchase the new 2018 Nissan Leaf. That's right, Lou made me a very generous offer agreeing to waive fees that the dealer is already obligated to waive under the express terms of the lease contract.

I am wondering whether the disposition fee waiver is all that he did for Jon. I asked Lou this question, and still waiting for the response. It appears this is all Lou did for Jon and this waiver is what Jon characterized as a "REALLY good" deal.

What bothers me, through, is how come salesmen at Nissan Sunnyvale work completely for free?

michaelt said:
Nolansdad said:

[email protected]
408-735-6888
415-810-6833

Cheers,
Jon

I am also in the Bay Area, and my lease expires in a month. Based on Jon's post, I contacted Lou Supan from Nissan Sunnyvale. After spending two days on trying to sell me a new 2018 Nissan Leaf, Lou finally gave me the price for keeping the leased car. It is the residual value specified in the contract. In Lou's view, this a great deal for these simple reasons: "Other dealers normally charge $500-$1000 over residual plus fees to buy out cars, I'm just working for free here trying to get you a fair deal."

I tried to negotiate with Lou whether he would give me something better. He offered to waive the disposition fee if I purchase the new 2018 Nissan Leaf. That's right, Lou made me a very generous offer agreeing to waive fees that the dealer is already obligated to waive under the express terms of the lease contract.

I am wondering whether the disposition fee waiver is all that he did for Jon. I asked Lou this question, and still waiting for the response. It appears this is all Lou did for Jon and this waiver is what Jon characterized as a "REALLY good" deal.

What bothers me, through, is how come salesmen at Nissan Sunnyvale work completely for free?

Why are you asking a question when you already know the answer?

Because it was a rhetorical question.

Rhetorical question: a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

Here, a person represented he obtained an unspecified "REALLY good" deal from a particular salesman who says that he works completely for free. The rhetorical question calls into question credibility of the salesman as well as the credibility of the person who highly recommended him.

michaelt said:
Because it was a rhetorical question.

Rhetorical question: a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

Your experience illustrates the fact that YMMV. I would continue with other dealers.

The point was not to illustrate that my experience was different, as if others might be able to get a better deal. The point was to discredit the salesman and the person who highly recommended him.

Sounds like Lou is being a bit more of a typical salesperson....

I negotiated via email with him and Redwood City. Both agreed to $13k out the door but Lou was 5 mins from my office.

That put the purchase price at about $10.5k and I didn’t have to make 6 payments at $249 ea.

I considered that to be a pretty good deal since the residual was $14k-ish

What are folks doing about damage? I dented in the bottom corner of the rear hatch and have a 1 inch crack in the bumper. Body shop quoted about $1000 and advise I use the comprehensive on my insurance to avoid ins rate increases.

Do the work prior to lease turn in inspection or take it in as is and compare penalty costs to repair?

Never leased before so don’t know what to expect upon return.

Phatcat73 said:
What are folks doing about damage? I dented in the bottom corner of the rear hatch and have a 1 inch crack in the bumper. Body shop quoted about $1000 and advise I use the comprehensive on my insurance to avoid ins rate increases.

Do the work prior to lease turn in inspection or take it in as is and compare penalty costs to repair?

Never leased before so don’t know what to expect upon return.

Get the end of lease inspection ASAP and see if the charge for the damage meets or exceeds the estimate from the shop. If not, just pay the damage charge.

My lease on 2015 Nissan Leaf is ending next month and here is my frustrating story trying to do get a good deal on buyout -

I reside in Austin TX and have been having really tough time explaining to multiple dealerships what a buyout incentive is. I spoke to Nissan finance but they asked me to deal with these lame dealerships.

After talking to about 5 dealerships around here and insisting them to talk to Nissan and get me a quote. Here is their response -

Dealership1, 2 and 3 - Bring your car here, we will ground it and then find out the final buyout number from Nissan
Dealership4 - 10,800 + 395 (disposition) + TTL
Dealership5 - 10,550 + TTL

My car is 2015 Nissan Leaf
Trim: SL
Mileage: 38000
Lease Period: 36 + 4(extension) = 40 months
Buyout price online = 13,248

What do you guys think of the above price? Is that even a deal? My lease is ending end of July and I still have some time left

My preferred option was to lease a 2018 Nissan Leaf but the monthly payment scared me away.

Back