End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafer007 said:
Battery is still 12 bars and the as far as I know, the car is in great condition.

Then I honestly don't know what's making you unhappy. You have an SL with the best battery Nissan ever made, taken care of by you, and you aren't thrilled at a $10.5k buyout...? This isn't two years ago, I'm afraid.

My bad...I should have been clear. I was only frustrated with having to explain multiple dealerships about something called buyout incentive. Infact there was this one guy who was arguring with me logically explaining that Nissan gives buyout incentives to dealers so that dealerships can buy the car when lease gets returned. I chose not to argue further woth him :|

Anyways...Im happy that I got some incentive. The reason Im returning is because of two things-
1. 2018 Leafs are too expensive
2. I had a minor bumper accident 3 days after AIM inspection gave me $0 wear. Bad luck :( but the body shop said they could fix it for $350. Im sure dealership would charge a lot more. I guess all of this doesnt matter if I buy it out.

I was searching online for used cars and I see that I am getting pretty much the market rate.

Thanks a lot for all your inputs. It does help in seeing this deal better.

LeftieBiker said:
The buyout on my 2013 SV (with no QC) was $17k.

Dont just go buy the number listed on nissan finance online portal. As posted above, I got my buyout number after talking to various dealerships.

*EDIT* - Didnt notice it before I posted...I guess you are already a proud owner of 2018 now :D

The local dealers never gave me an actual number. They wanted me to "come in" to "talk about it." I didn't really want to buy the 2013 anyway - I loved the car but the range had grown insufficient.

leafer007 said:
My bad...I should have been clear. I was only frustrated with having to explain multiple dealerships about something called buyout incentive. Infact there was this one guy who was arguring with me logically explaining that Nissan gives buyout incentives to dealers so that dealerships can buy the car when lease gets returned. I chose not to argue further woth him :|

I contacted numerous dealerships. I did mention something along the lines of "all applicable incentives", which just gave some of them something to argue about (i.e. "no such thing exists"). Whatever. The semantics didn't matter to me. Changed my approach to "give me your best price". They can play their games and call the money whatever they like; just give me a number :) In the end one dealership gave me a better price and during the closing mentioned something about "Nissan helping out". You just need to find a salesman who wants to make some money, just not ALL of the money. :lol:

Hey guys, I am at the dealership in ther process of buying out my lease. I heard this guy talking to another one about adding a $395 disposition fee + $75 some other fee.

My contract clearly notes disposition fee applocable only if you donot purchase the vehicle. But Im purchasing it. Not sure why they are adding this.

Whoever bought their lease, did you guys also pay these fees?

**Update**
They are calling this 395 as the doc fee! Im asking for more information

**Full Update**
They kept saying $395 is a mandatory dealership fee and there is a mandatory $75 fee from Nissan. They were not providing any information on what the fee entails. And this sales guy comes up with a new paper from Nissan Corporate that shows the minimum they can do is 10,800

so the final price changed to 10,800 + 395 + 75 + TTL

And I decided to not go forward at that moment. Told him that I will come back after talking to other dealerships.

I was able to get a copy of Nissan GPO minimum buyout price it might be useful for the community here. but it has a disclaimer saying "Its confidential and cannot be distributed to public"

leafer007 said:
Hey guys, I am at the dealership in ther process of buying out my lease. I heard this guy talking to another one about adding a $395 disposition fee + $75 some other fee.

My contract clearly notes disposition fee applocable only if you donot purchase the vehicle. But Im purchasing it. Not sure why they are adding this.

Whoever bought their lease, did you guys also pay these fees?

**Update**
They are calling this 395 as the doc fee! Im asking for more information

I'll again state my position that it doesn't matter what names they make up for their "itemized list". That's just their little playground to move numbers around and dazzle you with bullshit. Don't let them try to entertain you with 2nd grade math. Just go by total price.

There's no point arguing with them over the validity of arbitrary "fees".

Just shop around to get the best price. If you get a good one, go for it, or touch base again witht the others to see if they can improve upon it.

There is a purchase fee written into the lease contract to replace the "lease disposition fee", IIRC. The only ways to avoid it are to buy or lease another Nissan, or negotiate a buyout that negates the fee by being that much lower.

The salesman gave me a call and they finally agreed to not charge an additional $395 but instead do the $300 purchase option + $75 nissan fee.

So the price is coming to
$10800 + $300 + $75 + 6.25% tax + $341

He is throwing in detailing and extra car wash.

I guess this is the best I can get afer trying out other dealerships. I had to literally send the other dealers the Leaf GPO discount quote and even then they had no clue. :(

Anyways. This is the best I got and Im cool with it

I have one more important question. I guess this is specifically for Texas buyers - I was under the impression that texas leasees pay the full sales tax upfront so we dont have to pay sales tax again? I brought this up but the finance manager was adamant saying we pay the sales tax only on the leased portion. We are required to pay tax on the residual when you buy it.

Almost all online forums say texas leases suck big time because of upfront sales tax. And my lease contract doesnt show any sales tax so it looks like i didnt pay any tax! Can somebody please clarify this?

My lease is ending in Sept. I have a 2015 Leaf SV.

Residual Value: $10,118.10

Excuse my ignorance but my understanding is if I wanted to buy the car, I'd owe Nissan $10,118.10 + TTL + any other BS fee the dealer makes up that I can't talk them out of, correct?

My wife knows I'm adamant about having an EV, whether it's this one or another, but she wants one with longer range. I'm learning towards keeping this one and paying it off quickly so we have no car payments :D . It only has 30K miles on it and battery is at 12 bars. It has the Around View Monitor and Bose system (no quick charge though). For a 2015, hard to beat that. Do wish it had the range of the new ones but not looking to start over buying a new car.

I bought my lease for the price quoted below. I am also posting an image that shows Leaf buyout incentives available between July1st to 9th here https://imgur.com/a/meScTR2. I am a newbie and not sure if the image uploaded well. Let me know

leafer007 said:
The salesman gave me a call and they finally agreed to not charge an additional $395 but instead do the $300 purchase option + $75 nissan fee.

I guess this is the best I can get afer trying out other dealerships. I had to literally send the other dealers the Leaf GPO discount quote and even then they had no clue. :(

I have one more important question. I guess this is specifically for Texas buyers - I was under the impression that texas leasees pay the full sales tax upfront so we dont have to pay sales tax again? I brought this up but the finance manager was adamant saying we pay the sales tax only on the leased portion. We are required to pay tax on the residual when you buy it.

Almost all online forums say texas leases suck big time because of upfront sales tax. And my lease contract doesnt show any sales tax so it looks like i didnt pay any tax! Can somebody please clarify this?

Not an end-of-lease strategy, but a purchase of someone else's lease return that might help with those end-of-lease discussions.

Just scored a 2016 SV with over 35,000 miles. Total of $14,450 + TTL. Not a great deal, but that was below what the used car sites were listing them for.

blueblob06 said:

Excuse my ignorance but my understanding is if I wanted to buy the car, I'd owe Nissan $10,118.10 + TTL + any other BS fee the dealer makes up that I can't talk them out of, correct?

My wife knows I'm adamant about having an EV, whether it's this one or another, but she wants one with longer range. I'm learning towards keeping this one and paying it off quickly so we have no car payments :D . It only has 30K miles on it and battery is at 12 bars. It has the Around View Monitor and Bose system (no quick charge though). For a 2015, hard to beat that. Do wish it had the range of the new ones but not looking to start over buying a new car.

By accounts here, 2015 is considered to have the most durable LEAF battery so far.

There is a $300 purchase option fee that is listed on my lesse contract. But you can definitely talk about other fees, push them as hard as you can.

I think overall, 10118 is a pretty good deal. I am not sure how much you have already paid?

Nubo said:
blueblob06 said:

By accounts here, 2015 is considered to have the most durable LEAF battery so far.

leafer007 said:
There is a $300 purchase option fee that is listed on my lesse contract. But you can definitely talk about other fees, push them as hard as you can.

I think overall, 10118 is a pretty good deal. I am not sure how much you have already paid?

Nubo said:
blueblob06 said:

I've paid $319/mth for (soon to be) 36 months. Plus a $1,500 down payment. That total will be $12,984 so if I buy it for $10,118, I'll have paid a total of $23,102 (plus TTL and fee) for a car that had a MSRP of $34,890! Differences between those two numbers are the tax credit, dealer discounts, and a small amount for a car I traded in.

leafer007 said:
I bought my lease for the price quoted below. I am also posting an image that shows Leaf buyout incentives available between July1st to 9th here https://imgur.com/a/meScTR2. I am a newbie and not sure if the image uploaded well. Let me know

leafer007 said:

Thanks for that. My residual is something like $8900 on my 2015 S, so I’m guessing I won’t be doing much better than that. How did all of you end up with such high residuals? Anyone get a lease extension recently?

I don't know if I've posted on this topic already, but I don't remember doing so.

We recvd a termination estimate that we'd owe Nissan $200-$300 for a small scratch on the rocker panel. We also had signed up for the extended lease.

However, we chose to lease a Bolt and once we did we turned in the Leaf. When we turned in the Leaf the Nissan agent looked over the car, checked the glove box for the manual, checked the trunk for the EVSE, took our two key fobs and had us sign some papers.

That was it. Later we got a message in the post that our lease was canceled. We never recvd a bill for the scratch or anything else.

Simple and pain free.

The lease of the new Bolt went equally as smoothly.

Paul

Back