80% Charging on 2014-17 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally get pretty close to 120v at my house and a tad under 240 but note while commercial power you may be 120v you almost always only get 208v(or down to 205v) for 240v equiv, because of the whole 3-phase thing.

I made a timer box with a contactor in it and a 6 hour timer for use with my 2015 Leaf. This allows us to easily set the timer to the correct amount of time to get to 80% each time we plug it in. I have plans to add a wireless remote control to it so we can initiate the final 20% charge without going into the garage to do so. It was $60 in materials. With the Wireless remote it brings the materials up to $75.

It's all such a shame that Nissan has got rid of the 80% charge feature and charges money for their "Carwings/Connect" App that no one seems to like very much.

timer-box.jpg

The battery on my 2013 Leaf SV was replaced in February 2017. Is the 80% charging Long Life mode still applicable to new battery, or can I charge to 100% without affecting the capacity over time.

GuyCocoa said:
The battery on my 2013 Leaf SV was replaced in February 2017. Is the 80% charging Long Life mode still applicable to new battery, or can I charge to 100% without affecting the capacity over time.

Charging to 100% isn't the biggest reason for degradation, but to the extent that it does affect it, your car will still be affected. Charging to 100% in Hot weather and then letting it sit for more than a few hours is what you want to avoid.

LeftieBiker said:
Charging to 100% isn't the biggest reason for degradation, but to the extent that it does affect it, your car will still be affected. Charging to 100% in Hot weather and then letting it sit for more than a few hours is what you want to avoid.

I live in Miami, so it’s always hot weather. Thanks!

GuyCocoa said:
The battery on my 2013 Leaf SV was replaced in February 2017.
I'm assuming you lost 4 bars before the 5 year/60K capacity warranty expired, right?

If so, can you add some info to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269 like: build month (on driver's side door sticker), approx original in-service date, approximate location, approx mileage and date of 4th bar loss? Thanks!

Back