Headrests are uncomfortable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Increased comfort probably means increased risk of neck injury in a crash. I've got cheap seat covers over the $#@!! leather seats in my SL. They look crappy, but since they extend up over the head restraints, they also make them more comfortable.

I discovered that the body of the head restraint angles forward a lot more than the posts. I tolerate the head restraints in most newer vehicles by raising them as high as possible so that my head rests against the lower portion of the body instead of the upper portion which is angled much further forward.

Yes, safety feature. They seem to be especially uncomfortable for small/skinny people. We don't have the body mass/thickness to move our head away from the restraint. I've put in a full contoured body cushion to move me ~1 1/2-2" forward. That plus a click or 2 of recline seems to work.
I understand the safety aspect, but IMO they suck and it would be nice if there were options for swapping out to units that were not so aggressively forward. One size does not not fit all.

flydiver said:
Yes, safety feature. They seem to be especially uncomfortable for small/skinny people. We don't have the body mass/thickness to move our head away from the restraint. I've put in a full contoured body cushion to move me ~1 1/2-2" forward. That plus a click or 2 of recline seems to work.
I understand the safety aspect, but IMO they suck and it would be nice if there were options for swapping out to units that were not so aggressively forward. One size does not not fit all.

Yes. This.

I just turned the driver's side headrest around; that was a good tip. We'll see how it works out. It's certainly more comfortable and allows me to sit up straighter, but I wonder what safety trade-offs I'm making. I really don't like having to drive with the seat reclined back far enough that the headrest isn't uncomfortable.

Back