questions about supplied 30 amp leaf 2018 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad and strick are not the same. The reality is that good inspectors tend to error on the side of safety. I have seen many cases where people use undersized breakers on a 14-5O then the home is sold and the new owner has a Tesla. Makes perfect sense to size the breaker to the full capacity of the outlet plus 20% margin. Why argue against safety, better to argue the opposite.

EVDRIVER said:
Yes it is however there is no way to insure what is plugged into that outlet. I have seen more than one inspection failed for that reason. ...

You have personally seen multiple inspections failed because someone wired a 40a circuit to a 50a receptacle to use with an EVSE? It is done so commonly that the notion is rather laughable.

davewill said:
EVDRIVER said:
Yes it is however there is no way to insure what is plugged into that outlet. I have seen more than one inspection failed for that reason. ...

You have personally seen multiple inspections failed because someone wired a 40a circuit to a 50a receptacle to use with an EVSE? It is done so commonly that the notion is rather laughable.

Yes and I have also seen many pass. Nothing laughable about either situation. Let me guess, you are an electrician that has done hundreds of 40A breakers on 14-50 outlets in more than one county and they all passed? You also have talked to thousands of EV owners and none of them have ever been failed an inspection for this reason. That I may find laughable but possible depending on where you do work. If you did all your work in say Mono county I may believe that. I just came off an inspection Friday I was certain I would fail on many levels, passed everything but then it was Oakland. It's been many years since I have lived in SD so no idea how they do things there.

The only UL approved unit is the Clipper Creek 24A unit. Tesla, OpenEVSE, snd the JuiceBox will do it but they are not UL approved. Some of the Chinese units will also do it but most do not meet the full J1772 spec.

GlennD said:
Tesla, OpenEVSE, snd the JuiceBox will do it but they are not UL approved.
Your info is out of date.

https://insideevs.com/emotorwerks-juicebox-pro-40-gets-ul-listed/

I find several references to the Tesla Wall Connector (and some other Tesla devices) being UL listed, but not an authoritative source.

OpenEVSE is UL approved if you buy it in the form of WattZilla.

I said OpenEVSE not the over priced Wattzilla. The Tesla EVSE has been redesigned but as fa as I know it is still not UL approved.

That brings up a question. Many Hollywood high rollers favor Tesla cars. If the EVSE is not UL approved and LA requires UL approved EVSE's how do they charge the cars?

GlennD said:
I said OpenEVSE not the over priced Wattzilla. The Tesla EVSE has been redesigned but as fa as I know it is still not UL approved.

That brings up a question. Many Hollywood high rollers favor Tesla cars. If the EVSE is not UL approved and LA requires UL approved EVSE's how do they charge the cars?

The Tesla is UL listed.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf

UL listed under file number E351001

Well I have to admit I have not been following Tesla. The older 40AS EVSE was not UL listed.

I have in a reservation for a 3 but I am not willing to buy the extra range battery for 9K, A basic car just fine. Since I am happy with my B I may never change . I do not need a long range car.

It really depends on the age of the house. Many older homes only have a three wire socket. The NEC would really like a 4 wire socket. The neutral on a 3 wire socket goes directly to the ground buss. It is white instead of green. I sold a 24A OpenEVSE to a customer with an old socket. It worked fine since the EVSE only required a ground connection.

Back