TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Tesla Ranks Last Place In Auto Dealership Index
https://insideevs.com/tesla-ranks-last-place-in-auto-dealership-index/

. . . In a dealership study published by the Pied Piper Management Company, covering the rankings of particular car dealerships from a customer’s standpoint, Tesla didn’t fare so well. The U.S based car company ranked dead last (34th out of 34) out of the auto brands included in the survey. Rankings are made by evaluating how helpful each company’s salespeople are to customers. tesla also experienced one of the survey’s biggest year-to-year declines, prompting a lot of questions for the management staff. . . .

This year’s top rank is taken by Audi. According to the study, Audi salespeople were most likely on average to ask customers questions to determine how a vehicle would be used, then helping them out pick a particular model. Additionally, Audi’s salespeople are also most likely to provide a “walkaround demonstration” that showcases vehicle benefits and features to customers directly, helping said customers to distinguish particular models within the brand and the competition. German car company dealership salespeople are also more likely to ask follow-up questions, helping better understand their customers’ needs and to provide them with particular reasons and motivation for why they should buy from their specific dealership.

The rankings have – following Audi – Lexus in the second place, followed by Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti, and RAM. As for the brands that improved most on a year-to-year basis are Audi, Jeep, and GMC. Headlining those that fell off are Tesla, infinity, and Porsche. . . .

To be fair on Tesla, the company never moved in the same direction as other automakers did with their dealerships. Tesla doesn’t sell through them. They sell vehicles through their own website and their own company-owned stores, essentially giving them full control over the entire buying process.

• “They are not on commission and they will never pressure you to buy a car,” Musk said of Tesla salespeople. “Their goal and the sole metric of their success is to have you enjoy the experience of visiting so much that you look forward to returning again.”

It seems that Tesla needs a long and hard overhaul of their sales tactics. More emphasis needs to be put into sales employee training. While this may not be code red for thcarmakerer, it still paints a rather worrying picture. After all, the sales experience is a big factor on whether customers come back for their second, third or fourth car. And with more legacy car maker, the ones with strong and budding ties between their dealerships and customers, come into the EV market, Tesla might find itself in a rather precarious position overall.
This is just silly. I'd be concerned if Tesla DIDN'T come in last in a dealership sales study. If Tesla used dealership-style sales tactics at their stores, that would be a problem.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Tesla Ranks Last Place In Auto Dealership Index
https://insideevs.com/tesla-ranks-last-place-in-auto-dealership-index/
It seems that Tesla needs a long and hard overhaul of their sales tactics. More emphasis needs to be put into sales employee training. While this may not be code red for thcarmakerer, it still paints a rather worrying picture. After all, the sales experience is a big factor on whether customers come back for their second, third or fourth car. And with more legacy car maker, the ones with strong and budding ties between their dealerships and customers, come into the EV market, Tesla might find itself in a rather precarious position overall.
This is just silly. I'd be concerned if Tesla DIDN'T come in last in a dealership sales study. If Tesla used dealership-style sales tactics at their stores, that would be a problem.
The better quote from the article:
When Business Insider asked for comment, a Tesla representative referred them to a 2016 tweet from CEO Elon Musk, commenting on the 2016 customer satisfaction survey from the Pied Piper, in which Tesla ranked 33rd out of 33 brands.

“Tesla finishes last in being salesy! Good,” Musk said.
That whole "It seems that Tesla needs" paragraph just shows that the writer at InsideEVS just doesn't get it.

A slightly better version of this article (minus that clueless last paragraph) appeared a few days ago in several outlets. E.g.,
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-ranked-last-on-a-survey-ranking-auto-salespeople-2018-7/

dgpcolorado said:
I disagree. To me, this is the relevant paragraph:
According to the study, Audi salespeople were most likely on average to ask customers questions to determine how a vehicle would be used, then helping them out pick a particular model. Additionally, Audi’s salespeople are also most likely to provide a “walkaround demonstration” that showcases vehicle benefits and features to customers directly, helping said customers to distinguish particular models within the brand and the competition. German car company dealership salespeople are also more likely to ask follow-up questions, helping better understand their customers’ needs<snip>
The bolded areas are exactly the ones that have the least to do with the typical car dealership sales experience, and the ones that provide the greatest value to the customer. They are the things I did when I used to sell AE equipment. Even though I was working on straight commission, I never acted or thought of myself as a 'Salesman', trying to upsell a customer on things they didn't need. I thought of myself as a customer service rep, trying to give them the information they needed that would help them choose the best possible options that fit their needs at the lowest possible cost to them, not what I was trying to move at any given time that would make me the most profit.

Tesla's customer service model is supposed to be the same, i.e. no high-pressure sales tactics, just providing the customer with the info they want and need to make a good choice. If they aren't managing to do that (and complaints about service centers have been on the rise at TMC as Tesla has had to expand rapidly), then the only remaining sales advantage Tesla has is the lack of haggling as if you were in some Moroccan bazaar. That's no small advantage, but Tesla should (and used to) provide a lot more.

Via IEVS:
Tesla Posts Q2 2018 Earnings Results
https://insideevs.com/tesla-posts-q2-2018-earnings-results/

. . . Financial results for the second quarter of 2018 are as follows:

• Revenue of $4 billion
    Loss of $3.06 per share

That’s significantly higher than the predicted loss of just $2.71 a share. . . .
Gross margin per car sold was 20.6% GAAP, considerably below Q2 2017 at 27.9% (presumably owing to lower margins on Model 3 than S/X). Gross margin on energy sales and storage was also down significantly YoY, from 28.9% to 11.8%.

In July 2018, Model 3 not only had the #1 market share position in its segment in the US, it outsold all other mid-sized premium sedans combined, accounting for 52% of the segment overall. . . .

LTLFTcomposite said:
Wow... going private?

Looks like a serious consideration.
I like many of the benefits of this. I always hated the ‘business for the quarterly report’ trap many companies fall into.
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/taking-tesla-private?redirect=no

I wonder who would be putting up that kind of money? Apple or Google? Or some consortium? IDK how this stuff works, but I do know how it works if you were dumb enough to be short.

Just before Elon's tweet, there was news that the Saudi Arabia Sovereign Wealth Fund invested $2B in Tesla.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/07/tesla-shares-jump-on-report-saudi-arabia-sovereign-wealth-fund-has-2-.html

Also, they don't need to buy every outstanding share at $420 each; only those that people want to sell. So the entire cost of the buyout might be as little as $20B (rather than the whole $70B+).

Email explaining to employees:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musk-explained-his-going-private-tweet-to-tesla-employees-with-this-email-2018-08-07

jlv said:
Just before Elon's tweet, there was news that the Saudi Arabia Sovereign Wealth Fund invested $2B in Tesla.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/07/tesla-shares-jump-on-report-saudi-arabia-sovereign-wealth-fund-has-2-.html

Also, they don't need to buy every outstanding share at $420 each; only those that people want to sell. So the entire cost of the buyout might be as little as $20B (rather than the whole $70B+).

A conspiracy theorist might conclude that folks with lots of oil to sell want to slow down the adoption of EVs

LTLFTcomposite said:
A conspiracy theorist might conclude that folks with lots of oil to sell want to slow down the adoption of EVs
From what I've read, the SWF investments are primarily non-fossil fuel related. Looks like they are wisely diversifying.

SageBrush said:
I estimate a $15B short loss today.

:mrgreen: :lol:

Next few days is going to be fascinating. I'm holding on to my looong position I got into in 2012, question is should I buy more.

As it stands today, you can buy at 379 and sell at 420 when the company goes private.

evnow said:
SageBrush said:
I estimate a $15B short loss today.

:mrgreen: :lol:

Next few days is going to be fascinating. I'm holding on to my looong position I got into in 2012, question is should I buy more.

As it stands today, you can buy at 379 and sell at 420 when the company goes private.
I'm also debating what to do, but I don't seem to be rushed into making a decision.
My investment was first and foremost based on a wish to see Tesla succeed. That has not changed so whatever I do will be subservient to that intent.

SageBrush said:
Conspiracy theorists are idiots. They, like you, typically support trump.

Oh well, many Dems are no better.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/815256370958237696

LTLFTcomposite said:
SageBrush said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Bad case of TDS. Russians under your bed?
I am appalled by that traitorous maggot. I think of the hundreds of children that the maggot in chief removed by force from the their parents and casually discards in detention camps and feel a sadness I cannot describe. I am embarrassed to be an American. That you are not just puts you firmly in the scum bucket, part of the excrement in which maggots thrive.

SageBrush said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
SageBrush said:
Bad case of TDS. Russians under your bed?
I am appalled by that traitorous maggot. I think of the hundreds of children that the maggot in chief removed by force from the their parents and casually discards in detention camps and feel a sadness I cannot describe. I am embarrassed to be an American. That you are not just puts you firmly in the scum bucket, part of the excrement in which maggots thrive.
LMAO Hey Captain Keyboard OT much? Calm down and try to stop hyperventilating long enough to Google "United States Constitution". The executive is responsible for enforcing laws; thank God we finally have a president that respects the oath he took. Barry certainly didn't. Plain and simple you're barking up the wrong branch of government.
Sorry you're embarrassed, do you need help finding the exit?

OT- Please move political discussion on a OT thread.

ITMFA

Wow. so so so so disappointed in this country. what a moron and all his jail worthy "greatest people".

Amazing how suckers ARE born every minute.

Effing winning at losing. yay?

Back