Cabin Air Cooling the Battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arnis said:
Exactly. BTW, Tesla's chemistry is NOT good in cold climates where I live (or Norway).
That's the first time I've heard anything like that. Their sales seem pretty good in Norway: https://electrek.co/2018/06/07/tesla-sales-norway-surge-stabilize-delivery-issues/

I assume that it's a pack temp of <0C that is the problem, so if you have a garage and keep it warmed to at least 1C you don't have a problem. And most rich people have heated garages. ;-) I have to keep the packs on my two-wheeled EVs above freezing to charge them, and it isn't hard - I just keep the garage temp to no lower than about 30F (for short periods) and generally at least 40F.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
No. In California most LEAFs need active cooling.

Or perhaps different battery chemistry for hotter places. The problem with one size fits all is that it doesn't.
Sure, but that gets very expensive, especially if you're trying to achieve economies of scale. Active cooling costs more per car, but if you need it in many if not most climates, it's the minimum acceptable standard, and probably cheaper than maintaining multiple packs. If Nissan had limited LEAF sales to NW Europe, the PNW west of the Cascades, Canada and areas with similar climates the batteries would do fine. Since they didn't and never intended to do so, they need packs capable of dealing with the whole range of climates, at least until regional sales volumes increase to the point where specialized packs make financial sense.

goldbrick said:
arnis said:
Schrödinger's Leaf has a chemistry that fits everybody. And doesn't.

Of course the problem is you can't tell which it is until you buy it to find out. Maybe if it was just leased the answer could remain uncertain and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.
You'd need to add a disclaimer on the pink slip: This car contains a cat, which may or not be dead.

LeftieBiker said:
And most rich people have heated garages.

We are talking about car owners, not specifically rich.
And no, rich reasonable people do not have climate controlled garages
nor do owners park their car at home when not at home.
Europeans are not resource wasting occupants of this planet.

One day, EU will have Energy label for EV's as well.
Tesla S/X is far far from efficient compared to other EV's, especially in cold.
It behaves like ICE vehicle in the cold - first 10-15 minutes a lot of fuel is wasted
on drivetrain itself. Not ok for short commute trips. Cabin heat is excluded.

Can't solve efficiency problem with warm garage.

We are talking about car owners, not specifically rich.
And no, rich reasonable people do not have climate controlled garages
nor do owners park their car at home when not at home.
Europeans are not resource wasting occupants of this planet.

If you drive a Tesla, you are rich, relatively speaking. And note that I wrote "heated garages" not "climate controlled garages." They just need to be kept above freezing, which is easy with an attached garage, or even one that just has good wiring.

I think you are stuck with 'merican point of view.
No we shall not heat rooms we don't live in. End of story.
If we do, we should change our behaviour.

arnis said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
No. In California most LEAFs need active cooling.

Or perhaps different battery chemistry for hotter places. The problem with one size fits all is that it doesn't.

Exactly. BTW, Tesla's chemistry is NOT good in cold climates where I live (or Norway).
It is not acceptable that battery can not charge (at all) below 0*C. Nonsense. It's not like it has water for electrolyte :|

Acceptable or not, it's a consequence of the battery chemistry; not nonsense. Charging below that temperature risks copper plating of the anode, if memory serves.

Back