IEVS: Consumer Reports Not Impressed By 2018 Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The parasitic losses on the M3 are exaggerated by those using an app too often, waking up the car and also using third party apps. Based on what I have seen the loads are lower than the newer S. The pack is very efficient and well designed. Of course just like the 12V battery issue on the M3 that never existed there is always something to blow out of proportion. Use of a 12V battery tender on any EV is easy if you hide the cable and the car will not run long charge cycles on the 12V and dramatically reduce losses.

EVDRIVER said:
Use of a 12V battery tender on any EV is easy if you hide the cable and the car will not run long charge cycles on the 12V and dramatically reduce losses.
I'm unsure what you mean here. Are you saying you attach a 12v battery minder when you charge up the traction battery to reduce vampire losses ?

finman100 said:
Who would like to run the math on $$$ spent on a few kWh used to extend the life of a battery pack versus REPLACING the pack or entire car because it no longer gets people from A to B like it did when new?

Depends on climate. A TMS would never really cool my pack, as my pack is never warm enough to really need cooling. So $0.00 would be spent on kWh for TMS, or very close to it, and the battery life benefit would also be $0.00, or very close to it.

As battery cooling cost is linear with temperature, and battery life benefit doubles with every 10C warming, there there will be a climate warm enough to make a TMS worthwhile. Death Valley, for sure. Dubai, probably. Phoenix, Arizona as well. Probably not in Upstate NY, coastal Oregon, etc.

finman100 said:
Who would like to run the math on $$$ spent on a few kWh used to extend the life of a battery pack versus REPLACING the pack or entire car because it no longer gets people from A to B like it did when new?
The reports of really obnoxious vampire drains (of 2 -4 kWh a day) are being resolved with a BMS firmware and OTA updates and my impression is that the fleet will settle down to ~ 10 watts per car at rest when the entire vampire thing gets ironed out. This is not required battery cooling.

SageBrush said:
EVDRIVER said:
Use of a 12V battery tender on any EV is easy if you hide the cable and the car will not run long charge cycles on the 12V and dramatically reduce losses.
I'm unsure what you mean here. Are you saying you attach a 12v battery minder when you charge up the traction battery to reduce vampire losses ?

No, when not using the car for a few days the 12V tender keeps the 12V charged, when not used most EVs will cycle the contactor and other systems for a 12V charge cycle, this is usually a minimum of 15 minutes or more. This process uses much more power than charging the 12V directly so the tender shortens these sessions and does not waste all the power of the other higher consumption loads that come on. Not to mention the 12V is not cycled so it lasts much longer.

EVDRIVER said:
No, when not using the car for a few days the 12V tender keeps the 12V charged, when not used most EVs will cycle the contactor and other systems for a 12V charge cycle, this is usually a minimum of 15 minutes or more. This process uses much more power than charging the 12V directly so the tender shortens these sessions and does not waste all the power of the other higher consumption loads that come on. Not to mention the 12V is not cycled so it lasts much longer.
Good to know.
How frequent in the Model 3 ?

SageBrush said:
EVDRIVER said:
Good to know.
How frequent in the Model 3 ?

I'm not sure I would need to check but enough times to make a difference. If there is no need to charge then it stops the cycle sooner.

don't know about the "lack of oomph at highways speeds". I pass people pretty easily, 60 to 80 fairly quickly. definitely better than my old rogue and a corolla I rented a few weeks ago

dtam83 said:
don't know about the "lack of oomph at highways speeds". I pass people pretty easily, 60 to 80 fairly quickly. definitely better than my old rogue and a corolla I rented a few weeks ago

I wasn't kidding when I wrote that I think they loaded the car up with people.

dtam83 said:

yeah. read my comment. Unless its a "contender" its a dude to them. Recently, I was in a hurry (for some unknown reason) so I was in the left lane leaving work knowing I had to make a right turn onto the freeway in a few blocks. I punched it on the green and was shocked that I spun tires quite "well" and yes this was in Eco mode (mentioned for all who think that Eco mode has less power...)

Just illustrates how much more important tire rotation is in the new LEAF is all. :cool:

dtam83 said:

Same here. I usually don’t need to do it, but the other day needed to pass a car with a little authority and was shocked at how quick I went from 60 to 80. And 80 didn’t feel like 80. It was really smooth at that speed.

If anything, the 2018 Leaf reminds me of the acceleration I got with my former Honda Accord V6 (a small 2-door coupe that seemed like a good choice before having a kid). I’d say the Leaf is even more impressive accelerating than the V6.

I’ve found the handling to be above average for city/highway driving.

For me the two things that have made the Leaf an excellent choice (beyond the obvious EV reasons): Pro Pilot for that every so often I’m driving any distance on the highway (such a huge improvement over normal cruise control); and the e-Pedal. It’s such a better driving experience, especially in urban traffic.

I would have happily paid the $30k+ for the Leaf without these features. With them included make the Leaf an absolute no-brainer at this price point.

Yeah, I am sick of hearing so many complaints about the Leaf for BS reasons.... All Leafs are good.... That is why we own them. And if you don't own one, then shut up and go play at the Tesla site...

Back