2018 air conditioning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperionmark

Sitting in the car charging at a Chargepoint on a warmish but not super hot day, and the air conditioning seemed to quit working. Was probably about 40-50 minutes in. Restarted the vehicle and then it started working perfectly again. Some sort of safety shut off?

hyperionmark said:
Sitting in the car charging at a Chargepoint on a warmish but not super hot day, and the air conditioning seemed to quit working. Was probably about 40-50 minutes in. Restarted the vehicle and then it started working perfectly again. Some sort of safety shut off?

There is an algorithm in the first gen Leafs that does this under certain circumstances, and I suspect it remains. It's something like 'Reduce A/C output at very low speeds in hot weather until restarted.' I thought my A/C was failing after experiencing it a few times. I seem to remember it happening after I shut the car off to go in a store near the end of a long trip. Did you do something similar?

LeftieBiker said:
hyperionmark said:

There is an algorithm in the first gen Leafs that does this under certain circumstances, and I suspect it remains. It's something like 'Reduce A/C output at very low speeds in hot weather until restarted.' I thought my A/C was failing after experiencing it a few times. I seem to remember it happening after I shut the car off to go in a store near the end of a long trip. Did you do something similar?
Ya, it was something pretty similar. Was driving for about 2 hours, then went into a store to go to the bathroom/buy a soda after I started the charger. Came back out and started the vehicle to get some air conditioning. Then after a while it just seemed to slowly quit.

I wonder what their reasoning is for doing that.

Not enough air flow through the condenser? I assume there is an electric fan but that will probably not move as much air through the condenser as fresh air being rammed through the front of the car while it is moving.

hyperionmark said:

Instead of turning the car on while it's charging, remote activate the climate control. It will run for two hours before automatically turning off.

When the AC stopped working, did you verify the desired air flow was still in operation? LEAFs tend to change the air flow randomly which can very much feel like the AC compressor has quit.

This is crap. I can't believe this is actually happening on the newer 2018 models. I'm so glad we didn't buy a new 2018 model thinking that it would solve this problem. I won't buy a new 2019 model either if this problem still persists. I'll just take the 60 kWh battery and put it in my 2011, which Nissan would have to do, based on the Nissan Leaf Battery Degradation Class Action Settlement lawsuit, which says Nissan must use the most current up-to-date model year batteries for battery replacements. We've been dealing with this AC blowing warm intermittenly issue for several years, ever since around 2012. In 2011, everything was great car was ALWAYS blowing cool. Then they did a software update and everything went to crap with their AC system. Here in Arizona where its 115 degrees you can definitely feel when it starts blowing warm. I'm sure if you're in Japan or other cooler countries that never go above 85 Degrees you won't even notice it. Here are the links throughout the years with the same stupid problem:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26191

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26215

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20422

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21281

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23883

Attn: Nissan, please run a patch to fix this problem. It's very annoying to have to shut your car off and turn it back on at a stoplight just to have the AC work again

:oops:

dsh said:
This is crap. I can't believe this is actually happening on the newer 2018 models. I'm so glad we didn't buy a new 2018 model thinking that it would solve this problem. I won't buy a new 2019 model either if this problem still persists. I'll just take the 60 kWh battery and put it in my 2011, which Nissan would have to do, based on the Nissan Leaf Battery Degradation Class Action Settlement lawsuit, which says Nissan must use the most current up-to-date model year batteries for battery replacements. We've been dealing with this AC blowing warm intermittenly issue for several years, ever since around 2012. In 2011, everything was great car was ALWAYS blowing cool. Then they did a software update and everything went to crap with their AC system. Here in Arizona where its 115 degrees you can definitely feel when it starts blowing warm. I'm sure if you're in Japan or other cooler countries that never go above 85 Degrees you won't even notice it. Here are the links throughout the years with the same stupid problem:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26191

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26215

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20422

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21281

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23883

Attn: Nissan, please run a patch to fix this problem. It's very annoying to have to shut your car off and turn it back on at a stoplight just to have the AC work again

:oops:
Either we have different issues or you are blowing it out of proportion. That was only a one time problem that probably had a good reason for happening.

No I'm not blowing it out of proportion...anybody with the new 62 kWh Leaf Plus have the same intermittent A/C blowing warm issue?

dsh said:
No I'm not blowing it out of proportion...anybody with the new 62 kWh Leaf Plus have the same intermittent A/C blowing warm issue?

I'm going to leave this post, and you can pick one other topic where I'll leave it. The rest will be deleted. There is no need to post the same request in half a dozen topics. No matter where you post, the topic goes to the topic of the 'new posts' list.

I have submitted Case # 35668713 to EV Customer Service re: 2011- Current LEAF's A/C Blowing Warm Air Intermittently. if anybody experiences or has the same issues, please add your complaints to the Case # above... maybe Nissan will finally get this corrected and/or offer a software update, as it appears a previous software update caused the problem in the first place.

dsh said:
I have submitted Case # 35668713 to EV Customer Service re: 2011- Current LEAF's A/C Blowing Warm Air Intermittently. if anybody experiences or has the same issues, please add your complaints to the Case # above... maybe Nissan will finally get this corrected and/or offer a software update, as it appears a previous software update caused the problem in the first place.

Why do you make me see this three times?

I ve had similar problem but first time this summer and not last year on my 2018 leaf. Went 3 times to the dealership to inspect and evey time same response after inspection, no problem found. Work per specs?
I noticed in my case that when the AC quits I can no longer control the thermostat, I ll go down to 60f still no compressor turningon. Ill go up to 90F,car won t switch to heat either.
After it quits, condensayes will be visible on the vents
Case# 36092970.

Very Interesting...so the 2018 Models DO have this same problem too...a previous post listed these (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) Stored DTCs - B2785 B2786 B2791 HVAC A/C cuts out for several minutes. This has happened a number of times - usually for 2-5 minutes, then A/C slowly cools down again. :eek:. Any new 62 kWh Leaf Plus drivers have the same intermittent A/C blowing warm issue???

I have a 2019 plus and just now the display has stopped showing temp +/- and changes in mode of fan speed on the screen. It is constantly displaying the same mode and no pop up when trying to change the temp or fan speed.

It seems to still put out cold air on demand but we can't tell what anything is set to now. Is your car also doing this? Or anyone else?

There have been issues with both the Leaf II and Bolt (especially the earlier ones) suffering from touch screen freeze-ups. There is a reboot procedure for the Bolt; we need to find one for the Leaf.

I had an A/C issue last night: I took the car out of the garage for a drive to a friend's house in another city, and for about 5 minutes the vents were blowing warm air, before slowly going to cold as requested. Thinking about it, though, it may not have been an actual malfunction: the humidity has been through the roof for the last few days, and it was hot as well, until today. I suspect that the temperature inside the cabin was actually below the set temp (about 74F) and I didn't realize it because the humidity made it feel warmer...

Update on my AC issue. The dealership while replacing a control module for the AC found a kinked wire in the control harness so not software related in my case. Car still at the dealership they are now telling me they ordered a new evaporator case (may not have had to replace if they had found the harness issue when I brought it the 1st time, or 2nd or 3rd!) They are so slow. First time I brought it in was may 29th! And here we are!
Car spent more than 20 days at the dealership for this same issue. I m being told I ll get it back by Friday but I have very little faith in this service center at the moment. They know so little about EVs

Back