Charge Point locations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonewild

Has anyone signed up to get free charge at chargepoint locations?

https://www.chargepointportal.net/index.php/device/devicelocation.html

I got my RFID ordered. It was $9.95

CA has many locations, AZ one has 1 so far.

Gonewild said:

Yes, I did....to have the card in my wallet so that I have it if I need it!

Gonewild said:

I haven't. Zero chargers so far in San Diego....if they put some in, I'll be right there with my membership! :geek:

Got my card a couple of weeks ago. When the rain stops I'll take my motorcycle to the airport for a test charge.

I have my small RFID card (keychain) and used it this evening to charge at the Bookman's store in Mesa, AZ. It worked great!

Oh, and Gonewild, there are 3 locations in Tucson as well (2 Bookmans and 1 other place); glad you took my advice from yesterday and signed up for a card.

Do you need a chargepoint card to access the free stations? Their website is hard for me to understand.

Skywagon said:
glad you took my advice from yesterday and signed up for a card.

Well it was only 10 bucks and I would hope they add some in the future. Mostly you never no what the future driving will be or where I maybe. They may have more in 6 months and I could be in say the far west valley and be low on charge with charging station there that I can not use because I did not have a RFID card and I be asking myself !!Q>#$% was I thinking not ordering one of those Flippin thinks.

Has anybody tried calling the 800 number?
Do they want a credit card number, even if the use of the station is "free"?

Before you "activate" their charge-station, is there a clear statement of the costs?

Does it print a proper receipt?

garygid said:
Has anybody tried calling the 800 number?
Do they want a credit card number, even if the use of the station is "free"?

Before you "activate" their charge-station, is there a clear statement of the costs?

Does it print a proper receipt?
If you want the free fab it cost $9.95 and I used CC. That is good for all free charge stations. If you want the pay stations you have to have a balance that debts off some CC.

You can call and mail a check I would guess to get access to the free charge stations.

https://www.chargepointportal.net/index.php/authz/login.html
Drivers: please note that some stations now require payment for use, although the majority of stations continue to be free. The station's pricing appears in the table under the map in the Find Charging Stations feature. In order to use a paid (non-free) station, you must change your account type to "ALL STATIONS" and put a payment method on file. To do so, log in and select View/Edit Account under the My Account tab.
The basic card is just short of 10 bucks. I linked mine to a credit card and am ready for free and fee stations.

As of right now, there are only 6 ChargePoint EVSEs that require payment:

SOLAR SERVICES / VA BEACH HQ 01
877 Seahawk Circle, Virginia Beach, VA 23452
$1.50/hour, $3.00 minimum.

SOLAR SERVICES / VA BEACH HQ 02
877 Seahawk Circle, Virginia Beach, VA 23452
$1.50/hour, $3.00 minimum.

DDOT / 2000 14 ST NW
2000 14TH STREET NW, WASHINGTON DC 20009
Billing from 6am to 10pm: $2.00/hour, $0.75 minimum.
Billing from 10pm to 6am: $1.00/hour, $0.75 minimum.

RPU PLUG AND GO / RPU STATION 1
150 South Broadway, Rochester, MN 55904
$1.50/hour, $1.50 minimum.

ECM WEBER ELEC / 1ST NATIONAL #1
332 N. Minnesota Street, St. Paul, MN 55101
$3.00/hour, no minimum.

COULOMB TECH / PRIUS CHARGER
1686 Dell Ave, Campbell, CA 95008, USA
$2.00/hour, no minimum.

DarkStar said:
As of right now, there are only 6 ChargePoint EVSEs that require payment:

{ranging from $1.50 to $2.00 per hour, some with multi hours-worth minimums}

This is the kind of thing I'm afraid of - not for me personally but for the EV concept in general...on the order of at least 40c/kWh (way more if you don't meet the minimum) or about 12c/mile for a LEAF - that's ~50% more than gas for a Civic Hybrid, not counting the extra time spent waiting unless you have something else productive to do in the area. So much for the much ballyhooed cost advantage of electric over gas, at least when using public charging infrastructure. If a trend to profit-driven monetization takes hold as the infrastructure becomes more widespread, this whole thing is going to fizzle. Hopefully enterprises will realize that the alternative, spending a few cents to entice a customer into their store (or at least not gouging them) could help their bottom line. Either that or Calvin's dad's wish for $8/gallon gas coming true.

wsbca said:
This is the kind of thing I'm afraid of [...]
You're forgetting that the cost is for the actual parking spot too. I don't know if any of these are located in paid-parking areas, but I imagine at most locations you're paying for "parking" and the "charging" is free. In some situations, you might be receiving premium parking too.

During the summer, Hillsboro has many farmers' markets, however parking is almost impossible. The parking structure right next to the city center though has dedicated parking for "alternative fuel vehicles." Since the city sold their CNG cars, the spots have been empty. Now that they've installed ChargePoint stations there, I'll be able to park my LEAF there. I would gladly pay for those prime spots, but right now they're free!

technically, most of these are L2 EVSEs. capable of 32A. If you used the full power availble from them (which is not possible with the current Leaf), the pricing would be high, but not terrible. It's possible to pull a bit over 7KW / hour, if you use what the equipment is capable of, then the $1.50/hour comes out to about 20 cents a KW, which is still high, but not outrageous.

Signed up for an RFID card.

Anyone know what the deal is with ChargePoint's extension cord specs? No clear ends? What is the benefit of opaque ends?

Randy

Randy said:
Signed up for an RFID card.

Anyone know what the deal is with ChargePoint's extension cord specs? No clear ends? What is the benefit of opaque ends?

Randy
I use the 120V plug for my motorcycle. The charge point has a light and sensor inside so it knows there's something plugged in - and a clear plug doesn't block enough light to signal that there's a plug inserted.

I've seen cords with clear plugs and indicator lights inside - the glow tells you the cord's energized. The light's usually in the 'receptacle' end, though, so shouldn't be a problem for charge point use. :?

Back