Electric Auto Association Petitions for Mammoth Lake Public Chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Raejean Fellows, president of the Electric Auto Association, has begun a petition calling on the Mammoth Lakes ski resort to install public EV charging for its non-Tesla customers driving electric.

The petition, Help Mammoth Lakes get Non-Tesla Charging Installed, can be found on the web site of Change.org.

There is a Tesla supercharger station in Mammoth Lakes and four resort hotels have Tesla destination chargers. The hotels also have J1772 EVSEs for non-Tesla vehicles. However, the charge stations are reserved for hotel customers only.

RTEmagicC_East_Side_Charging_Desert-600x400.jpg.jpg

There are no public charge stations, either J1772, or DC fast chargers, for non-Tesla vehicles in Mammoth Lakes, or anywhere else on US 395 from Mojave, California to Bridgeport. Effectively, the region east of the Sierra Nevada is a charging desert for non-Tesla EVs.

Fellows added, "I, along with the Board of Directors, encourage your taking active steps to increase charging infrastructure where you see it is needed."

The Electric Auto Association was founded in 1967 and is an advocate for EVs in North America. It has 80 chapters in the USA and Canada.

paulgipe said:
Raejean Fellows, president of the Electric Auto Association, has begun a petition calling on the Mammoth Lakes ski resort to install public EV charging for its non-Tesla customers driving electric.

The petition, Help Mammoth Lakes get Non-Tesla Charging Installed, can be found on the web site of Change.org.

There is a Tesla supercharger station in Mammoth Lakes and four resort hotels have Tesla destination chargers. The hotels also have J1772 EVSEs for non-Tesla vehicles. However, the charge stations are reserved for hotel customers only.

RTEmagicC_East_Side_Charging_Desert-600x400.jpg.jpg

There are no public charge stations, either J1772, or DC fast chargers, for non-Tesla vehicles in Mammoth Lakes, or anywhere else on US 395 from Mojave, California to Bridgeport. Effectively, the region east of the Sierra Nevada is a charging desert for non-Tesla EVs.
Ski resorts are pretty much ideal for destination chargers, as they've got power and customers who'll be there for 4-8 hours, and Mammoth is purely a destination in winter (it's a mix of destination and way station the rest of the year).

My personal need is for QCs (Lee Vining/Bishop/Lone Pine or Olancha) more than L2s, but I'm all for the latter as well, so have signed.

I'm repeating a point I've made earlier ...

A hotel "customer" likely includes people who use the restaurant, not just people that stay overnight. It would be prudent and polite to call ahead and verify their policy but this is typical circa 2018.
My Tesla Model 3 LR e.g. has a 48 Amp OBC good for up to ~ 45 EPA miles of range per hour charging.

It is a very nice plan 'B' if I ever need a top-off to reach a Supercharger.

SageBrush said:
I'm repeating a point I've made earlier ...

A hotel "customer" likely includes people who use the restaurant, not just people that stay overnight. It would be prudent and polite to call ahead and verify their policy but this is typical circa 2018.
My Tesla Model 3 LR e.g. has a 48 Amp OBC good for up to ~ 45 EPA miles of range per hour charging.

It is a very nice plan 'B' if I ever need a top-off to reach a Supercharger.

Agree again. As I noted in my Yosemite trip report I did ask about charging during a meal and they said yes. However, during that trip a two-hour charge and 14 kWh was on the edge of being enough for the route I planned.

I don't know how this petition got started. I do know that a Bolt owner who got towed to Mammoth from Mojave lives in San Diego where the head of EAA also lives. I am not going to explore it further. I'll leave it as a mystery. If it was me, I'd have edited the text of the petition as it's not quite correct. ;)

Paul

Back