Charge Point locations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
Anyone know what the deal is with ChargePoint's extension cord specs? No clear ends? What is the benefit of opaque ends?
In order to determine when charging is complete, the ChargePoint uses the amount of current going through the plug. Once the current drops to (almost) zero, it will automatically turn off the plug and notify you through ChargePoint that the vehicle is completely charged.

If you use an extension cord with a light in the end, the unit will never see the vehicle as charged, thus will never disconnect to notify you charging is complete.

1. The light at the end of the lighted-end extension cord is unlikely to draw more than about 0.01 amps (10 ma).

2. If your cord has a transparent end, consider wrapping the end with black electrician's tape, or anything to block the light.

3. Assuming the "EQ-time" before the LEAF's EQ-bump is a zero-current time, does that mean the CP EVSEs would not support the "EQ-bump"?

4. Or, if they did support the "EQ-bump", you could end up paying $1.50 (up to 2x $3.00) for essentially no (very little) extra energy?

At Lowes and Home Depot, all the 12 gauge extension cords they carry have the transparent ends with the neon lamp at the receptacle end.

I bought a new 50' cord to carry around with my 120v EVSE and decided to get a 14 gauge cord. It was a little cheaper, has black ends, and no neon lamp. It's good for 15 amps, so I felt I didn't need to splurge on the 12 gauge cord. And now I'm feeling so much better with my Chargepoint RFID card coming in the mail!!!!!

Back