Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, let me state what JDapter Stub™ and our company are:

1) Contrary to claims stated here, JDapter Stub™ has been vetted with Tesla prior to release

2) Contrary to claims stated here, JDapter Stub™ is safe to use with EVs

3) Contrary to claims stated here, JDapter Stub™ will not damage your EVSE

4) Contrary to claims stated here, Quick Charge Power LLC only designs builds and sells HIGH QUALITY Electric Vehcile (EV) equipment

Tony Williams
CEO / Founder
Quick Charge Power LLC

I think these posts by the company should stop this ridiculous back and forth on this topic..... People like to shoot their mouth about the high degree of knowledge and "ethical supremacy" they have... And as in my other language, "Find hairs on an egg".

Back to the original post.
As others have pointed out, what you saw were Tesla Superchargers, for which there are no adapters.

If you want to use them in the future, contact Nissan. Let Nissan know how beneficial it would be to you to be able to use them.
Encourage Nissan to take Tesla up on their offer to allow cars from other manufacturers to gain access to the supercharger network.

Alternatively, for your next car, you could buy a Tesla ;)

SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:
But it is a fair question to ask. Tesla Models S and X can use CHAdeMO DC FCs with a $450 adapter and they can use J1772 EVSEs w/their free included J1772 adapter. But, Leafs can't use Tesla Superchargers at all and can't use Tesla wall connectors without an adapter...

Nissan or their dealership proxies have every right to limit the use of the EVSE and CHadeMo they paid to install to whomever they see fit. And not uncommonly, they do just that. GM does the same.

CHadeMo or J1772 placed with public funds should be open to the public without discrimination. That includes LEAFs, and it includes Tesla cars. Use of public funds that excludes Tesla is unfair.

The Jdapter is using without permission EVSE paid for by Tesla, and by extension Tesla owners, for Tesla use.

This all strikes me as straightforward.

I will comment on this portion of the debate. I have heard this many times from Tesla owners, who believe that they have every reason and right to use CHAdeMO and J1772 (both adaptors are available from Tesla), but it’s NOT ok for any car to use a Tesla station with an adaptor. Many Tesla owners who share this view are quite vocal about it.

For the record, those big, expensive Tesla Superchargers cannot be used with JDapter Stub™. Most other non-Supercharger stations are owned by private parties, and their maintenance, insurance and electricity cost is paid for by the owner. THAT INCLUDES LOCATIONS WHERE TESLA PROVIDED THE CHARGE STATION TO THE OWNER / OPERATOR.

To use any charge station, whether Tesla or otherwise, it requires the approval of the owner / operator. If that charge station is held “open to the public”, then its ok for you to plug in.

If the station is behind a locked gate, or otherwise secured, or placarded as PRIVATE, or for GUEST USE ONLY, or some other restriction, then PLEASE, abide by whatever that restriction may be. Or, ask to use it. The worst they could say is no.

None of this is earth shattering stuff.

TonyWilliams said:
Most other non-Supercharger stations are owned by private parties, and their maintenance, insurance and electricity cost is paid for by the owner. THAT INCLUDES LOCATIONS WHERE TESLA PROVIDED THE CHARGE STATION TO THE OWNER / OPERATOR.

To use any charge station, whether Tesla or otherwise, it requires the approval of the owner / operator. If that charge station is held “open to the public”, then its ok for you to plug in.

If the station is behind a locked gate, or otherwise secured, or placarded as PRIVATE, or for GUEST USE ONLY, or some other restriction, then PLEASE, abide by whatever that restriction may be. Or, ask to use it. The worst they could say is no.
+1

The first time I saw a JDapter Stub in person was at an Electrify America event last year and it was owned by someone with a Bolt. it's a great idea and if I had a Bolt (or other long range, non-Tesla EV), I would certainly own one, too.

The comments in the TMC thread notwithstanding, the Destination Chargers are given to the property own, who then pays for installation and electricity. They only care that it helps bring in customers.

I've read the rationalizations and self-serving BS of those promoting the use of adapter hacks to the Tesla L2 EVSE, and my response is this: From today, I'm updating plugshare and restricting my home EVSE to Tesla only.

A**holes destroy the commons.

SageBrush said:
I've read the rationalizations and self-serving BS of those promoting the use of adapter hacks to the Tesla L2 EVSE, and my response is this: From today, I'm updating plugshare and restricting my home EVSE to Tesla only.

Agree wholeheartedly, they do. ;)

Paul

SageBrush said:

Just as I've read the self-serving rationalizations of the people who want to control what they don't own.

As the owner of the station, it's absolutely your privilege to restrict access any way you like. Just as it is NOT your privilege to dictate access to stations you do NOT own. If the owner of the station doesn't mind, why in the world would anyone care what YOU think?

davewill said:
As the owner of the station, it's absolutely your privilege to restrict access any way you like. Just as it is NOT your privilege to dictate access to stations you do NOT own. If the owner of the station doesn't mind, why in the world would anyone care what YOU think?
Who paid for those stations ? I'll help you out here -- Tesla did. And in some but not all cases, Tesla also paid all or part of the installation costs.
Where did Tesla get the money ? I'll help you out again -- from Tesla car owners. Why ? To build a charging infrastructure to facilitate Tesla car ownership.

My opinion matters because I own a Tesla, and by extension I helped pay for those chargers.

Your turn.
In the meantime, I hope Tesla is taking steps to remove the parasites.
I will say though that if allowed by Tesla, property owners can post a sign explicitly allowing adapter hacks. Or the property owner can actually pay for the EVSE and installation and then decide on any limits. At an absolute minimum, anyone intending to use an adapter hack should obtain explicit consent from the property owner to use the adapter hack on a proprietary Tesla EVSE. You and I both know that the overwhelming fraction of property owners have no idea that these hacks even exist, let alone whether their contract with Tesla allows their use or the risks entailed in their use.

Wow. You have no idea how much of an entitled jerk you come off as. There's really nothing I can say that would make your position sound half as bad as your own words do.

9 times out of 10, when I'm waiting at a no cost DCQC for more than an hour, it's because a Tesla owner has plugged in and walked away. Time limits on free charging mean nothing to these people. I've even left and come back in a couple of hours to find the same Tesla still plugged in, sometimes not even charging.

Etiquette needs to work both ways...

Are there no moderators on this forum? Why hasn't SageBrush been banned? If nothing else, to stop people thinking all Tesla drivers are as bad at SageBrush. This person blatantly posts incorrect information and no forum should allow his anger and ignorance to fester.

SageBrush said:
davewill said:
Who paid for those stations ? I'll help you out here -- Tesla did. And in some but not all cases, Tesla also paid all or part of the installation costs.
Where did Tesla get the money ? I'll help you out again -- from Tesla car owners. Why ? To build a charging infrastructure to facilitate Tesla car ownership.

My opinion matters because I own a Tesla, and by extension I helped pay for those chargers.

Your turn.
In the meantime, I hope Tesla is taking steps to remove the parasites.
I will say though that if allowed by Tesla, property owners can post a sign explicitly allowing adapter hacks. Or the property owner can actually pay for the EVSE and installation and then decide on any limits. At an absolute minimum, anyone intending to use an adapter hack should obtain explicit consent from the property owner to use the adapter hack on a proprietary Tesla EVSE. You and I both know that the overwhelming fraction of property owners have no idea that these hacks even exist, let alone whether their contract with Tesla allows their use or the risks entailed in their use.

An argument can be made that some or all of this money you're upset about was "earned" via Tesla selling ZEV credits to non compliant auto companies. So taking that POV would mean Tesla didn't pout out any or perhaps a small amount of money for the destination EVSE's.

DFTBA said:
Are there no moderators on this forum? Why hasn't SageBrush been banned? If nothing else, to stop people thinking all Tesla drivers are as bad at SageBrush. This person blatantly posts incorrect information and no forum should allow his anger and ignorance to fester.

I for one hope he's not banned because you might as well be in an authoritarian state if you like that sort of censorship. I prefer to allow people to read all of the viewpoints & then one can choose the side or position on any particular issue they want. You're always free to "ignore" him by marking him as a "foe" in your control panel if you don't want to read his posts.

HerdingElectrons said:
I for one hope he's not banned because you might as well be in an authoritarian state if you like that sort of censorship. I prefer to allow people to read all of the viewpoints & then one can choose the side or position on any particular issue they want.

All right, let's dive into your viewpoint.
So, you consider SageBrush's off topic remarks and blatantly incorrect information a "viewpoint"? Do you consider SageBrush's antagonist writing, hostile attitude and attacks "viewpoints"? Do you consider SageBrush's snarky comments helpful? Do you prefer the toxic environment produced by this very young man? If so, why? Let's chat!

HerdingElectrons said:
quote]

An argument can be made that some or all of this money you're upset about was "earned" via Tesla selling ZEV credits to non compliant auto companies. So taking that POV would mean Tesla didn't pout out any or perhaps a small amount of money for the destination EVSE's.
Funny. Next you will be arguing that my salary used to buy a Tesla is paid for by other people's money so my car is actually their car.

alozzy said:
9 times out of 10, when I'm waiting at a no cost DCQC for more than an hour, it's because a Tesla owner has plugged in and walked away. Time limits on free charging mean nothing to these people. I've even left and come back in a couple of hours to find the same Tesla still plugged in, sometimes not even charging.

Etiquette needs to work both ways...
That is your justification for using a hack adapter ? Really ?!

I don't use a hack adapter, I've never once charged from a Tesla EVSE. You've entirely missed my point...

For the few people using a hack adapter at a Tesla EVSE, there are many more Tesla owners charging far too long at public EVSEs. Those jerks are starting to tarnish the reputation of all Tesla owners, fair or not.

In other words, there are jerks in both camps and the jerks are starting to make everyone else jaded - it becomes a vicious cycle.

I'm not excusing the behavior, but I guarantee some of those people who bought the hack adapters were at least partly motivated by frustrations with Tesla owners and feel they are giving them a taste of their own medicine.

alozzy said:
I'm not excusing the behavior, but I guarantee some of those people who bought the hack adapters were at least partly motivated by frustrations with Tesla owners and feel they are giving them a taste of their own medicine.
Hogwash. You are trying to say that two wrongs make a right. You most certainly do not have a clue why people have purchased a hack adapter ... other than the obvious, which is to use it at L2 Tesla EVSE stations.

alozzy said:
I don't use a hack adapter, I've never once charged from a Tesla EVSE. You've entirely missed my point...

For the few people using a hack adapter at a Tesla EVSE, there are many more Tesla owners charging far too long at public EVSEs. Those jerks are starting to tarnish the reputation of all Tesla owners, fair or not.

In other words, there are jerks in both camps and the jerks are starting to make everyone else jaded - it becomes a vicious cycle.

Better and PIP owners with their tiny packs that sit in spaces for 6hrs, see it daily:) Also almost every other EV type including LEAFs. It's not a Tesla issue it's an EV owner issue.

Back