Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:
I'm comfortable with them only updating the 'coming soon' list every three or six months, as long as they actually commission the existing 'coming soon' sites.
You aren’t really affected by this roll out. I understand your reasons, but you don’t have an EV so you are just watching from the sidelines here. Those of us who drive EVs everyday want to see operational chargers!
Not directly affected, yet. The sooner stations get built in the places I routinely travel to, the sooner I can realistically ditch my ICE and get a ZEV*. A Niro BEV is closing in on my requirements/price, although the lack of AWD is a big issue for me. The Nexo FCEV meets my operational requirements but lacks infrastructure and is too expensive, although otherwise is a better match for my needs.

My minimum requirement is the ability to make the 207 miles from home over Tioga Pass to Lee Vining un-recharged (assuming QCs will get built there), in any conditions I'm likely to encounter, driving as I normally do with at least a 30 mile reserve, and for at least 15 years. As my current 15+ y.o. ICE is capable of making the round trip un-refueled in anything but poor conditions, I'm willing to accept a significant loss of capability to go ZEV. OTOH, a ZEV that would have more range, allowing me to make it un-recharged the 234 miles to Mammoth Lakes, or the 270 to Bishop, or the 296 to Big Pine, or best of all the 327 to Lone Pine under the same conditions as above but without boosting the price would earn bonus points; anything beyond Lone Pine is gravy.

*My real desire is that convenient ZEV car-sharing and rentals would eliminate any need for me to own a car - I'm most of the way there now.

The new Ooltewah, TN (Mailing address. Is actally in Collegedale city limits. About 16 miles east north east of downtown Chattanooga. I75 Exit 11) is really pretty at night. The soft green lighting is impressive!

Haven't used it yet.

Hope its there and WORKING for many years.

The Murphy Express installation experiment was removed when it broke out of warranty.

A lot of the EV Project Blinks at Cracker Barrel don't work. Some have been removed.

One I used at Cracker Barrel on my single 2011 LEAF trip to Knoxville is no longer there.

A long term sustainable network is what matters.

TimLee said:
A long term sustainable network is what matters.
Yep.
I hate to say it, but the vast majority of the L2 and DCFC installed are a poorly thought out mess doomed to early obsolescence and neglect. I think the EA network will suffer the same fate because a fat purse is not enough; a healthy ecology is required.

Current list of open QC sites (15) at the end of the fifth month since opening the first (5/2/18), and also the end of the 3rd Calendar Qtr. Starting with the new year I'll probably track it by calendar quarter:

Electrify America Charging stations

• Gulfport Premium Outlets (10000 Factory Shops Blvd, Gulfport, MS, 39503)
    Brughs Mill Country Store (345 Brughs Mill Rd, Fincastle, VA, 24090)
    Chicopee Marketplace (591 Memorial Dr, Chicopee, MA, 01020)
    Reston HQ (2003 Edmund Halley Drive, Reston, VA, 20191)
    Walmart Supercenter 1065 (2400 N Hervey St, Hope, AR, 71801)
    Farrar Place (920 Hillsboro Blvd, Manchester, TN, 37355)
    Stratford Square (411 Barnum Ave Cutoff, Stratford, CT, 06615)
    Walmart Supercenter 91 (205 Deaderick Rd, Forrest City, AR, 72335)
    T & T Country Store (40 Washington St W, Huntington, OR, 97907)
    Walmart Supercenter 1214 (115 W Willow St, Colby, KS, 67701)
    Walmart Supercenter 664 (4301 Vine St, Hays, KS, 67601)
    Casey's Lebanon MO (669 West Elm St, Lebanon, MO, 65536)
    Walmart Supercenter 402 (1932 Rees St, Breaux Bridge, LA, 70517)
    Willowbrook Commons (61 East Thompson Lane, Nashville, TN, 37211)
    Walmart Supercenter 3835 (5588 Little Debbie Pkwy, Ooltewah, TN, 37363)

When Electrify America first published the map of their plan through June 2019, it was zoomable. They have since removed that feature for some unknown reason. That is obnoxious, IMO. They state that the locations are "within 10 miles", but make it nearly impossible to see 10 miles from where.

Someone did capture the location information and now we have a zoomable map again. Very convenient!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...U&ll=37.391594614576526,-97.3734734599995&z=5

I don't know who is responsible, but it was posted to a facebook group.

GetOffYourGas said:
When Electrify America first published the map of their plan through June 2019, it was zoomable. They have since removed that feature for some unknown reason. That is obnoxious, IMO. They state that the locations are "within 10 miles", but make it nearly impossible to see 10 miles from where.

Someone did capture the location information and now we have a zoomable map again. Very convenient!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...U&ll=37.391594614576526,-97.3734734599995&z=5

I don't know who is responsible, but it was posted to a facebook group.

Tyrell a NW Washington LEAFer turned Souler, turned Bolter provided it... (He still has all 3 vehicles...)

Thanks for the zoomable map. Looks like there will be only one station between St. louis and New Orleans. And none between Atlanta and Mobile. I would've thought there would be more than that.

My thanks as well for the zoomable map. Anyone who wants to complain to EA about the lack of zoom and scroll should email them at [email protected]

I just did, because it's been bugging me for awhile now, and this reminder got me off my butt.

There's definitely a hole in Mississippi, Alabama and N. Louisiana that will need to be addressed. Course, this is also the area with the smallest #/% of BEVs, and also some of the lowest median household incomes in the country: Mississippi ranks 50th, Alabama 47th and Louisiana 44th (2015 data), so it's unlikely that BEVs will see a big market here as long as they are more expensive than ICEs to buy.

They've opened four more sites, making 19 total. They've changed the numbers again, so I'm going to stop listing those. The new sites are in Mt. Vernon, MO (I-44, between Springfield and Joplin); Kennesaw and Forsyth, GA (I-75 NW and SE of Atlanta); and Waterford, CT (in between I-95/395).

Along with Nashville and Manchester TN, these two GA sites allow I-75 travel between Nashville, TN and Macon, GA. From Forsyth it's also possible to reach Savannah (189 miles) via I-16.

Their website still lists a total of 64 locations (19 open, 45 under construction). However, Plugshare shows a total of 71 locations. So it seems that EA really is not worried about keeping their website relevant with respect to those locations under construction.

GetOffYourGas said:
Their website still lists a total of 64 locations (19 open, 45 under construction). However, Plugshare shows a total of 71 locations. So it seems that EA really is not worried about keeping their website relevant with respect to those locations under construction.

Plugshare lists them all as pending...

There is a ton that have been "under construction" forever and they seem to be concentrated in the Northern tier. Its almost as if they packed it up for the Winter. I took pix in Albany OR in July as they were hooking up the last station and they are still not open.

and 40% of the spending is supposed to be in California, and there is yet to be a single permit even applied for, let alone any construction. But hey, I saw a TV commercial running during primetime TV about their network. Money well spent.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

There is a ton that have been "under construction" forever and they seem to be concentrated in the Northern tier. Its almost as if they packed it up for the Winter. I took pix in Albany OR in July as they were hooking up the last station and they are still not open.

Yes, Dave, they are pending. Or in EA's terms, "Coming Soon". Or in my terms, "under construction". Reading comprehension fail. Welcome to conversation.

My point is that there are a lot of sites in progress that EA hasn't even put on their website as "coming soon".

palmermd said:
and 40% of the spending is supposed to be in California, and there is yet to be a single permit even applied for, let alone any construction. But hey, I saw a TV commercial running during primetime TV about their network. Money well spent.
See EA's quarterly reports to CARB about progress in California, here: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info/vsi/vw-zevinvest/electrifyamerica_reports.htm

From the Q2 report:
As detailed below, the second quarter of 2018
(Q2 2018) was focused on securing real estate
and preparing for construction of Electrify
America’s electric vehicle charging stations.
The marketing team focused on finalizing
brand-neutral education and awareness
strategies, while the Green City Initiative took
steps towards program launch. Finally, Electrify
America continued its National Outreach effort as part of
its Cycle 2 Planning process.

The report also mentioned that, starting from 162 target zones intended for investment, they had progressed to the point of having signed leases in 71 of them at that time. I imagine the 2018 Q3 report will be out shortly and I'll post a link when I see it, if no one else has.

Just spotted this at GCC:
Electrify America announces $200M Cycle 2 zero emission vehicle investment plan for California
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/10/20181004-ea.html

Electrify America announced its next $200-million investment in Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) infrastructure as well as education and awareness in California which is outlined in its Cycle 2 California ZEV Investment Plan submitted to the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Cycle 2 is a 30-month investment period, which begins in July 2019.

The second cycle investment will build on Electrify America’s initial priorities and expand into new areas, where the need for electric vehicle charging stations and technology are greatest or are most likely to be used regularly. Consistent with the guidance of CARB, Electrify America plans strive to ensure that 35% of Cycle 2 investments are in low-income or disadvantaged communities.

Highlights of the California Cycle 2 ZEV Investment Plan include:

Metropolitan Areas: The central focus of electric vehicle charging infrastructure investment in Cycle 2 will shift to more DC Fast Charging (DCFC) stations within metro areas, where electric vehicle (EV) drivers are expected to charge most often. Electrify America will invest in nine metro areas inside California, including these new metro areas added for Cycle 2:

Riverside-San Bernardino
Santa Cruz-Watsonville
Santa Rosa

Electrify America also will continue to invest in the six Cycle 1 metros:

Fresno
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim
Sacramento-Roseville-Arden-Arcade
San Diego-Carlsbad
San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara

These metro areas are expected to account for 89% of expected battery electric vehicles (BEVs) in operation through 2022, according to a 2017 Navigant report. The DC Fast Charging stations will be placed in retail locations but also consider the needs of adjacent multi-unit dwellings where Level 2 (L2) residential charging deployment is oftentimes challenging. Electrify America also will invest in DCFC stations specifically targeting shared mobility drivers: car share, taxis and transportation networking company (TNC) drivers.

Highways & Regional Routes: The new Cycle 2 investments announced today will continue to build out a highway network of DCFC stations featuring charging power up to 350 kilowatts which can refuel a vehicle at up to 20 miles of range per minute. This will include building new sites connecting regional destinations, such as supporting travel to the Sierra Mountain communities and destinations like Lake Havasu.

Residential: The primary, most convenient and cost efficient fueling option for many drivers is residential charging. The Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy at the Department of Energy reports that EV drivers conduct ‘more than 80% of their charging at home.’ However, the cost and complexity of installing home charging can be a barrier to ZEV adoption for some buyers, especially in low-income communities. To address this need, Electrify America will develop a comprehensive residential charging solution.

First, Electrify America will develop an online tool that promotes and connects EV buyers with the wide range of residential charging incentives and rebates already available in California and simplifies the application process. This program will be designed to integrate with CARB’s recently announced ‘one-stop-shop,’ which focuses on incentives for the ZEV purchase itself, and together these offerings will provide customers support throughout the entire purchase process.

In addition, Electrify America will offer ‘no-money-down’ residential chargers and installation, enabling buyers who cannot or choose not to pay for the L2 charger installation at home. The cost of installation will be incorporated into a monthly fee.

Finally, Electrify America will develop a platform that will allow drivers with a home charger to earn financial rewards for plugging in and supporting a demand response platform for grid electric power stability.

• Bus and Shuttle Charging: To help spur adoption in this sector, Electrify America plans to collaborate with transit operators to provide charging infrastructure at depots, layover points, and on key routes. This approach offers another means of serving disadvantaged and low-income populations who rely on public transportation.

Rural: To further support the adoption of ZEVs in rural communities in California, Electrify America will deploy L2 chargers in rural areas with a potential focus on health care facilities and education institutions located in the Central, Coachella and Imperial Valleys.

Autonomous: To support the growth of autonomous ZEVs, Electrify America will build up to two commercial deployments of charging stations for autonomous electric vehicles where this need is emerging.

Renewable Generation: Electrify America will invest in renewable generation for select stations to help to reduce station operating costs and reduce the carbon content for EV refueling which is consistent with California’s broader air quality goals.

Education and Awareness: In Cycle 2, Electrify America will invest in additional education, awareness, and outreach activities to help drive ZEV adoption. Efforts will primarily focus on boosting awareness and consideration by informing the general public on the benefits of ZEVs through traditional media advertising, similar to Electrify America’s Cycle 1 “JetStones” TV/radio campaign. Electrify America’s marketing outreach will continue to coordinate with ZEV awareness initiatives by collaborating with key non-profit organizations such as Veloz. . . .

Electrify America will continue to support the Green City Initiative in Sacramento. The initiative, which includes two ZEV car share programs, two BEV bus/shuttle services and substantial investments in associated charging infrastructure, will showcase new uses of ZEV technology while promoting increased ZEV usage across many channels serving low-income or disadvantaged communities. While these programs are funded in Cycle 1, the services—and benefits—of this $44 million Cycle 1 investment will launch and be fully operational during Cycle 2. Electrify America will provide strategic guidance and operational support for these services over the course of Cycle 2. . . .
The article contains a direct link to the "Cycle 2 California ZEV Investment Plan" pdf file. This is the tentative plan and CARB will likely make modifications, as they did with the Cycle 1 plan before approving it.

Out of this second $200m tranche, they propose spending $153m for charging facilities, distributed as follows:

• Metro community charging ($95-$115 million)

Highway and regional routes ($25-30m, building on the Cycle 1 deployment)

Residential ($8-$12m)

Bus and Shuttle Charging ($4-$6m)

Rural Community Charging (~$2m)

Autonomous Vehicle Charging ($2 - $4 million)

Renewable Generation: To provide clean and financially sustainable power to stations in Cycle
    2, Electrify America will explore installing renewable generation where cost effective. These
    costs are related to station infrastructure and as such are included in the aforementioned cost
    estimates. In aggregate, investments in renewable generation are not expected to exceed $5
    million. . . .

As far as Education goes, spending plans are as follows:

• Boosting ZEV Adoption through Education and Awareness (~$17 million)

Boosting Station Utilization through Marketing (~$10 million)

The remaining $20m is for EA Business Operation and Organization.

Directly related to the above, also GCC:
Transportation sector stakeholders launch Veloz in California to accelerate adoption of EVs
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/10/20181004-veloz.html

In California, public and private stakeholders in the transportation sector launched a new organization—Veloz—to accelerate the adoption of EVs. Its first project, “Electric For All,” is the largest multi-stakeholder, multi-million dollar public awareness campaign in North America. Veloz also announced major commitments from utilities and Electrify America.

Veloz members include:

• Automakers, including GM, BMW Group, Honda, Nissan, Kia, Subaru, Daimler, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Ford.

Electricity providers, including Pacific Gas and Electric, Southern California Edison, San Diego Gas & Electric, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power and Sacramento Municipal Utility District.

Charging network providers, including EVgo, Greenlots and Electrify America.

Policymakers representing the California Energy Commission, California Air Resources Board, California Public Utilities Commission, California Department of Transportation, California ISO and other key offices.

Local government: Bay Area Air Quality Management District.

Nonprofit organizations, including the Sierra Club, CALSTART, NextGen Policy Center, The Greenlining Institute and World Resources Institute.

Others: AECOM, Uber, Lyft, California New Car Dealers Association, Center for Sustainable Energy, EDF Renewable Energy, Electric Power Research Institute, Hubject, PlugShare and Proterra.

Newly announced members: Audi, Flo, SemaConnect, ChargePoint and Webasto.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Yes, Dave, they are pending. Or in EA's terms, "Coming Soon". Or in my terms, "under construction". Reading comprehension fail. Welcome to conversation.

My point is that there are a lot of sites in progress that EA hasn't even put on their website as "coming soon".

Plugshare is listing whatever EA reports. right now two of the "under construction" sites I know of haven't even broken ground so there is no progress at all. I am sure "something" happened for EA to put them on Plugshare but other than specifying the location, nothing else is apparent.

One toured the entire location of one site and couldn't even hazard a guess as to exactly where the stations would be.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Plugshare is listing whatever EA reports. right now two of the "under construction" sites I know of haven't even broken ground so there is no progress at all. I am sure "something" happened for EA to put them on Plugshare but other than specifying the location, nothing else is apparent.

One toured the entire location of one site and couldn't even hazard a guess as to exactly where the stations would be.

Here's one on PlugShare that isn't on EA's map. I don't see any indication that EA added them as opposed to a local who noticed the construction and put 2 and 2 together. It seems clear enough that they have broken ground based on the pictures. I'm really not sure what you are saying here.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/166722

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Here's one on PlugShare that isn't on EA's map. I don't see any indication that EA added them as opposed to a local who noticed the construction and put 2 and 2 together. It seems clear enough that they have broken ground based on the pictures. I'm really not sure what you are saying here.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/166722

We are both saying the same thing; EA is not to be trusted!

They've opened three more, for 24 total: Albany and Grant's Pass, OR on I-5, and Sullivan, MO (Jct. I-44/S.R. 185). That's 9 so far this month.

With Sulphur, LA open, you can now drive between Houston and say Pensacola, FL. in a 200+ mile CCS/CHAdeMO BEV using their max. charge rates: Houston - 127 miles - Sulphur - 91 miles - Breaux Bridge - 180 miles - Gulfport - 126 miles - Pensacola. The two on I-5 in Oregon open Portland to the southern border and beyond (Mt. Shasta's 117 miles) : Portland - 70 mi. - Albany - 180 mi. - Grant's Pass.

Back