Fenix Power - Took money and but never delivered

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
powersurge said:
I think that the main problem is that the EV companies need to have an "open sourced" battery design so that owners can have the batteries replaced as a maintenance item. Not have batteries with computers and serial numbers that must be married to the car only by Nissan.

Most battery powered appliances (except Apple) allow people to replace the batteries easily. We need to lobby to have this made into the designs of new cars... Its like saying that Nissan cars can only run on Nissan gasoline available ONLY at Nissan dealers... Ridiculous..

I think that would require the automotive industry to adopt one standard battery architecture and while that might not be a bad idea, it probably won't happen. Especially when you have companies that keep their systems under lock and key due to proprietary issues, etc.

powersurge said:
I think that the main problem is that the EV companies need to have an "open sourced" battery design so that owners can have the batteries replaced as a maintenance item. Not have batteries with computers and serial numbers that must be married to the car only by Nissan.

Most battery powered appliances (except Apple) allow people to replace the batteries easily. We need to lobby to have this made into the designs of new cars... Its like saying that Nissan cars can only run on Nissan gasoline available ONLY at Nissan dealers... Ridiculous..
I don't actually see this as a significant barrier, so long as manufacturers don't become very aggressive about the lockout. If it's just a "pairing" that people like Fenix can duplicate, fine. If they lock things down with encryption keys, that would be more of a problem.

tattoogunman said:
I'm also interested in the fact that so many of the EV owners that I talk to actually think they will be keeping their cars indefinitely, something I don't hear very often from other groups. That's not a jab at anyone, but given the kind of money we are talking about (in addition to mechanical issues obviously), it would just seem that trying to do this in the long run is going to cost more money than it's worth to keep the cars. If a lease option was available up front at the time of purchase (similar to what Renault offers on the Zoe), I think it would make much more sense. But again, seeing as how I may be picking up a Leaf this weekend, I am interested in seeing 3rd party companies stepping up to help out the EV community if the OEM abandons customers.

BUT...

This means you have to overlease to account for the degradation that happens before pack can be replaced, correct? iirc, Renault's battery warranty is nearly the same as LEAF. This is fine in my 160 mile LEAF but not so much in an 85 mile LEAF.

DaveinOlyWA said:
tattoogunman said:
I'm also interested in the fact that so many of the EV owners that I talk to actually think they will be keeping their cars indefinitely, something I don't hear very often from other groups. That's not a jab at anyone, but given the kind of money we are talking about (in addition to mechanical issues obviously), it would just seem that trying to do this in the long run is going to cost more money than it's worth to keep the cars. If a lease option was available up front at the time of purchase (similar to what Renault offers on the Zoe), I think it would make much more sense. But again, seeing as how I may be picking up a Leaf this weekend, I am interested in seeing 3rd party companies stepping up to help out the EV community if the OEM abandons customers.

BUT...

This means you have to overlease to account for the degradation that happens before pack can be replaced, correct? iirc, Renault's battery warranty is nearly the same as LEAF. This is fine in my 160 mile LEAF but not so much in an 85 mile LEAF.

If you mean continue paying (leasing) for the battery after the vehicle is paid for, then I suppose the answer is yes. In that scenario, it would be a peace of mind payment more than anything else. You continue paying X dollars/pounds a month for the battery and never have to worry about footing the entire $8500 (or however much a particular battery costs) bill should the pack go bad. If you kept the car long enough, I suppose whatever you paid a month would eventually cost you more than what a pack would have cost. But again, EV people are about the only people I talk to who claim that they plan on keeping their cars indefinitely and I just don't think that's overly realistic when you collectively look at how long people statistically keep their vehicles.

This is an edited post because a member pointed out that my post was unclear.

I completely disagree with the "Leasing" issue for EV batteries (from Nissan) from a company that has proprietary control on the product... When you lease those, just like a paying utilities and a cell phone, you DO NOT OWN IT.

I do want third party companies to give us all a choice of battery replacements, just like any other car maintenance items. I am not sure I would "lease" a battery from a third party, I would buy it... I prefer to maintain control over how my property is used. Leasing, to me, implies that I have something I do not OWN, and the contractual "owner" can take it away from me, or raise the price during the contract...

powersurge said:
... Would you go along for buying a car and LEASING the engine? Of course not.. Owning a car and controlling its destiny is one of a person's few personal pleasures and personal powers in our complicated world.
I might, for the right price, but probably not since they are very reliable. I don't see owning a car as a pleasure, but as an obligation. I do know that as soon as I can call an automated, fast, cheap, electric taxi service to take me door-to-door, I'm probably done owning a personal vehicle. They are an expensive nuisance.

powersurge said:
I completely disagree with the "Leasing" issue for EV batteries... When you lease those, just like a paying utilities and a cell phone, you DO NOT OWN IT.

In leasing batteries, you are giving up freedom for security, and the operation of your EV has suddenly become a commodity to be controlled and sold for a "friendly monthly fee". (I am talking about owning the car AND the battery - I don't care about people who lease the car, because they don't count). When the lease of a battery occurs, your monthly savings (EV vs ICE) has suddenly disappeared, and the EV becomes yet another of the so many things in our lives that we are forced to pay a monthly subscription.

I HATE monthly subscriptions. It is the noose around the first world's citizens, which will ultimately make us all merely compliant ignorant masses. I want to OWN my car, whatever it is, and I DECIDE what I buy, how much, and when I decide to spend on it. Would you go along for buying a car and LEASING the engine? Of course not.. Owning a car and controlling its destiny is one of a person's few personal pleasures and personal powers in our complicated world.

Given the Leaf's known issues with their battery, I'd be fine with paying a reasonable (stressed) monthly lease payment over facing an $8500 (or more if they continue to go up) replacement cost down the road. Especially since the consensus seems to be that this replacement is something many people are going to face. While an ICE can have major repair costs as well (like the engine, transmission, etc.), you can do more to mitigate those repairs than you can an EV's battery in my opinion. If I don't maintain my car by carrying out routine maintenance, I expect it to break down and that's entirely my fault. I can't control the fact that it's 110 degrees outside in the shade and it's going to adversely affect my car's battery through no fault of my own. I hate monthly charges as well, so don't get me wrong.

From what I know of Renault's program with their Zoe EV, people like you could absolutely buy the car with the battery included, but they offer the lease option to keep the initial cost of the car down and to provide peace of mind to people concerned about battery degradation - different strokes for different folks.

At least, with this option, you don't end up replacing a crappy Nissan designed battery pack with an equally crappy battery pack. If this Fenix Power pack has liquid cooling, TMS, and a modular design (which is their intention), then that should be far better than the original LEAF packs.

webb14leafs said:
Thank you for your responsiveness John. Your business is intriguing, but the cost seems excessive. Is it possible for the cost to go down as your business scales?

Over a 5 year period, the cost of a deposit plus monthly "premiums" is equivalent to a new battery pack (24kWhr), but over that time you will certainly not have provided an equivalent number of cells. You will have likely replaced anywhere from 20% to 50% of the individual cells. Finding enough car owners who 1 - Need or desire 100% of the original capacity for the entire period they own it, and 2 - Are willing to offset their fuel cost savings with a battery "subscription" service seems unlikely.

I wish you luck, but as an avid investor in new and emerging technologies and services, I'm lost. What am I missing.

I'm wondering if you see this as just the tip of the iceberg, and you are really just getting your foot in the door of what's to come. V2G, Micro-Grids, Energy Storage...

First, I think your estimate of 20-50% of cells replaced over 5 years is a pretty wide swath, so lets split that up into manageable bits. I think 20-30% is a fair assumption based on our research, but at the same time, I also think it's fair to say over 5 years our customers will have swapped 50% of their _modules_. At any given service event we will be replacing modules within a scored range of need, some for degradation, some for other metrics. All returned modules will go through a remanufacturing/reconditioning step and some of the individual cells will find their way back into re-use in EVs. Which leads me to:

Yes, it's the tip of the proverbial iceberg for our design. and a strong market entry point. There's a definite customer need, a manufacturer that turns it's back more and more each year, and an expectation by the customer that somehow an EV is unlike any vehicle type before it and should last forever. So it makes sense for us to bring the product to a market that's ripe for a solution, prove the solution in the real world, and then expand it to other points of use. Fixed-storage is a natural second market for EV batteries already and is a market we're planning for. As for V2G, the obstacles there are more political and legal than technical, I'm not sure we'll jump into that just yet.

And yes, we anticipate the cost to drop over time, insert typical economy of scale claim here. But to answer that more specifically, our cost has 4 major components we need to address out of the gate: The logistics of physically moving battery to/from the customer (this is not inexpensive!), the cost of a service event, module manufacturing costs, and backend service costs. We're expecting our early generation to effectively be upside down on our balance sheet, however, we have a road-map for scaling and cost reduction for each of those 4 areas and believe we can get there inside of 5 years once in production. (There are some pieces here I'm being purposefully vague here, apologies, but business is business.) Our long-term target monthly rate is to get to $1/kWh/month and still have operational margin.

I have to ask, you mention being an avid investor, I assume here you mean you manage your own investment portfolio with a lean on emerging tech? Or are you what the SEC refers to as an accredited investor? (If you're the latter, shoot me an email to [email protected], there's more detail I can share with you.) Pardon the ask, I'm a startup founder, never miss an opportunity! :)

Sorry to bug you so much, but I am really interested in this service. Not so much for what it is now, but what it could be in the future.
The cost of thermal battery management exceeds the monetary value of the avoided degradation. Replacing this initial cost with a “service” cost for ALL battery powered cars would be a real value. Assuming battery costs get to ~$100/kWhr, or lower, and the average passively managed battery loses 1-2kWhr of capacity per year, this becomes an affordable, viable and scalable solution.

Tesla could stop spending $3K-$7K (depending on what you read) on their battery cooling mechanism and off-load this cost to customers who are already accustomed to paying >$100/year on routine maintenance. Topping off your battery capacity could be the equivalent of swapping out your engine coolant or transmission fluid.

We are entering a battery powered world and those batteries will need to be maintained.

Don't apologize! What we're doing is different enough from other models we know that we have to explain and answer quite a bit. (And frankly this early into the conversation this is all very helpful when we start to scale our advertising dollar the message has to be much more clear than you see today.)

And yes, I think I addressed the cost reduction component in the answer just above this one. And you hit the nail on the hear about maintenance. A huge drive for me personally is for years I have been my own mechanic, and sure it helps I went to an automotive engineering school, but I believe cars need to be serviceable long after the manufacturer's warranty and support end. I have purchased many high mile cars over the years, for pennies on the dollar, and had great experiences with them and extended their lives sometimes more than decades. The way EVs are being built right now their batteries are anything but serviceable. Just removing them often takes more hardware than the average DIY mechanic has. Now for us, as a startup, to wave our hands wildly and try to get Tesla, Nissan, VW, or any other major manufacturer to stop and listen to us is largely an exercise in futility. However, if we demonstrate this serviceability in a very popular EV, we'll get their attention.

Of course, we believe that our solution is better than theirs, we're supposed to. But to anyone else, we have to prove it. I have spent the last 4 years hunting for a product model, interviewing customers, proposing various solutions and price points, and looking to see where customers respond the strongest to find a market entry point with the highest chance of success. We settled on this Leaf solution last winter and had planned on announcing next spring, but frankly, Nissan is darn near daring us to come to market faster. So we're going to try to.

I think EV owners recognize that aside from the battery, so very little else in the car fails. Various heaters and electronics notwithstanding, most of the traditional wear components in an ICE are simply non-existant, and the mundane ones that are, like brake pads, wear much more slowly. I think it's reasonable for them to assume that if the battery can be fixed, the car should last a few hundred thousand miles. But, I'm a bit biased here, I agree with them and want to make that happen. Consider this: Every year a vehicle is on the road longer used to mean there was the potential for more and worse emissions as the car aged. With EVs, every year it's on the road longer, is one less new car purchase (with its energy and environmental cost of manufacturing) and really the "tailpipe emissions" of a 1,000 mile EV and a 200,000 mile EV are (nearly) identical. Another personal motivator of mine: I want to help get the EV aftermarket/3rd party manufacturer party started, there's not enough going on in this space yet. This is why we're also developing a kit for converting 5th generation Corvettes to EV, building a complete kit that can be installed by the average garage mechanic is to demonstrate to the aftermarket world that things could be better than they are today.

I think it's more from a peace of mind perspective and it also reduces the initial purchase price of the vehicle. So for example, that $30K Leaf S is now $21,500 without you actually buying the pack and then you make a lease payment for the pack, etc. When/if the pack goes bad, you take it back to the dealer and have it swapped out no questions asked. That way you are not on the hook for an $8500 replacement battery, etc. I guess it just depends on what each individual purchaser wants to do you know?

YES! To outline that scenario further, your hypothetical $21,500 LEAF doesn't come with a battery and is now less expensive than ICE competitors. At the time of purchase, there's no "install fee" like we're currently including in the Leaf product we're offering, but instead, the car is designed to accept modules. You tell the dealer what kWh capacity you're looking for, 24, 30, 40, whatever, they put modules in, and you drive away. Now, when there's an issue with your battery, perhaps one module needs to be replaced, and 2 more are indicating they might need to be in the future, you go to your service center, they swap 3 modules, and you're on your way. But again, we need to get the attention of the manufacturers, so we're starting with aftermarket first.

Yes, and no. I've worked in tech for a very long time, and to get businesses to agree on an interoperable standard is a very tall order. You're quite right about the open source component, open standards do much better than closed standards, but when you go too open, you also slow down development and risk fracturing standards. That said, we're working towards nearly what you're describing. Much of our development has been seeking ways to make interoperability work. There are some more details here I wish I could expand on, but we're not quite ready to share them yet. And I say "no" here because I disagree about the serial numbers and computers piece, quite the opposite, in much the same way that your cell phone is effectively a computer, has multiple unique identifying numbers yet still can interoperate across multiple carriers, batteries will need this too. (Hint: I spent nearly 2 decades building next-generation wireless networks.)

I HATE monthly subscriptions. It is the noose around the first world's citizens, which will ultimately make us all merely compliant ignorant masses. I want to OWN my car, whatever it is, and I DECIDE what I buy, how much, and when I decide to spend on it. Would you go along for buying a car and LEASING the engine? Of course not..

The irony here is I too loathe the micro-payment world we live in. But you're looking at leasing the wrong part of the car in your argument. Let me explain, in an ICE how much do you OWN the gasoline? Do you own the gasoline you already burned? Of course not. You just leased the gasoline long enough to convert it's stored energy into moving energy. We view battery the same way. Batteries are the storage method and have no less business being a car part than gasoline does. So we're de-coupling that from the car. Now I know this model won't attract everyone, yet, so you're not going to hear me tell you "you're wrong" here. For the last 20 years every car I've bought has been past warrant, cash, and serviced only by me. I really do get it. But for many, this solution will make sense. For example one of my best friends, who I convinced to lease a leaf 6 years ago and is now on his 2nd lease said to me "I'm tired of cars that are needy, I just want to subscribe to a car, have it in my garage, drive it only where I want to go and that's it." He's exactly the opposite of you and me, and he's closer to what our customers are.

At least, with this option, you don't end up replacing a crappy Nissan designed battery pack with an equally crappy battery pack. If this Fenix Power pack has liquid cooling, TMS, and a modular design (which is their intention), then that should be far better than the original LEAF packs.

I'm just simply going to say "thank you!" to that. :D

alozzy said:
@powersurge Not sure, but I'm getting the impression that you're not a fan of this idea

;)

Absolute NOT.... I LOVE the idea that there are independent people finding new solutions to the problem of battery replacement... I would definitely be a customer of your company....

What I was against, and I will edit my previous post, is where the Nissan company does not allow others the ability to change the battery, and then want to "lease" the battery to all Nissan customers. If I OWN my car and decide to replace MY battery with a third party battery, then I CHOOSE who to buy or lease from. That is my problem with the current Leaf batteries... That they are proprietary, and controlled by Nissan...

powersurge said:
alozzy said:
@powersurge Not sure, but I'm getting the impression that you're not a fan of this idea

;)

Absolute NOT.... I LOVE the idea that there are independent people finding new solutions to the problem of battery replacement... I would definitely be a customer of your company....

What I was against, and I will edit my previous post, is where the Nissan company does not allow others the ability to change the battery, and then want to "lease" the battery to all Nissan customers. If I OWN my car and decide to replace MY battery with a third party battery, then I CHOOSE who to buy or lease from. That is my problem with the current Leaf batteries... That they are proprietary, and controlled by Nissan...

Nissan isn't the only company maintaining proprietary control over their hardware and batteries though, but I see where you are coming from. The biggest issue is the one we've already talked about - there just isn't a 3rd party option for EV packs (what Fenix is trying to do notwithstanding), so you don't really have a choice in the matter if you need a replacement pack (for now at least).

powersurge said:
alozzy said:

;)

Well, I get what you're saying, so no worries here. But we are exploring the pricing of a combination of full-purchase and a smaller subscription cost for the service, this isn't the first time that people have expressed an interest in just outright buying our solution. It is worth noting though, that to do so there won't be cost savings over Nissan's newly raised pack replacement costs. We believe there will be more value, but with the tech we're developing, it's not going to be much lower than the $8500 seen in the other thread. What we're intending to provide is the least cost prohibitive method, which is the basic install cost, and a subscription, but we're investigating two other possibilities:

An outright purchase option, in this case, the pack will function just like the stock pack, but to enjoy the benefits of our service, a smaller, reasonable monthly cost can be chosen as well. This may or may not include the cost of labor for swapping modules that need to be replaced for those opting into the service. It's possible we'll offer both methods, some DIY types may wish full control, including install. Our module design has features that make it much more human-serviceable than other battery solutions. For example, when not installed in a pack, the high voltage connections are inert, making the module completely safe to handle.

An amortized purchase option, the monthly subscription would be higher for a period of time to pay off the pack, and once paid off, the owner would have the option to continue the service at the same lower cost discussed just above. We estimate around $200 per month for 3-4 years, but there are some unknowns here, usually in a case like this you leverage a company to underwrite the payoff, and we haven't started exploring the ramifications of this just yet. We should have the details of both of these options solved in the months before we get to production so look for that information around the beginning of summer 2019.

Thank you for the reply. I wish you and your business well.

For feedback purposes; we would be interested in something along the the line of a 25 percent increase to our existing pack. Say 10 to 12 KWh , added to our existing pack. We would not be interested in any sort of lease but rather a straight out purchase.

Kudos to you and your team. Wishing you success on all fronts.

John and Angela.

webeleafowners said:
Thank you for the reply. I wish you and your business well.

For feedback purposes; we would be interested in something along the the line of a 25 percent increase to our existing pack. Say 10 to 12 KWh , added to our existing pack. We would not be interested in any sort of lease but rather a straight out purchase.

Kudos to you and your team. Wishing you success on all fronts.

John and Angela.

I appreciate the good wishes, it's been a ton of work to get this far, and much more to go still.

I've been hearing the range increase ask quite a bit, and while it's on our roadmap, as I've said above, we're being careful not to promise it just yet. But the ask from you and literally a hundred others I've spoken with is "more". 3 years ago I shopped around the idea of just a battery expansion product, removable, same modules (because if it's removable, humans have to be able to move them easily) but what I found was that the cost/benefit was just not compelling enough for that kind of product alone.

Consider the following: 25% of a 30kWh pack adds a little more than 30 miles and about 8kWh (the 12kWh you mention above is a 40% increase.) The best case cost estimate we put together for a 6kWh increase (only 20% and about 22 miles) and looked like our cost would be close to $3,000 and retail for a significant amount more. The reactions we got at that pricing were that it was too much for too little gain.

It was through this above product research, along with about a half dozen others, that we realized that something has to be done about the cost. Battery cost has a negative impact at the initial purchase (and will likely prevent a decent range sub $20k new car for a very long time), it's amazingly expensive to replace when it gets tired and can effectively make a car valueless when the cost of replacement is more than the car's value. So this is where the seeds of our Battery as a Service model was born. But pitching this model to folks like you has its challenges, it gets compared with a Lease, people want to own it, etc. So one more thought experiment for you:

How do you watch movies at home today? When is the last time you actually bought a DVD or a BluRay? For the most part that began to fade when Netflix started mailing discs, and went away nearly completely when streaming media was available on nearly everything. Right now, we believe, car batteries are in the movie-media 1990s. People are buying their batteries, using them until they're "dead", and then buying new ones. In the 90's many people bought 100's of dollars in movies, and when they had watched them all, they bought more. Today you spend about $80/year on a subscription, and you get the newest, best movies, whenever, and wherever you want. You stopped caring about going to the store to get a movie, or worrying that the kids will scratch them all up and you'll have to buy them again if you loved them. We're going to do that with your batteries. Let us worry about the upkeep, and stop worrying about your car's value tanking because they need to be replaced. You never "leased" movies, not in the individual sense, and with our model, you won't be leasing the battery either.

You may want to own your battery right now, but give us a few years, you'll see why you never want to own one again.

I hope you don't mind the added pitch, I would be remiss if I let it pass. :)

The timing on this is perfect for me. I have a 2015 leaf S with QC that just lost its first bar and I anticipate having trouble making my daily winter commute over the next year or two (I am already cutting it close on cold mornings where I have to defrost). Not to mention my battery will probably be out of warranty due to me hitting 60k miles next winter. I have been exploring options like battery replacement, stopping to charge every day on my way to work (a hassle but manageable), or trading in my current leaf on a 2018+ leaf or other BEV.

I am intrigued enough that I put down a deposit on your website this morning... Given the current options of an $8500 24kWh replacement pack or spending $30k on a new car (minus the tax credit and equity in my current vehicle) I think a <$100 per month subscription service may be the best deal. My current leaf has had 0 issues aside from replacing tires and windshield wipers and I already have things like a tow hitch, aftermarket speakers, 6-month old tires, and other things installed on it that I'd like to keep. Plus it'll be paid off soon...

I do want to stress that being able to install a larger 30kWh (or more) capacity pack will make this a no-brainer for me. The only real advantages a 2018+ leaf hold for me are looks and range. I am ambivalent towards the pro-pilot stuff and e-pedal. I tried them out, they are cool, but given my 95% highway commute each day they don't do much for me that b-mode, cruise control, and paying attention don't already accomplish. The 30kWh pack would not only expand my range to nearby cities and reduce the number of times I need to charge, but the extra capacity would also allow me to almost exclusively charge at the dealer QC station for free (which will offset $25 a month or so of the pack lease cost).

I also have solar panels on the roof and would love to be able to use the leaf as a battery backup in case of extended power outages (we do get hurricanes from time to time). So a larger pack paired with some sort of V2G would be very attractive for me.

I hope y'all make this work, I think it'll breathe new life into a lot of Gen1 leaf's that are great cars aside from their limited range. And I hope you are able to expand into home storage or V2G because I am interested in both even if I can't get a net-metered TOU plan from my power company.

I am only a 3hr drive from Raleigh and 5hr drive from Charlotte and have friends in both cities so if Y'all end up in one of those metros (like you suggest on your webpage) I'd definitely roll out that way and check out the operation (assuming you'll have a showroom/demo setup). I'd especially like to see one of those corvettes in person.

golfcart said:
I also have solar panels on the roof and would love to be able to use the leaf as a battery backup in case of extended power outages (we do get hurricanes from time to time). So a larger pack paired with some sort of V2G would be very attractive for me.

I hope y'all make this work, I think it'll breathe new life into a lot of Gen1 leaf's that are great cars aside from their limited range. And I hope you are able to expand into home storage or V2G because I am interested in both even if I can't get a net-metered TOU plan from my power company.

My company (a large EPC engineering firm) is supporting an internal initiative focused on V2G as a "disruptive" influence on EV adoption (among others). My personal opinion is that any such "disruption" will be amplified by V2H/V2G combined via use of the EVs battery for both backup AND energy arbitrage to provide additional economic incentives. We will likely see indications over the next few years if this is true!

golfcart - look carefully at Pika Energy's offerings - they are quite close to home use of EV batteries, but for a number of (good) reasons cannot focus on a commercial offering.

johnBysinger - You might PM me about our initiative - possibility of mutual benefits.

Marktm said:
golfcart - look carefully at Pika Energy's offerings - they are quite close to home use of EV batteries, but for a number of (good) reasons cannot focus on a commercial offering.

I'll check them out and see what they offer. Thanks.

As an aside, I actually misspoke above, Dominion Virginia Power does offer a net metered TOU plan. However, we only pay 11.5 c/kWh and the net metered TOU plan is loaded with extremely high "demand" charges such that it doesn't make a lot of economic sense for me to have a separate battery backup all the time... so being able to plug the car into the house to store solar power and run the house when the power goes out is my big goal. I basically want to get rid of the loud propane generator that just takes up space in my garage and only gets used once every couple of years.

I see the appeal of having a subscription model for batteries, however the stated price of $200/ month service contract for a Leaf battery would be out of the question for me.... That is what I used to spend on gas with my ICE. I could also lease a brand new Leaf for $300 or so..

Another way we Leaf owners could go would be for us all to do what Americans do when they don't like something... Blame the government.... The government wanted us to buy EVs, and has lulled us into a false sense of security by giving the $7500+ tax refunds. I would not have bought my Leaf at full price, especially since the EV is in its infancy stage....

So thanks to the government, (if the future maintenance and owning of my Leaf is so unsure), I want the government to pay for my new battery. They MADE me buy the damn thing to begin with!!! (So how does that sound as an argument to get free batteries?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back