Faint gear like noise at low speeds.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay i replace the passenger side CV axle. I got to say it was a pain in the butt to get the cv bearing wheel on the passenger side off the bearing support bracket. If anyone does this the best way is to remove the support bracket and then gently hammer and slide it out, with the whole axial. Even with a hammer slide there is no way you could get my cv out if it is stuck on the bearing bracket. There's definitely a big difference in sound. It is not as loud but now I can hear it from the other side. Which I didn't replace both of them. But the best thing I found is my miles per kwh has gone up a lot. Like from round 3.8 to around close to 5. Most of my driving is around 30 to 40 miles an hour. This could be really interesting if people are getting lower miles per kw in older leafs and can't figure out why. I know it takes a little bit of time to redo the average but I've redone the average after I switched out a bunch of parts just last week and then this weekend.

I'm going to do the other side this weekend takes about a week to get the part in from RockAuto and then see if it totally gets rid of it. Even if it doesn't it gotten so much quieter now (not that it was loud) it really is not going to matter. I almost don't even want to do the other side but why not.

Was at a dealer for other reasons and had them check the noise today. It took some time for them to even notice it. They think it is the traction motor, but they said it is hard to pinpoint the source exactly so could be the reduction gear too, basically the noise was coming from the motor area when they lifted the car, so not a CV joint which is consistent with the symptoms as turning the wheels doesn't make the noise louder. Given a new traction motor is a $9.5k job the recommendation was to just drive the car until things get worse, which I'm going to follow to the letter.

I replaced my other cv axial. Still have the continuous clicking at low speeds. Everything has been replaced from the wheels to the reduction gear. So I agree either the motor or gear is making the noise. This is as far as I am going on this issue too.

The dealer mechanic I spoke with said they've done several failed traction motors replacements under warranty, makes me wonder how much time do I have left on mine.

I have 90K on mine right now with 12 bars. Going to be a big let down if the motor fails before anything else. Was hoping to have this car for a while. Now I am going to have to wait and see. Keep me updated if anything changes with the traction motor.

Valdemar said:
Was at a dealer for other reasons and had them check the noise today. It took some time for them to even notice it. They think it is the traction motor, but they said it is hard to pinpoint the source exactly so could be the reduction gear too, basically the noise was coming from the motor area when they lifted the car, so not a CV joint which is consistent with the symptoms as turning the wheels doesn't make the noise louder. Given a new traction motor is a $9.5k job the recommendation was to just drive the car until things get worse, which I'm going to follow to the letter.

Hi All!
3 months ago I bought a nissan leaf 1 mk2 of 10/2015 which currently has 35k miles. From the first day I noticed a noise similar to that described by Valdemar, where at low speeds( 20-40 km/h) with windows closed and the radio turned off I hear a continuos noise "ta ta ta" only when I accelerate forward. Accelerating for back (Mode R) does not make the noise. Whenever I take my foot off the accelerator the noise stops.
I leave a video I made today. Look at the acceleration and regeneration engine chart and see how the noise does only when i accelerate.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EMTWWZoYgSaUQgJA6

I Would like to know if the noise is similar to yours and what is your opinion? Do you think it could be the gear reduction or the traction motor?
I already went to the official nissan representative this week where I made the 4 year revision in advance because of this problem and the diagnosis is not easy. They have seen everything, the axles,wheels, grips, lubrication and apparently everything is fine. They said that the next step will be to replace the gear oil , which is a bit dark and if it remains, it may be necessary to remove the gear to see its condition.

I can't isolate the noise you're describing in the video when watching on my phone. In my case first I noticed was a sound at very low speeds like 2-4 mph, which sounded like old gear working if you can imagine that, sort of hearing how gear teeth engage. Over last 40k miles that sound became louder and now I hear a hum-like low frequency noise at freeway speeds I mentioned above, it's not there when I let go off the accelerator pedal. Given the sound frequency it does sound like gears.

The good news (for me) is that this is a very slow process and it may take another 50k miles before it actually becomes a real issue, and at 200k miles on the odometer my Leafy will have fully served is purpose and will be disposed of without hesitation.

LeftieBiker said:
I can't hear it in the video either, watching it on a PC with an Altec Lansing speaker dock as my sound system.

Thanks for the feedback. In my lg v30 plus smartphone its so clear the sound and the noise " ta ta ta ta"! In the video give special attention in climbing from 1minute and 50 seconds. See in the motor graphic when i accelerate the noise appear and when the motor regenerate the sound disapear. For me is so clear...Thanks.

corrisi said:
LeftieBiker said:
I can't hear it in the video either, watching it on a PC with an Altec Lansing speaker dock as my sound system.

Thanks for the feedback. In my lg v30 plus smartphone its so clear the sound and the noise " ta ta ta ta"! In the video give special attention in climbing from 1minute and 50 seconds. See in the motor graphic when i accelerate the noise appear and when the motor regenerate the sound disapear. For me is so clear...Thanks.

Lol, I can hear it and I have 90% hearing loss in one ear, and using crappy earbuds. :lol:

Anyway it does seem to match wheel RPM. I guess the gear oil is worth a try; at least you can inspect for any unusual wear metals. Just for shits and giggles, give the tires a good inspection. I have seen "similar mystery noises" arise from stones or other objects embedded in the tire tread. Or even from internal tire damage. For that last hypothesis you could try a tire rotation to see if the noise changes in quality or location.

I was paying extra close attention when the motor power rose, but didn't hear anything I was sure wasn't background noise. I'll give it another try, when I have time.

Nubo said:
corrisi said:
LeftieBiker said:

Lol, I can hear it and I have 90% hearing loss in one ear, and using crappy earbuds. :lol:

Anyway it does seem to match wheel RPM. I guess the gear oil is worth a try; at least you can inspect for any unusual wear metals. Just for shits and giggles, give the tires a good inspection. I have seen "similar mystery noises" arise from stones or other objects embedded in the tire tread. Or even from internal tire damage. For that last hypothesis you could try a tire rotation to see if the noise changes in quality or location.

Thanks for the replay!
This week when my car was in revision in Nissan they put 4 new tires of a Nissan 40kw to test, but sadly the noise remain.
Do you think that could be a problem in front wheel bearing hubs? I think in nissan they up the car and test that hipothesis rotating the tires. Best regards.

LeftieBiker said:
I tried again and still don't hear it. I have mild to moderate tinnitus, and maybe that masks it.

No problems. You must hear in a place with total silence other wise its dificult to hear the noise. As I said before from 1 minute and 50 seconds, in climbing its clear the noise. Best regards.

corrisi said:
LeftieBiker said:

Ok, that helped. It is nothing like the noise my car makes as yours seem to happen once per wheel revolution and mine is many times per wheel revolution, so at the speeds you were driving it becames hum-like noise, individual clicks cannot be heard. I kind of doubt the sound you hear is reduction gear related, but you never know.

Valdemar said:
corrisi said:
LeftieBiker said:

Ok, that helped. It is nothing like the noise my car makes as yours seem to happen once per wheel revolution and mine is many times per wheel revolution, so at the speeds you were driving it becames hum-like noise, individual clicks cannot be heard. I kind of doubt the sound you hear is reduction gear related, but you never know.

Thanks Valdemar. If it is a problem in the reduction gear is there any possibility of repair or simply has to be new? Technically it is assuming that it is a problem of the gear as it is explained that only it does in acceleration? Best regards.

It can be a dozen different things. If it is the gear I don't think your dealer will want to mess with the internals, they'll just swap the whole unit.

Valdemar said:
It can be a dozen different things. If it is the gear I don't think your dealer will want to mess with the internals, they'll just swap the whole unit.

Yes, i understand. Next step will be change the gear oil and see what happens. When i have new informations about my case i will post. Many thanks.

Back