TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GlennD said:
Networks matter to some. My dentist purchased a Tesla to drive to San Francisco. Me I am happy with my Mercedes B's L2 charging. I recently did my annual check strictly by time; My mileage was less than 4000 miles. It is my sole car but as a retired person I do not drive a lot.
It does depend on one's situation. I, too, have just one car and am also long-retired but I average 20,000 miles a year. Some of it is 70 mile grocery shopping trips, a part of rural living, but most of the miles are long road trips. Haven't been on an airliner in years — I'd like to keep it that way — but I do enjoy exploring the country on road trips, such as a 3100 mile trip to California last month, and I have used the Supercharger network more than 260 times in 2½ years. For me, Tesla makes road trips fun!

45603078321_3a25f11962_z.jpg

30662228947_a756e95087_z.jpg

^ The winding road along the Dolores River in western Colorado.

44689408225_08cec2f236_z.jpg

^ Tower Arch, Arches National Park in southeastern Utah, taken yesterday.

It is great if you like to travel. Me I am a stay at home type. Tesla makes since when you consider the Supercharger network.

I see that there was a reply but I have GRA on my ignore list. I am much happier. He is a great spammer!

lorenfb said:
https://insideevs.com/

VW Claims By 2020, Its Electric Cars Will Match Tesla At Half Price

When the "competition" promises they'll start competing in 2 years, they are not really the "competition."

Also, will the SEC investigate VW for misleading investors if they don't release an EV for $25K in 2020?

webb14leafs said:
lorenfb said:
https://insideevs.com/

VW Claims By 2020, Its Electric Cars Will Match Tesla At Half Price

When the "competition" promises they'll start competing in 2 years, they are not really the "competition."

Also, will the SEC investigate VW for misleading investors if they don't release an EV for $25K in 2020?

I hear the new VW EV has a secret hidden ICE motor.

webb14leafs said:
These arguments will keep going on for a while because after the next couple quarters (or possibly sooner) it might be a long time before Tesla reports another profit. It was vital for them to show that they COULD show a profit, because the next thing they need to do is build up a ton of debt as soon as possible.
That is not what they are doing. They will continue to make profits every quarter until most of the shorts disappear, TSLA is part of S&P500 and they have good investment grade credit rating.

Besides, they have other avenues of raising money. Mainly from local governments/banks. They already did so in China. They'll do it again in EU. Even in US, they'll make it a condition to locate their next factory - raise money for us thr' state bonds.

GlennD said:
Networks matter to some. My dentist purchased a Tesla to drive to San Francisco. Me I am happy with my Mercedes B's L2 charging. I recently did my annual check strictly by time; My mileage was less than 4000 miles. It is my sole car but as a retired person I do not drive a lot.
Charging network is just a nice to have for me. Currently the overall package of Model 3 is hard to beat. Esp, once the SR becomes available.

Even if you don't want to use the supercharging network, why would you go out of the way to buy a different EV that isn't better in any respect ? That is why I've always said, the only way others can really compete with Model 3 is on price.

Its been a while since we heard much about Infiniti EV, so lets call it what it is. Nissan/infiniti didn't build an EV because they simply couldn't build anything that could effectively compete with a Tesla.

I am waiting for a basic car with color as the only option. It may never happen but if you believe Elon it will happen in 6 months or so. I received an Email offering a car with an intermediate range battery. It was still 47K. , not 37K

evnow said:
webb14leafs said:
These arguments will keep going on for a while because after the next couple quarters (or possibly sooner) it might be a long time before Tesla reports another profit. It was vital for them to show that they COULD show a profit, because the next thing they need to do is build up a ton of debt as soon as possible.
That is not what they are doing. They will continue to make profits every quarter until most of the shorts disappear, TSLA is part of S&P500 and they have good investment grade credit rating.

Besides, they have other avenues of raising money. Mainly from local governments/banks. They already did so in China. They'll do it again in EU. Even in US, they'll make it a condition to locate their next factory - raise money for us thr' state bonds.

Not sure if you're disagreeing or just pointing out where there debt will come from. I agree they will have an easy time borrowing money, but their cash burn will exceed their profits once they start manufacturing new plants. This isn't really an arguable point.

A perfect excuse to delay once again. I guess Elon is not the only one with "issues".

https://insideevs.com/nissan-postpones-launch-60-kwh-leaf-e-plus/

The Tesla Model 3 is killing the competition, although the 60 kWh LEAF may have been moribund regardless due to battery supply and cost issues.

cwerdna said:
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1066844231132696578 from 4:01 PM - 25 Nov 2018
Elon Musk tells #AxiosOnHBO that Tesla was within single-digit weeks of dying @hbodocs

Yep, I believe it. As Tesla said before, the Model 3 was a "bet the company" product.
With the incredibly rough ramp up to 5k/week things got very close.

Fortunately, I don't believe any future products will also be "bet the company" products and I hear there are a few low cost auto factories soon coming on the market ;)

Carlos may have been thrown under a bus and I have genuine sympathy for all the GM folks about to lose their jobs.

That said, there’s some genuine irony that for years the internet chatter has been:

1) Elon Musk is an actual fraud
2) PHEVs make much more sense than BEVs and will prevail.
3) Tesla can’t make a profit on the Model 3
4) Once the “big guys” in the auto business decide to, they can just spit out products that will crush Tesla.

In reality:

1) Carlos Ghosn & Rupert Stadler are in jail.
2) GM just cancelled the Volt after years of slow sales combined with high incentives.
3) Tesla is actually generating a legitimate profit and free cash flow now that capex has slowed.
4) The I-Pace arrived with 235 miles of range out of a 90 kWh pack, the eTron is still missing in action, and Nissan is having a helluva time putting out a 60 kWh battery pack in a car that rides on an eight year old chassis coming down an existing high volume assembly line.

Rivian also looks to be potentially legit and might blindside the Detroit 3 profit centers if they execute.

mtndrew1 said:
Carlos may have been thrown under a bus and I have genuine sympathy for all the GM folks about to lose their jobs.

That said, there’s some genuine irony that for years the internet chatter has been:

1) Elon Musk is an actual fraud
2) PHEVs make much more sense than BEVs and will prevail.
3) Tesla can’t make a profit on the Model 3
4) Once the “big guys” in the auto business decide to, they can just spit out products that will crush Tesla.

In reality:

1) Carlos Ghosn & Rupert Stadler are in jail.
2) GM just cancelled the Volt after years of slow sales combined with high incentives.
3) Tesla is actually generating a legitimate profit and free cash flow now that capex has slowed.
4) The I-Pace arrived with 235 miles of range out of a 90 kWh pack, the eTron is still missing in action, and Nissan is having a helluva time putting out a 60 kWh battery pack in a car that rides on an eight year old chassis coming down an existing high volume assembly line.

Rivian also looks to be potentially legit and might blindside the Detroit 3 profit centers if they execute.

Agreed but I question Rivian's price in the end, although many ICE trucks are very pricy. The styling could be better IMO but it's another option:)

Tonight (12/9/18), there's supposed to be an interview w/Elon Musk on 60 Minutes. Set your TiVos, DVRs, etc. to record it. (I have a One Pass for the show on my TIVo Bolt+.)

Back