Model S without quick charge port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc777

Buying a 2018 Leaf, but want to be sure I understand its limitations.

WIthout the QC port I'll be limited to trickle charge 120 volt only?

... despite the Model S having a 6.6kw charger?

I live in an apartment, where I will be limited to 120 volts, but in
a few years I hope to have access to 240 volts.

Any way to charge at 6.6 kw without the supercharger port?

I see a lot of aftermarket cables, chargers, etc. and was wondering
if any of them would allow a non-SC port Leaf with 6.6 charger to charge faster than trickle.

Thanks for any help understanding this,

You will be able to use 208-240 volt level two charging. I'm not sure if the 2018 S has a 6.6kw or 3.3kw charger onboard, but in either case you can charge much faster than L-1. Both L-1 and L-2 charging stations and cables use the same port to charge.

Thanks for the quick response , its starting to make more sense.

( Model S does have a 6.6 kw charger onboard )

So, L1 and L2 are available without quick charge port

but I'd need the quick charge port option for anything faster

feeling better about it, dont think I'd often use or need to charge fast.

Long as it can top off the battery while I sleep.

Even the old 3.3kw charger could recharge the car from empty to full overnight. The main advantage with the 6.6 is that it's faster for "opportunity charging" away from home. QC is useful mainly for recharging during long road trips.

LeftieBiker said:
Even the old 3.3kw charger could recharge the car from empty to full overnight. The main advantage with the 6.6 is that it's faster for "opportunity charging" away from home. QC is useful mainly for recharging during long road trips.

Yup, my 2015 that I picked up over the weekend has the 6.6, but I've just been using level 1 to charge it at night and it's been more than enough. There are a few free level 2 chargers in my area (one right around the corner from my house) if I ever feel the need.

LeftieBiker said:
I have the new Nissan 120/240 EVSE at work in my garage - as a second L-1 station. One of these days...

I need to petition the school district (or PTSA) that I work for to put in an EV charging station. At my school there are two of us that own Leafs and plenty of the rich parents have Teslas, so it would be win win for everyone :D

LeftieBiker said:
You will be able to use 208-240 volt level two charging. I'm not sure if the 2018 S has a 6.6kw or 3.3kw charger onboard, but in either case you can charge much faster than L-1. Both L-1 and L-2 charging stations and cables use the same port to charge.

There is no options on level 2 charging for 2018. They are all 6.6

OP; it is critical to learn and use correct terminology.

Quick charge ONLY refers to DC charging. Level 1 or 120 volts AC is trickle charging and Level 2; 240 volts AC is level 2 charging.

With respect to terminology, when you are new to EVs it's totally understandable. Here are a few corrections to help you out:

Any way to charge at 6.6 kw without the supercharger port?

The supercharger moniker is a Tesla thing. Nissan refers to L2 charging as "normal charging" and calls the J1772 port the "normal charge port". The J1772 "normal" port is included on all trim levels and lets you charge at L1 (trickle charging) and L2 (normal charging) EVSEs.

I see a lot of aftermarket cables, chargers, etc. and was wondering if any of them would allow a non-SC port Leaf with 6.6 charger to charge faster than trickle

The correct term for the L1/L2 device that you connect an EV to is "EVSE", not charger. The actual charger for L1/L2 charging is built into the car and you'll usually see that refered to as the OBC on these forums. To further confuse matters, when doing DC quick charging at a DCQC station, that device is actually a charger.

My understanding is that US market 2018 LEAFs, in the S trim level, include a trickle charge only EVSE (L1 only). On higher trims, you get the combination L1/L2 EVSE. However, if you live in Canada, then all trim levels include the combination EVSE.

alozzy said:
My understanding is that US market 2018 LEAFs, in the S trim level, include a trickle charge only EVSE (L1 only). On higher trims, you get the combination L1/L2 EVSE. However, if you live in Canada, then all trim levels include the combination EVSE.
Actually, here in the US, the 2018 Leaf S w/ Charging Package includes the portable L1/L2 EVSE. That's what I got. :D

alozzy said:

S Trim gets it with charge package

SV gets it with tech package

SL gets it standard.

alozzy said:
Does the base S also include the combination EVSE, or is it L1 only?
For the US, per https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2018-nissan-leaf-press-kit and the Specs tab there, L1/L2 EVSE is only included standard on the '18 SL. For S and SV, the L1/L2 EVSE are part of packages (search for 240) so if you don't get that, you'll only get the L1 120 volt EVSE.

For model year 2019 at https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2019-nissan-leaf-press-kit, seems to be the same deal.

Back