Self Driving Leaf (1st Gen) - Electronic Controls?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkhilles

I have OBSESSED about self driving since I first heard about it a decade ago and have wanted one ever since. I have found my way to follow Comma AI which has Open Source code to use AI and the rear camera for processing as well as the front camera to monitor your head movement similar to the way GM's SuperCruise works.

So, what I want to know is this: does the First Gen Leaf have the ability to be steered and/or braked electronically? Any documentation on the CAN instructions? I'm sure that it was dissected completely to work with Leaf Spy.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Unlikely. The cars that can be retrofitted with Comma.ai system have a lane keep assist system. The gen 1 leaf did not have this, neither did the gen 2. Only the recent Leafs with propilot have this.

Thanks guys! I'm planning on it being a long, long term project but since I love the Leaf and don't want to have to decide between the Leaf and an assisted-driving vehicle I think it's worth the effort.

In theory, if the Leaf accepts control electronically (and doesn't have crazy encryption or whatever), it SHOULD work. The vehicle's camera is no longer used as part of the input (instead it uses the camera built into the EON) leaving the radar as the only input that isn't there. I may never get it to where it does any sort of braking (unless Comma finds alternative ways) but if I can get it to where I can control the Leaf's steering, then it should be do-able to incorporate into the build.

I'll do my best - I'm no electrical engineer but instead a data-based developer, but we'll have to see how it goes. Fingers Crossed.

I think any attempt to home brew and operate a self driving car on public roads is Irresponsible in the Extreme..
Wrong Headed, Ignorant and Just Plain Stupid. F'ing stupid doesn't begin to cover my contempt for the idea.
The fact that you are proposing this with the first gen Leaf.. shows how little you understand about the cars
and I am quite willing to gratuitiously extrapolate that to the whole concept.

Car makers with billion dollar budgets are struggling to work the bugs out of this..
Trying to do this alone is a classic example of The Confidence born of Not Knowing What You Don't Know.
For which there is psychological model that won a Nobel Prize.

Classic Darwin's List material.. with collateral damage on a grand and terrifying scale awaits.

This reminds me of nothing more than the old air force sargent I knew who was a meat ball shade tree mechanic( at best)
who arrives at my airport talking about building a Benson Gyro Copter.

Despite being surrounded by a dozen extremely skilled pilots, mechanics and AC builders,
the guy could not be persuaded that his dream machine was a piece of crap without much engineering
integrity, and even less flying capability Despite a fatality record that is public and extensive.

I hope this tread dies right here.
Before some person does. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :cry: :oops:

blimpy said:
I think any attempt to home brew and operate a self driving car on public roads is Irresponsible in the Extreme..
Wrong Headed, Ignorant and Just Plain Stupid. F'ing stupid doesn't begin to cover my contempt for the idea.
The fact that you are proposing this with the first gen Leaf.. shows how little you understand about the cars
and I am quite willing to gratuitiously extrapolate that to the whole concept.

Car makers with billion dollar budgets are struggling to work the bugs out of this..
Trying to do this alone is a classic example of The Confidence born of Not Knowing What You Don't Know.
For which there is psychological model that won a Nobel Prize.

Classic Darwin's List material.. with collateral damage on a grand and terrifying scale awaits.

This reminds me of nothing more than the old air force sargent I knew who was a meat ball shade tree mechanic( at best)
who arrives at my airport talking about building a Benson Gyro Copter.

Despite being surrounded by a dozen extremely skilled pilots, mechanics and AC builders,
the guy could not be persuaded that his dream machine was a piece of crap without much engineering
integrity, and even less flying capability Despite a fatality record that is public and extensive.

I hope this tread dies right here.
Before some person does. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :cry: :oops:

Um, okay dude. The Comma AI system is far superior to the Honda and Toyota packages that come FROM THE FACTORY in EVERY new model. Things like Radar and emergency braking is a GOOD thing. The only part I'd do is translate the "steer left" and "steer right" commands.

Have you need seen the drivers of today? Cars are in autopilot RIGHT NOW but without computers watching: people staring at their screens while driving. You don't trust a routine to identify lane markings and brake when the car in front does, but you DO trust those idiot human beings you see on the road everyday. Okay, whatever man...

Back