hrustar
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2018
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Extended Warranty opinions ...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:47 am

I purchased a 2015 Leaf SV last night. 16k miles all in Minnesota, 93% SOH (leafspy). So, it seems to check out. I also purchased an extended warranty that covers just about everything but the consumable items. This includes the 24kw battery.If it falls bellow 75%, they replace. Paid just over $2,000 for 9 years of coverage starting today. Thoughts?

I know the battery already has 8 years of coverage, but my wife likes having all the other items like the Navigation, Bose system, electric motor components etc covered.

Wondering what the opinions are of experienced leaf owners.

cwerdna
Posts: 11312
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Extended Warranty opinions ...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 am

Where are you located? Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.
hrustar wrote:I purchased a 2015 Leaf SV last night. 16k miles all in Minnesota, 93% SOH (leafspy). So, it seems to check out. I also purchased an extended warranty that covers just about everything but the consumable items. This includes the 24kw battery.If it falls bellow 75%, they replace. Paid just over $2,000 for 9 years of coverage starting today. Thoughts?

I know the battery already has 8 years of coverage
, but my wife likes having all the other items like the Navigation, Bose system, electric motor components etc covered.

Wondering what the opinions are of experienced leaf owners.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If one charges at 1 kW (or 1000 watts) for 6 hours, 6 kWh came out of the wall. If it's at 6 kW for 1 hour, it's also 6 kWh. If it's 1 watt for 6000 hours, it's also 6 kWh.

One pays for electricity at home in cents per kWh. There are a few utilities w/residential plans where they not only bill per kWh but also have demand charges, but that's rare and complicates calculations. (Demand charges aren't unusual on many commercial plans.)

What company is providing this warranty? How are they determining 75%? For what period of length are they allegedly providing battery capacity warranty coverage? I've never heard of a verified report of any extended warranty extending the 5 year/60K capacity warranty. (See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... ed#p513705.)

You do know what the "battery already has 8 years of coverage" actually covers, right?

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15731
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Extended Warranty opinions ...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:28 pm

If you can easily afford the $2k, then make sure the warranty covers the HVAC and infotainment systems, as these are the only likely sources of warranty claims. The problem with the 8 year battery warranty in question is that it's for manufacturing defects only, and these defects usually show up within the 5 year powertrain warranty anyway. If you can't easily afford the warranty, it's not a great deal.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cmwade77
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:04 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Re: Extended Warranty opinions ...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:If you can easily afford the $2k, then make sure the warranty covers the HVAC and infotainment systems, as these are the only likely sources of warranty claims. The problem with the 8 year battery warranty in question is that it's for manufacturing defects only, and these defects usually show up within the 5 year powertrain warranty anyway. If you can't easily afford the warranty, it's not a great deal.
I have never seen an extended warranty that covers these items.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15731
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Extended Warranty opinions ...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:27 pm

cmwade77 wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:If you can easily afford the $2k, then make sure the warranty covers the HVAC and infotainment systems, as these are the only likely sources of warranty claims. The problem with the 8 year battery warranty in question is that it's for manufacturing defects only, and these defects usually show up within the 5 year powertrain warranty anyway. If you can't easily afford the warranty, it's not a great deal.
I have never seen an extended warranty that covers these items.
Nissan's Gold Preferred warranty does. I know, because I got one for a year after my 3 year warranty ended.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Baltneu
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:54 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Re: Extended Warranty opinions ...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Most if not all extended warranties are a waste of money.
If you think of the repairs you may need over the time you will own car, you would have had to put out $2000 to make it worth it.
The people who sell these warranties know it. Can you cancel and get your money back.
And by the way, it’s not $2000 you spent. You have to figure the opportunity cost on this money, you could save it and earn interest or spent it on something else and get enjoyment
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

User avatar
Stanton
Forum Supporter
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Extended Warranty opinions ...

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 am

cmwade77 wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:If you can easily afford the $2k, then make sure the warranty covers the HVAC and infotainment systems, as these are the only likely sources of warranty claims. The problem with the 8 year battery warranty in question is that it's for manufacturing defects only, and these defects usually show up within the 5 year powertrain warranty anyway. If you can't easily afford the warranty, it's not a great deal.
I have never seen an extended warranty that covers these items.
I have...on my Leaf (now expired after 7 years).
I just can't see how any extended warranty is worth $2k. Mine was < $1k, and I only bought that because no one but a dealer even had parts for a Leaf 7 years ago (although that's kind of still true).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
Lithium Pros 12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”