60 kWh LEAF Introduction Placed on HOLD

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SageBrush

https://insideevs.com/nissan-postpones-launch-60-kwh-leaf-e-plus/amp/

Ghosn is the excuse, not the actual reason. I say this because a car that is only weeks to a few months away from launch represents a huge investment and sunk costs. The real reasons could be any of

1. Unprofitable for the foreseeable future and uncompetitive with the Tesla Model 3
2. No deal with LG (or anybody else) for the battery
3. Still far away from production

The 40 kWh LEAF was a stop-gap because the 60 kWh LEAF was not ready. I've always presumed the issue was battery procurement and I suspect this is still the case since there has not been any announcement of a battery deal. I expect the echo chamber to be shortly flooded by PR telling us just how *great* the current battery chemistry is and that a TMS is a bad idea :lol:

SageBrush said:
The real reasons could be any of

1. Unprofitable for the foreseeable future
4. Not wanting the news about Ghosn to overshadow the E-Plus announcement.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
The real reasons could be any of

1. Unprofitable for the foreseeable future

ROFL !!!
Notice any other vehicle announcements on hold for Nissan ?

Nissan said (I paraphrase a little here): On HOLD until the Ghosn issue is cleared up. That could mean after a couple years of trials and appeals, or it could mean when Ghosn is released from jail in a decade of so. It should be obvious that the LEAF 60 kWh is dead.

Nissan placed the LEAF on life-support years ago; in fact somewhat coincident with their decision to exit battery manufacturing. I told you all so.

I don't see Ghosn as the reason for the delay, but as the reason the LEAF effort persevered as long as it has. I've always had the impression that Nissan were of two minds when it came to LEAF, at least outside of Japanese market. The pro-EV mind is gone. The foot-draggers remain.

WetEV said:
https://insideevs.com/nissan-postpones-launch-60-kwh-leaf-e-plus/ says
“While the automakers have stressed that operations and business are proceeding as normal, Nissan has postponed the launch of its high-performance Leaf electric car “to ensure that this important product unveiling could receive the coverage it merits”, a Nissan spokesman said.”

“Nissan called off the launch of a high-performance Leaf electric car, cancelling Nov. 28 events in Yokohama and Amsterdam.”
Nubo said:
I don't see Ghosn as the reason for the delay, but as the reason the LEAF effort persevered as long as it has. I've always had the impression that Nissan were of two minds when it came to LEAF, at least outside of Japanese market. The pro-EV mind is gone. The foot-draggers remain.
Agreed, unfortunately. :(

Am I reading into this that with Ghosn gone, the whole Leaf future is dead?

Actually, I wont mind a delay for the 60KWH battery... That will keep me from running out and buying a new car. I will keep on driving my old Leaf with no guilt!!

Oh, well, now Nissan won't spoil the public perception of 60kwh batteries with TMS by producing one that degrades rapidly. Other manufacturers are finally figuring out how to produce a good EV.

Sounds like wait and see in a few years and then catch up some more. Nissan had the chance in this industry but frankly they blew it and now have a bad reputation. Perhaps they can come up with a new name in the future besides "LEAF" Loosing Advantage After Failure" Says it all.

Given the price increase on battery replacements going up to $8,000 I suspect that battery pricing is the issue. They likely don't have a good deal on cells any more, issues with TMS development, or both.

WetEV said:

If they wanted to show that Nissan doesn't depend on Ghosn - the best thing they could have done was to continue with Leaf 60 kWh launch. Now it looks like the new management doesn't have its heart in the EV program, that's all.

SageBrush said:
Nissan said (I paraphrase a little here): On HOLD until the Ghosn issue is cleared up. That could mean after a couple years of trials and appeals, or it could mean when Ghosn is released from jail in a decade of so.
So, you don't buy the "palace coup" theory ?

evnow said:
SageBrush said:
Nissan said (I paraphrase a little here): On HOLD until the Ghosn issue is cleared up. That could mean after a couple years of trials and appeals, or it could mean when Ghosn is released from jail in a decade of so.
So, you don't buy the "palace coup" theory ?
Oh, I agree that Ghosn in jail was fortuitous timing to announce the delay/hold/stop.

If you are asking whether I think the Ghosn charges are fabricated to dispose of him, then no. On the other hand corporations hide unbelievable criminal acts when they think it suits their interests. Just ask the Catholic Church. My overall take on Ghosn is that he is a criminal, outed by a whistle-blower and not protected by Nissan. If Nissan had wanted to keep Ghosn they would have found a way to explain away or sweep under the carpet his gross malfeasance.

That is the thing with conspiracy theories: they often have a grain of truth, amplified through a distorted and selective point of view. Nissan was tired of Ghosn and Renault's influence, and he gave them a perfect way to kick his ass to the curb. Do not doubt the malfeasance though: even the Renault directors placed on the Nissan board voted for his ouster after review of the interval investigation of his actions.

Glad I didn't wait for the 60 kWh Leaf. I liked the Leaf 2 when I test drove it, but the range was still a little short of my needs, especially when allowing for anticipated degradation. I figured the 60 kWh version would have had enough spare capacity to work for me. But it wasn't available when I decided it was time to replace another ICEV, so I went with a PHEV.

Considering how happy we've been with our 2013 Leaf and how much I liked the Leaf 2, this is very disappointing news.

SageBrush said:
Nissan placed the LEAF on life-support years ago; in fact somewhat coincident with their decision to exit battery manufacturing. I told you all so.
LeftieBiker said:
Oh, well, now Nissan won't spoil the public perception of 60kwh batteries with TMS by producing one that degrades rapidly. Other manufacturers are finally figuring out how to produce a good EV.
Could you two guys cut us all a bit of a break and go haunt some other website for a while. Maybe you could start your own called "I Hate the Nissan Leaf". The rest of us could go there when we wanted a dose of vitriol - or not!

I DRIVE a Nissan Leaf, and don't "hate" it. I hate a few of Nissan's corporate decisions that have lessened the car, but I did choose to lease one - twice. Maybe you can filter me and anyone else who doesn't just praise the car...?

LeftieBiker said:
I DRIVE a Nissan Leaf, and don't "hate" it. I hate a few of Nissan's corporate decisions that have lessened the car, but I did choose to lease one - twice. Maybe you can filter me and anyone else who doesn't just praise the car...?
I don't expect you or anyone else to express anything less than their actual experiences with the vehicle. I do get tired, however, of your repeated angry attacks that are nothing but jaded opinion. I don't think they are helpful, and I don't think that kind of thing adds anything to the usefulness of the site. And simply being a fanboy for the Leaf would not either - for that matter.

I can't imagine the "hold" would be more than a few weeks at most. Not sure where folks are coming up with years.

Asalvo said:
I can't imagine the "hold" would be more than a few weeks at most. Not sure where folks are coming up with years.

The simplest future would be for NIssan to wait for the negative news to die out, then do the announcement. The factory ramp up is underway, and it would be costly to end or delay. Even if the plan of the new management is to end the LEAF, it would likely be easier and cheaper to continue this model's production and just never develop another.

Back