New owner: 2012 SL new battery, any concerns with these Leafspy #s

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I just bought a 2012 SL. The carfax shows the battery was replaced in July 2017, but the previous owner said it was replaced possibly in 2016 or early 2017 (by another previous owner).

Here are the Leafspy Pro stats after a full charge from a L1 charger. Are there any concerns here?

AHr=59.17
SOH=92.74%
394.83V
Hx=80.91%
odo=46,848 mi
151 QCs & 1936 L1/L2s
SOC=90.8%

Thanks!

Looking again, it occurs to me that Carfax does not, AFAIK, usually mention replacement of the traction battery. (Confirmation or correction from other people is desired here.) It DOES mention replacement of the little 12 volt battery. If this is the original traction battery, then two possibilities exist: either the car was kept very cool and is a rare 2012 battery in good shape that would degrade rapidly in a hotter climate, or, possibly, the BMS was reset a few weeks ago to hide capacity loss. That might possibly explain the low Hx. Does the seller seem trustworthy? Replacement of a traction battery is a process that is much harder to forget than replacement of the 12 volt accessory battery. Look for positive confirmation in the receipts...

The SOH and HX is not that odd, as I have a 2015 and have a SOH - 91.1 % and HX - 84% . I would imagine that a 2012 would have a battery replacement to have those stats, however... How about contacting Nissan to confirm if a new battery was ever installed?? They are the only ones who would have done this... No?

Thanks all. The seller did seem trustworthy, but I'll take the car to a Nissan dealership to have the battery checked out.

I have an 80 mile round trip commute, 50-60% of the commute is bumper to bumper highway traffic, the rest of the time I try to keep my speed around 65 mph.

I was able to finish the round trip yesterday on one charge. Here are some stats when I got home:

SOC 15.6%
30 GIDS
2.3 kWh
16,171 Wh

80 miles round trip commute on a 24kWh pack is adventurous. Fortunately your weather shouldn't be an issue but that is really pushing the limits IMHO. I'd look for a way to get a few kWh charging in during the day as it would make the return trip much less stressful, at least for me.

If you can do 80 miles on a single charge with some 65mph freeway you are doing fine. I'm not sure my 2015 with 92% SOH would do that. If you charged at work....that's another story.

I definitely have range anxiety and found myself glancing at Leafspy too much.

There are chargers and outlets at work, but unfortunately due to change of ownership, the building turned them off. Until they turn them back on I'll be doing 80 miles on single charges and charging along the way if needed. I'd charge during lunch but there aren't any chargers close by.

Btw, called Nissan and confirmed the traction battery was replaced in March 2017.

Hi again, a couple months ago I posted my Leafspy numbers, posted again below. The AHr, SOH and Hx have dropped and am wondering if this is normal and if the following could be cause for this:

- Winter driving in Los Angeles
- L2 charging. I was previously mainly doing L1 charging and didn't see a drop. A month ago I started doing L2 for all charging at home and noticed a gradual decline after that. But again, not sure if it's because the weather got colder.
- (Me being paranoid) Was my battery reset? I confirmed with Nissan that a new traction battery was installed in March 2017, but I'm still wondering if it could have been reset even after the replacement. How long after a reset do you see a drop, and how much of a drop do you see?

Thanks!

11/26/2018 stats
AHr=59.17
SOH=92.74%
394.83V
Hx=80.91%
odo=46,848 mi
151 QCs & 1936 L1/L2s
SOC=90.8%

1/28/19 stats
AHr=57.49
SOH=90.12%
394.19V
Hx=77.67%
odo=0 (not sure why it says 0, but I'm about to hit 49k)
158 QCs & 2056 L1/L2s

The second reading was taken with the car fully booted up, right? Readings taken during bootup can be unreliable. Otherwise that does seem to be a significant loss for a supposed Lizard pack replacement. A QC session on a cool day may raise the SOH, but we don't think that this boost is a real increase in capacity...

Thanks @LeftieBiker

The second reading from 1/28 was actually taken while the car was off but charging.

However, my reading from the day before while fully booted up is similar:

1/27/19
AHr=57.526
SOH=90.17%
384.14V
Hx=77.73%
odo=48,983
158 QCs & 2054 L1/L2s

Would you say that the car's pack gets hot (8 bars or more) regularly?

No not at all. It's usually in the 4-6 bar range for temp during my 40 mile one way commute. I've only seen temps that high after the handful of QC's I've done on long trips.

Back