Poll : Number of miles before losing the first bar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

# of miles before losing the first battery capacity bar

• 0-10,000

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • 10,001-20,000

Votes: 83 19.3%
  • 20,001-30,000

Votes: 117 27.3%
  • 30,001-40,000

Votes: 103 24.0%
  • 40,001-50,000

Votes: 51 11.9%
  • 50,001-60,000

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • 60,001+

Votes: 28 6.5%

• Total voters
powersurge said:
I have a 2015, going on 4 years of use in two more months, and 50,000 miles. I still have 12 bars, and 95% SOH. I've been very lucky..

powersurge what is your secret? How are you charging and to what levels? I think I am going to try to follow in your tire tracks with my 2018.

jusgetalong said:
powersurge said:
I have a 2015, going on 4 years of use in two more months, and 50,000 miles. I still have 12 bars, and 95% SOH. I've been very lucky..

powersurge what is your secret? How are you charging and to what levels? I think I am going to try to follow in your tire tracks with my 2018.

Well, I almost exclusively use the Level II in my garage, and chargepoint stations. I Used a Level III fast QC about once a month when I go beyond my normal round trip. I think that it has also been important to not go below 25% charge. I also do not leave it charged for long periods. I set the car to start charging automatically at about 6 in the morning, and it is fully charged when I leave for work at 8-8:30 am. I get home from work in the afternoons with about 40%-%50 charge. I Plug the car into my charger overnight, but it does not charge until the morning.

I guess that the secret is to leave the car at 50% when you are not using it....

Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of my 2014 Leaf. 148500km, 92200mi. Still haven't lost my first bar, SOH ~87%.

Secret sauce - keep it charged at 80% by default. You can charge as soon as you want (if battery is not hot).
Don't be afraid to drain down to 3% on weekly basis.
Don't be afraid to continue charging above 80% in winter to compensate for range loss due to cold weather BEFORE departure.
Keep temperature up to 5 bars for most of the time.
Do not recharge above low battery warning if above 7 bars. It's ok to continue the trip and quick charging until destination.
Rapid charge for short time - I often charged 10 minutes, just to reach destination or next charger. Then charge on 230V.
If battery is warm (6 bars or more) - be gentle - don't floor it, just drive fast, up to 105km/h(65mph) is really ok for gen1.
You won't build up more heat this way and you will lose heat after rapid charging.

Right now it is the hottest weather for my Leaf, 29*C in shade. Battery 29-32*C, 6 bars. I can't get above 6 bars without QC.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Can we do a similar poll, except this time show years instead of miles.

Then a third pole showing a intersection of both variables?

I just turned owning my 2015 to 5 years last week.
I have not dropped any bars,
I have put 63,000 miles on her, and have 92% SOH

DougWantsALeaf said:
That’s fantastic.

Do you fast charge at all?

Yes, at least once per month when I am low to get home, there is a free QC on a highway "Welcome Center" near work. But I only let the QC charge to about 80% because going higher takes a LONG time...

I think that I lucked out with the battery because I bought the car as the it was being delivered to the dealer... Right off the truck, and the car spent NO time sitting on a lot for months... It felt great... Like getting fresh bread at the Bakery!

powersurge said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
That’s fantastic.

Do you fast charge at all?

Yes, at least once per month when I am low to get home, there is a free QC on a highway "Welcome Center" near work. But I only let the QC charge to about 80% because going higher takes a LONG time...

I think that I lucked out with the battery because I bought the car as the it was being delivered to the dealer... Right off the truck, and the car spent NO time sitting on a lot for months... It felt great... Like getting fresh bread at the Bakery!

Same here; car still had the protective plastic sheeting from transport and had to wait for them to prep it. Hit 5 years at the beginning of November and still has all 12 bars. Only about 26000 miles, but still a markedly better battery performance than the 2012 I leased.

arnis said:
Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of my 2014 Leaf. 148500km, 92200mi. Still haven't lost my first bar, SOH ~87%.

Secret sauce - keep it charged at 80% by default. You can charge as soon as you want (if battery is not hot).
Don't be afraid to drain down to 3% on weekly basis.
Don't be afraid to continue charging above 80% in winter to compensate for range loss due to cold weather BEFORE departure.
Keep temperature up to 5 bars for most of the time.
Do not recharge above low battery warning if above 7 bars. It's ok to continue the trip and quick charging until destination.
Rapid charge for short time - I often charged 10 minutes, just to reach destination or next charger. Then charge on 230V.
If battery is warm (6 bars or more) - be gentle - don't floor it, just drive fast, up to 105km/h(65mph) is really ok for gen1.
You won't build up more heat this way and you will lose heat after rapid charging.

Right now it is the hottest weather for my Leaf, 29*C in shade. Battery 29-32*C, 6 bars. I can't get above 6 bars without QC.

We have a 2015 Ser here at 145,000 miles with 12 bars who violated well over half your suggestions. Might want to consider your climate's contributions to your effort. FYI; since his car is newer than yours, it makes sense that his SOH is higher than yours.

Looks like I should make at least 40,000 miles on this battery before the first bar drops.
Not going to make it another 10,000 miles on 3/4 of a %.

Few weeks ago 100 000 miles (162 000km) whoosed by.
SOH spiked to 94% just before winter.

I still.. very often... discharge below 5%. Much much more often than charge to 100%.
It looks like low SOC is really OK. Like... it must be. Otherwise my battery wouldn't be in an excellent state.

So recommendation "keep it between 20%-80%" doesn't hold.

Back