The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaf SV

Black Leaf SV no options
Edited this to reflect a renegotiation to a better price.

MSRP $33850
Dealer discount $4186
Lease rebate state and Nissan $12000
Total lease payments 36 months $10268
Residual $11160

Total price $21428 includes taxes and fees

There will be taxes at the residual purchase and probably a fee, but I’m happy with the price.

Nissan dealer in CO

Posting my purchase experience for my 2nd LEAF.

2018 Leaf SV with Tech Package + All Weather package - White Dual tone paint, ProPilot
Got it from Raceway Nissan in Riverside, CA

Sticker MSRP $37,500
Total Discounts $7,860
- Dealer discount $4,860
- Nissan Loyalty $1,000
- Nissan Grad Cash $1,000
- NMAC Cash for Financing $1,000 -
- 0% financing for 60 months

Pre-Fed/State Rebates Total Cost $29,640

I'm eligible for $7,500 Federal Rebate and CA State EV Rebate $2,500 which brings the effective cost to $19,640

Taxes, Registration, Fees $3,150

Had a 2016 Leaf SL Premium 34,000 miles (on a LEASE with 8 months left with payoff at $15,200) to Trade in and got a Trade-in of $13,500 (Carmax had appraised at $11,200)

I guess the Dealer wanted to get it off their lot. Couldn't refuse the great discount offer and Trade in price offered. I was in double mind if I wanted to wait for the improved longer range 2019 one . But this deal sealed it. Gets me a new HOV sticker. I have an 80 mile daily commute and I don't think I'm going to run out of juice even after several years of battery degradation.

Quite happy with the ProPilot assist.

So extremely happy to finally be able to talk about my brand new 2019 Nissan Leaf!!!

Went into the dealership with a deal on the 2019 SV Gunmetal- price agreed 34K
While discussing things I asked about the Glacier White SL they also had on lot.. they offered it for only 2K MORE!!! :shock:

After trade in, and down payment financed about 14K... will put all gov incentives into the loan..come February.

Dealership was over 70 miles away, left with a full battery, drove home, went shopping and eat, then came to work today and STILL have over 47% battery remaining!!! Drove approx 80 miles so far including interstate miles!!!

ProPilot is simply amazing.

All around view is life changing.

Apple Car play is wonderful.

Ride is of course super quiet and smooth as glass.

As I type this my electrician is installing my 240v outlet for all of my charging needs.

So happy and thrilled with my new EV!!!!!

'I got my Leaf' last Friday (December 14).

2016 'S' model
24kWh battery
6.6kW charger upgrade
~18,100 miles
Pearl White
Black interior
Nissan Certified Pre-Owned warranty
$15K out the door

Today I received the OEM all-season floor mats (999E4-8Z000), and installed them right away. Those will definitely help around here (Pacific Northwest).

This was apparently a lease return. I've put about 100 miles on it so far . . . my range requirements are not very high, so I can probably get by with charging once per week. For now trickle charging will be enough . . . will explore L2 charging options at some point.

Will also will be exploring aftermarket wheels and tires, with emphasis on light weight. Current tires are about halfway through their usable tread depth.

It's my first electric vehicle, and so far I'm happy with it.

Arrived home earlier after a 7 1/2 hour drive RT from Apex, NC with my new-to-me Gun Metallic 2015 SV, less than 14K miles, and out the door price of $14k. Originally planned to have it shipped up, but nobody could do that fast enough for my taste, so I enlisted my brother, his truck and a U-Haul vehicle trailer.

It had the TCU upgrade performed (working flawlessly for now, but aware of the battery drain issues) and best of all, my L2 EVSE arrived (32A MUSTART) arrived just before I got the car home. Charging currently and my first priority is to pump the tires up to 40 psi.

This one has no QC port, but that's not an issue for me since we may never have one in our surrounding area. For now, I'm happy with L2 charging at home, with 3 free public L2 stations in our area (thank you Volvo!)

Even after my initial test drive, I'm still amazed at how quiet it is, even compared to the Prius I'm keeping for long distance trips.

jespcub said:
Arrived home earlier after a 7 1/2 hour drive RT from Apex, NC with my new-to-me Gun Metallic 2015 SV, less than 14K miles, and out the door price of $14k. Originally planned to have it shipped up, but nobody could do that fast enough for my taste, so I enlisted my brother, his truck and a U-Haul vehicle trailer.

It had the TCU upgrade performed (working flawlessly for now, but aware of the battery drain issues) and best of all, my L2 EVSE arrived (32A MUSTART) arrived just before I got the car home. Charging currently and my first priority is to pump the tires up to 40 psi.

This one has no QC port, but that's not an issue for me since we may never have one in our surrounding area. For now, I'm happy with L2 charging at home, with 3 free public L2 stations in our area (thank you Volvo!)

Even after my initial test drive, I'm still amazed at how quiet it is, even compared to the Prius I'm keeping for long distance trips.

Grats Jespcup!!!

Got my 2018 SV with tech package last night. Dealer only had red or pearl white in stock.. 2 tone white inventory are scarce now, dealers know and wouldn’t work on price on it.

Didn’t realize that the Navi wasn’t set up until I got home (no gps card in the Sd card slot) gotta schedule to bring the car back already :/

Coming from a 2016 sv there are def improvements. Miss the heated seats that was standard in the SV. Love the LED that came with the tech pkg. couldn’t stand the super dim lights from the ‘16

Just got a 2013 Leaf S. My first EV, inspired by practicality and my Earth conscious grandkids! Loving the experience: Quiet quiet quiet! Plenty of power and room enough to haul my stuff!

Picked up a 2016 Leaf last month. Just found this forum and already it had helped me figure out how to have the heat on what plugged in.

Great forum guys.

Love the car, love the silence, love driving past petrol stations without stopping.

While I am still a believer that Nissan needs to liquid cool their batteries, when it came time to find a temp replacement for the 2011 essentially useless Leaf I went with another one. The wife (who drives daily) was completely against Volt and Bolt feels too chincy.

So bought 2019 Red SV model and drove today.

First, I missed out on a few features on SV that SL had like autodimming mirror and home link. I think that is something that should be on the base model! The comfort is okay, maybe I will get more comfortable in the seat over time. The new dash layout is a change, more conventional with standard speedo, not more tree building, and a layout that is less Nissan Parts throw together.

The driving experience is excellent. The car has more pickup for sure and it is clear that the stronger motor has an easier time keeping the car at highway speeds without blowing threw the battery. I drove about 42 miles from home to work, most at 65-75 MPH, started off with 160 (10 more than advertised) and pulled in with 75% battery left and estimated range of 120 miles. Nice surprise there and didn't even bother to look for a charging point to get home.

Overall the Leaf is a great car. I wish Nissan would switch to liquid cooling, why o' why not? The battery now has a 8 year warranty for keeping a charge, with of course Nissan's disgression on what level you NEED to lose to cash in. i have no doubt that in 3 years the battery will still be close to new car, but I will be probably giving it back vs. paying the $13k residual.

I am giving my 2011 Leaf to a new company Fenix Power that plans to use my car as a test mule for a new 65kilowatt battery pack that will be liquid cooled, should give the car well over 200 miles. He's giving it back to me with that battery! More on that as I know.

I have been a lurker in this forum for quite some time, but I finally decided to register.

I had never owned a car. I live in Tokyo, which has excellent public transportation, so for my general transportation needs, I had never needed to own a car.

For the past 5 years I've driven more and more, always on rental cars. I have rented Leafs several times since 2012, and even four times in 2018 for road trips. It is by far the most interesting and exciting car I've ever driven.

Nevertheless, even though the charging infrastructure is excellent here in Japan, 40kWh was still a bit lacking for road trips, which is my main interest in getting a car.

But that all changed this year. Two weeks ago, I finally decided to take the leap, and bought a brand new 62kWh Yellow-Black Nissan Leaf e-plus, G grade. The car is expected to leave the factory on February 26, and delivered a few days later.

Last weekend, I did a test drive on the newly delivered test car at the dealership, and apart from definitely having greater acceleration, and the range display showing 650+km left on 99% charge, it is surprisingly similar to the 40kWh model. The G grade has leather seats as standard though.

I'll let you know how it goes once I get the keys.

FAQ

Q: Why not a Tesla?
A: They do have them here in Japan, but are crazy expensive. The supercharger network is pathetic, and the car is simply too large: it won't even fit on most parking spaces.

Q: Why not a model 3?
A: They are still taking pre-orders. They haven't delivered the first one. For all purposes, it is simply vaporware.

Q: Why not a Kona/Bolt/whatever?
A: They're not available in Japan. The only serious EVs in Japan are the model S and the Leaf.

Q: CHAdeMO sux lololol
A: Maybe where you live, but definitely not in Japan. We have thousands of public quick chargers all over Japan, with one in almost every highway service area and rest stop. You can also charge in almost all Nissan dealers, and lots of malls, supermarkets and other public locations. All of these chargers are CHAdeMO, and I get to charge all I want for a flat rate of 2000 yen/month.

Q: What about the lack of liquid cooling?
A: I did notice that charging gets slower after the first charge. I also heard this was resolved with a software update. I suppose they didn't put liquid cooling on the e-plus because doing so would make the car's height over 1550mm (the 40kWh is 1540mm, while the e-plus is 1545mm). 1550mm is a magic number, because many automated parking spaces in Japan (including the one I have at home) have a height limit of 1550mm. If a car goes above this number, it won't fit on a large amount of parking spaces anymore. I prefer to not have liquid cooling, over not being able to have a Leaf at all.

papayaparty said:
Q: CHAdeMO sux lololol
A: Maybe where you live, but definitely not in Japan. We have thousands of public quick chargers all over Japan, with one in almost every highway service area and rest stop. You can also charge in almost all Nissan dealers, and lots of malls, supermarkets and other public locations. All of these chargers are CHAdeMO, and I get to charge all I want for a flat rate of 2000 yen/month.

Q: What about the lack of liquid cooling?
A: I did notice that charging gets slower after the first charge. I also heard this was resolved with a software update. I suppose they didn't put liquid cooling on the e-plus because doing so would make the car's height over 1550mm (the 40kWh is 1540mm, while the e-plus is 1545mm). 1550mm is a magic number, because many automated parking spaces in Japan (including the one I have at home) have a height limit of 1550mm. If a car goes above this number, it won't fit on a large amount of parking spaces anymore. I prefer to not have liquid cooling, over not being able to have a Leaf at all.

THANK YOU SIR! For you might've provided the single best answer many of us have been wondering about WHY Nissan kept their battery passively-cooled!

Edit: 5mm is less than 1/4 inch!

Got a Leaf!

I should start with this factoid; I did not intend to get a Leaf, but I ended up with one through a circuitous process and I love it.

The whole story starts with my motorcycle going into the shop, leaving me without a good way to get to work (60 mile round trip from Santa Clarita to Hollywood). I rented a Tesla Model 3 and fell deeply in love with it—from it's minimalist styling inside and out, its amazing speed, the beauty of the free Tesla supercharger network (free for now anyway). The thing feels like a car from the future, more spaceship than car in some ways. This sold me on EVs, or what an EV could be. Using the HOV lane all the way to work was a thing of beauty.

As the temps in California dropped (yes, I rode home on a motorcycle in 39 degree weather where I live) and as the rains came in, I really ratched up my search for my next car, despite my weak credit that I'm building back up (I was without a job for too long, despite trying).

Initially I was looking through Shift.com, where I could sort used vehicles by max cost ($20k), max mileage (40-50k), color, EV, etc. The e-Golf caught my attention, but the range on anything made before 2017 is just too short (83 miles) to cover my 60-mile round trip, considering battery degradation, heat and A/C usage, spirited driving in fast SoCal flow, etc. Also, I read that the 2015 model year wouldn't even let me use the HOV lane solo, which was most of the point of getting an EV (I've already tasted freedom here because I generally commute year-round on a motorcycle in the HOV lane).

A 2018 Nissan Leaf S popped up. Base model, yes, but it has the optional fast-charge kit installed. BINGO. 9069 miles, $20k sticker, clean Carfax, no accidents, one prior owner, external color I like (white) with my preferred interior color (black), and a 151 mile range! It's bigger than I want or need, and a little faster than the e-Golf (not that I'm buying an EV for speed). Also, there's a CHAdeMO charger about 4 miles from my place which I scouted before the purchase, so that is another good thing.

I pulled the trigger on the Leaf and well, here I am! Nice to meet all of you, and I gotta thank the e-Golf forum for urging me to get something with more range. How right they were.

Now I really want a Level 2 charger in my garage. I need recommendations for which brand and model to get, but I'll check the rest of the forum for that. :)

Back