60 kWh LEAF Introduction Placed on HOLD

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the rumors and no solid info, we will have to wait until it hits the dealers lots

Baltneu said:
With all the rumors and no solid info, we will have to wait until it hits the dealers lots

The info seems solid enough. Its all about how we choose to accept it. I didn't see "anything" that said or implied that deliveries would be delayed...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Baltneu said:

The info seems solid enough. Its all about how we choose to accept it. I didn't see "anything" that said or implied that deliveries would be delayed...

What info is solid, all we know it was postponed, we do not know if it will be re-introduced at a later date. No info given that I saw that deliveries will start at a certain time. If solid enough for you, you are sure entitled to that. Good luck.

Baltneu said:
OrientExpress said:
The 60kWh version will start hitting dealers in California by the end of march, early April. Supply will be constrained at first mainly because of the ramping of the new battery by the suppliers. Don't expect any discounts, but do expect high lease costs on this vehicle.

How do you know this to be true? We know from press reports that the 60kwh version has been postponed. How do you know it starts up end of March/April ?

Because I am in the business and asked the people responsible for postponing the launch announcement. And to clarify, press reports do not say that the 60kwh version has been postponed, but that the launch announcement has been postponed.

OrientExpress said:
Baltneu said:
OrientExpress said:
The 60kWh version will start hitting dealers in California by the end of march, early April. Supply will be constrained at first mainly because of the ramping of the new battery by the suppliers. Don't expect any discounts, but do expect high lease costs on this vehicle.

How do you know this to be true? We know from press reports that the 60kwh version has been postponed. How do you know it starts up end of March/April ?

Because I am in the business and asked the people responsible for postponing the launch announcement. And to clarify, press reports do not say that the 60kwh version has been postponed, but that the launch announcement has been postponed.

“While the automakers have stressed that operations and business are proceeding as normal, Nissan has postponed the launch of its high-performance Leaf electric car “to ensure that this important product unveiling could receive the coverage it merits”, a Nissan spokesman said.”

That sure sounds to me like Nissan is saying that the launch is postponed and not just the announcement.

https://insideevs.com/nissan-postpones-launch-60-kwh-leaf-e-plus/

Lets look at some recent history...

I googled 2018 LEAF launch date;

2018 Nissan Leaf release date
Nissan Leaf 2018: Release date and price. The new Nissan Leaf was announced on 6 September 2017, several weeks before the Tokyo Motor Show. It will go on sale on 2 October in Japan, with the US, Canada and Europe following in January 2018.

OE makes a good point -- the unveiling was delayed. The start of sales and ramp, both in Japan out internationally, have been and remain opaque.

My OP jumped to unwarranted conclusions. This may be nothing more than NIssan needing some time to replace Ghosn at the unveiling.

Looks like we have a new launch date for CES in Vegas so just around the corner...

But I am guessing that is not going to be the topic of the day... ;)

GetOffYourGas said:
What do you know that I don't, Dave?

Surprised you have not seen this yet.

https://www.electrive.com/2018/12/04/exclusive-long-range-leaf-to-debut-without-liquid-cooling/?fbclid=IwAR3ujOPxfY_5phMUW-_6RvnIC3C1HER3hZTtpBmc0NjWPWZCc0qjS8Yxsqg

DaveinOlyWA said:

I was referring to this part. Is there something else big planned for CES? Or are you just saying that those watching CES don't give a hoot about the Leaf?

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I was referring to this part. Is there something else big planned for CES? Or are you just saying that those watching CES don't give a hoot about the Leaf?

I was referring to the absence of liquid cooling.

Are there other sources for the below in bold/underlined.

https://electrek.co/2018/12/04/60kwh-nissan-leaf-to-debut-at-ces-w-100kw-charging-200-hp-well-be-there/

100kW CHAdeMO
Along with the 60kWh battery pack, which sadly is still rumored to be passively air cooled, Nissan is expected to up its CHAdeMO charging speeds to 100kW. That’s an impressive charging speed and we hope we’ll get some corresponding announcements from charging providers that will announce 100kW additions/upgrades to their network. The only current US vehicle with 100kW CHAdeMO is the Kia Soul EV which just got replaced by a double sized battery version that will now charge via CCS combo.

Battery Supplier
Nissan recently abandoned its own battery production arm and decided to outsource its battery production, as the new LEAF will reportedly source its pack from LG. That’s where its competition Chevy Bolt and Hyundai are sourcing their 60-ish kWh batteries from too so don’t expect too much differentiation there.

Another article on it. Wow.

https://www.electrive.com/2018/12/04/exclusive-long-range-leaf-to-debut-without-liquid-cooling/

When this information was conveyed at an event for Nissan dealers yesterday, a whisper could be heard across the rows as it became clear that the 60 kWh battery will have to go along without liquid cooling. The lack of such active heat dissipation had already led to the issue known as Rapidgate on social media. Back then, the current battery generation (40 kWh) exhibited problems with repeated DC charging, especially in hot climates. The necessary reduction in charging capacity in turn led to significantly longer charging times – a nuisance on long journeys, as the editors of electrive.net had to find more than once.

Nissan would have to offer crazy good warranty on 60 KWH battery, otherwise I am not sure they will find many brave hearts to cover over $15K for battery replacement.

Well, there are a couple of advantages, one being that there is virtually no vampire drain. Leave your Tesla at an airport for 6 weeks and it’s pretty much a brick. A Leaf might lose 3 percent of charge. There may be more but not sure.

Back