Make a switch to force a low speed governor?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNicG

I'd like a switch or something to force the car into what I would consider a "golf cart mode". I like to cruise around my subdivision in the evening and I find it hard to keep a steady speed under 20MPH. (I like to cruise at about 12MPH). What I'd like to do is somehow govern the speed to a limit of around 25MPH.
I figure there are a few possible ways to do this:
Force tortoise mode.
Selectable restriction on throttle cable.
Some way to lower the minimum speed for cruise control.
Maybe a potentiometer on a specific wire.

Any input or other ideas would be great.

I have often wondered if you could force the car in to "turtle mode" without it being caused by a low battery situation.

Or sort of like "chill" mode on a Tesla?

What is needed isn't a speed limiter, but a pedal input remapper. Leaf Box could probably be programmed to stretch just a little input over most of the pedal travel. The other approach would be to find a way to activate cruise control below the current floor...which is 25MPH?

BrockWI said:
I like the Leaf Box idea becasue if you really needed it all the way down could still give you full power if needed.

Yup. It's an unspoken rule that reduced power modes should still offer full power if you floor it.

MrNicG said:
I'd like a switch or something to force the car into what I would consider a "golf cart mode". I like to cruise around my subdivision in the evening and I find it hard to keep a steady speed under 20MPH.

Have you tried the vehicle's Eco mode?

Like you, I find the default throttle-map is too herky-jerky in low-speed situations, but Eco flattens out the torque curve to where I'm comfortable. I use Eco almost exclusively, only dropping out of it when I really need max heating or cooling (unfortunately, Eco nerfs the HVAC to about 50% of its maximum capacity).

Nubo said:
MrNicG said:
I'd like a switch or something to force the car into what I would consider a "golf cart mode". I like to cruise around my subdivision in the evening and I find it hard to keep a steady speed under 20MPH.

Have you tried the vehicle's Eco mode?

Like you, I find the default throttle-map is too herky-jerky in low-speed situations, but Eco flattens out the torque curve to where I'm comfortable. I use Eco almost exclusively, only dropping out of it when I really need max heating or cooling (unfortunately, Eco nerfs the HVAC to about 50% of its maximum capacity).

Nubo,

Thanks for this suggestion! I have been using D-mode (or B-mode on 2015) because it is closer to the accelerator pedal response of other vehicles I drive (and does not interfere with HVAC). I use cruise control on neighborhood streets to avoid the jerkiness, but that does not work for 15 mi/hr school zones. I switched to ECO mode (just touch a button on the steering wheel on 2015) as I approached a school zone after reading your post and was pleasantly surprised at how much easier it was to drive smoothly at low speed. Now I just touch the ECO button when I approach a school zone (while still on cruise control), disengage cruise control to slow down, drive smoothly through school zone, accelerate, engage cruise control, and touch button to return to B-mode.

Back